[GAME OVER] Apocalypse Rising Mafia II: Dark Night

Jeod
Message added by Jeod,

APOCALYPSE RISING MAFIA II

DARK NIGHT

Following the Allies' surrender in the previous iteration, the Soviets have grown more confident and are preparing to mount a nuclear assault. The Allies have responded by infiltrating the missile base, but only have a limited amount of time to disable the silos and destroy the base.

Rules are similar to the previous game, and you may read up on @VERTi60's APB V game with similar mechanics:

• The Soviets (Town) faction will win by eliminating all hostile factions, or if the nuclear missiles can launch (timed victory). The countdown will vary based on how many players sign up for the game. The timer will be announced at game start and each day phase.
  • The Allies (Mafia) faction will win by controlling the day phase votes.
  • If there is a Third Party faction, their win condition is classified.

The following is the rolesheet for this game. You will notice some adjustments have been made since the previous iteration. The rolesheet is subject to change based on number of players and further balancing. Obviously, not every role will make an appearance and not every role will have its maximum quantity. Data on a possible third party role is unavailable.

ROLE MAX QUANTITY DAY ACTION NIGHT ACTION
Conscript 5 ##SHOOT <target> - Attempt to shoot and kill your target (25% stuck chance, 25% kill chance). One time use. ##PRACTICE - Attend target practice and decrease your stuck chance by 25% for the following day. Hostiles will know if you practiced. One time use.
Tesla Trooper 1 ##SHOOT <target> - Attempt to shoot and kill your target (50% stuck chance, 75% kill chance). One time use. ##SURGE <player> - Fire an electrical shot at your target and roleblock them.
Engineer 1 ##SHOOT <target> - Attempt to shoot and kill your target (25% stuck chance, 25% kill chance). One time use. ##REPAIR <target> - Attempt to fix a Missile Silo. Will block infiltrations if they occur at the same time.
Rhino Tank 1 ##SHOOT <target> - Attempt to shoot and kill your target (0% stuck chance, 75% kill chance). One time use. ##PROTECT <player> - Serve as protection for your target. If they are targeted for nightkill, you will die instead.
Radar Tower 1 ##SHOOT <target> - Attempt to shoot and kill your target (100% stuck chance, 0% kill chance). One time use. ##PING <player> - Ping a player and learn their role.
Missile Silo 2 ##SHOOT <target> - Attempt to shoot and kill your target (100% stuck chance, 0% kill chance). One time use. NUCLEAR MISSILE (passive) - If the Silo remains operational on a certain day, Soviets win. If all Silos are destroyed, Soviets lose. If all Silos are infiltrated, timed victory condition is nullified.
Sniper 1 ##SHOOT <target> - Attempt to shoot and kill your target (50% stuck chance, 75% kill chance on infantry, 0% kill chance on vehicles/buildings). One time use. ##SCOUT <player> - Scout a player and learn their role.
Spy 2 ##SHOOT <target> - Attempt to shoot and kill your target (25% stuck chance, 25% kill chance). One time use. ##INFILTRATE <player> - Attempt to infiltrate your target. If it's a Silo, they are disabled. If it's a Radar Tower, their report will be scrambled.
Mirage Tank 1 ##SHOOT <target> - Attempt to shoot and kill your target (0% stuck chance, 75% kill chance). One time use. DISGUISE (passive) - Night actions used on you always fail (target appears blocked). Disguise is lost if you shoot.
Tanya 1 ##SHOOT <target> - Attempt to shoot and kill your target (25% stuck chance, 75% kill chance). One time use. ##KISS IT BYE BYE <target> - Perform an unstoppable kill on your target. One time use.

I'm aiming to start the game on February 19th. Signups will close 24-48 hours before then.

Signed Players (minimum 10)

@Killing_You

@Shade939

@OrangeP47

@ChopBam

@Coolrock

@Category 5 Hurricane

@Anon_Kat

@Retaliation

@FRAYDO

@Mojoman

@Louis

13 minutes ago, Jeod said:

Obligatory note: despite the possibility of a third party, there are absolutely no mid-game major alignment changes in this game, or in any future game I run.

Usually, the complaint is more along the lines that you don't know about a mid-game alignment change mechanic than the actual presence of said mechanic itself, so you can't play the game properly in order to deal with it. And it can give a single player too much control over the outcome of the game based on who they convert.

1 minute ago, Shade939 said:

Usually, the complaint is more along the lines that you don't know about a mid-game alignment change mechanic than the actual presence of said mechanic itself, so you can't play the game properly in order to deal with it. And it can give a single player too much control over the outcome of the game based on who they convert.

Given how much we play CYOR I don't think anyone here really has much of a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about kingmakers, though it's true they are generally regarded as a bastard mechanic.

2 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

Given how much we play CYOR I don't think anyone here really has much of a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about kingmakers, though it's true they are generally regarded as a bastard mechanic.

Sorry I can't go in to detail about it, but given Category 5's view of such things and my own experience (Steins;Gate Mafia), I feel confident that I've worked around the concept quite well. Still, third party is a possibility. In fact, I'll be using rng to see if anyone even gets it.

Just now, Jeod said:

Sorry I can't go in to detail about it, but given Category 5's view of such things and my own experience (Steins;Gate Mafia), I feel confident that I've worked around the concept quite well. Still, third party is a possibility. In fact, I'll be using rng to see if anyone even gets it.

Don't take my comment as complaining.  Indeed, as far as mechanics go, I'm generally in favor of pretty much anything, as long as it's not something *really, really* dumb.  I'm confident you've at least managed to keep it only to a small level of stupidity, at worse ;) :p

6 minutes ago, Jeod said:

There are some fair ways to implement it into a game as a mechanic, but it's best used as the defining characteristic of the setup, so everyone has abilities and roles built around players being converted during the game. As Orange said, it's a Kingmaker role. So it's probably better off in something like a thematic based game, like with Vampires where you have to hunt down the Vampire Progenitor as Town to win the game.

10 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

There are some fair ways to implement it into a game as a mechanic, but it's best used as the defining characteristic of the setup, so everyone has abilities and roles built around players being converted during the game. As Orange said, it's a Kingmaker role. So it's probably better off in something like a thematic based game, like with Vampires where you have to hunt down the Vampire Progenitor as Town to win the game.

It'll be fine, go take an actual stats class so I don't have an aneurism once we actually start playing this time.

35 minutes ago, Coolrock said:

I have no idea what to do, but can I play?

You can certainly give it a shot if you want to.

Although how much you'll enjoy it is based on your own personality and how much you enjoy playing a post based forum game of Mafia. As for what Mafia is, here's a mostly copy/pasted description for it.

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.

At the beginning of the game, the Game Master Game will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases, the first of which is Day. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Eliminate by a group vote; they are trying to get rid of the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are eliminated. Their role is then revealed by the Game Master, and it becomes Night.

During the Night, posting in the thread is limited. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to attempt to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can silence members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the attempted murder is carried out and another Day begins with any killed players roles being revealed by the Game Master. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to try and kill someone.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are gone, or the Mafia have killed everyone else (or nothing can prevent the same from happening).