[GAME OVER] Warhammer 40,000 Mafia 3: On the Edge of Precipice

Retaliation
Message added by Retaliation,

Introduction

"Around the Seventh Blackstone Fortress lies a midden of shattered fleets – the graveyards of those foolish enough to try to take this ancient citadel by force. From the ruins of these failed ventures came a space station – a waypoint for those looking to venture into the fortress themselves. Precipice."

Now even Precipice has come under assault. Not by a crusade of righteous zealots of the Imperial Creed, followers of the dark gods, or by one of the various perfidious alien species that infest the galaxy. By an "acquisitions" group who think the real riches of the blackstone fortress come from managing the last stop in. 

Hello and welcome to the third mafia game based on Games Workshop's Warhammer 40k franchise. This time the shooting mechanics are based on Vert's old APB mafia games that have become popular again. As standard everyone gets some sort of ##attack ability (instead of ##shoot) except results are based on the attack sequence from 40k.

The Game (Stolen from @Killing_You)

This is a forum-based game of "Mafia," in which the majority of players (Town), must decide who among them is part of a hostile faction (Scum), and eliminate them via lynch before scum can whittle down Town numbers via nightkill. This is primarily a socio-analysis game, and success relies upon coordination, communication, and reading your opponent. The game is divided into two phases; day and night. Most of the game takes place during the 48-hour day phases, which are divided up by 24-hour night phases, during which many players have abilities that can help them and their faction achieve victory.

Here town players are the workers and mercenaries who call Precipice their home and referred to as err Town while mafia players are members of the fiendish Interstellar Refurbishing Syndicate. Other factions may make themselves known during the game. It really depends on the player count.

This will probably not have a standard rolesheet like other APB mafia inspired games, especially before the games begin. Instead roles are modular where the players base stats, weapon stats, and abilities are modular. Because of this I can work in a bit of CYOR where players can ask for species/races, weapons (ranged or melee), and abilties. Species determines your base stats, weapons determines both your attacking stats and how they work (melee attacks always get the amount of attacks from your base stats but allows one strike by the defender if they survive), and abilities determines your "role".

See this link for a look at what kinds of rules you're asking for.

http://wahapedia.ru/wh40k9ed/the-rules/playing-this-game/

To make an attack players use the ##attack day action or if they have multiple weapons to use can use the ##shoot or ##melee actions. 

Sign-ups

1. @Killing_You
  2. @OrangeP47
  3. @Shade939
  4. @Coolrock
  5. @Jeod
  6. @Anon_Kat
  7. @FRAYDO
  8. @Mojoman
  9. @Category 5 Hurricane

Bookmarks
Day 1

Night 1

Day 2

Night 2

Day 3 + Game End

17 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

This actually makes 40k sound somewhat interesting, so I'll try.

Last time people wanted to be something other than boring imperials so I'd been trying to figure out a scenario where you could have a jumble of all the different factions.

2 minutes ago, Retaliation said:

Last time people wanted to be something other than boring imperials so I'd been trying to figure out a scenario where you could have a jumble of all the different factions.

TBH that does kinda sum up my problem with it, Imperials are too bland, partially because of whatever religiony mumbo jumbo is going on.  Makes me have some apprehension about Fire Emblem too, but thankfully it's pretty clear in that that *drama is afoot* right from the get go and Edelgard seems like she's preparing to go all anti-christ on Rhea at some point.

But anywho, on topic, is there a good place to get familiar with what flavors might be available to pick from?

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

TBH that does kinda sum up my problem with it, Imperials are too bland, partially because of whatever religiony mumbo jumbo is going on.  Makes me have some apprehension about Fire Emblem too, but thankfully it's pretty clear in that that *drama is afoot* right from the get go and Edelgard seems like she's preparing to go all anti-christ on Rhea at some point.

But anywho, on topic, is there a good place to get familiar with what flavors might be available to pick from?

They have an entire wikia you know.

3 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Flavor wise, it's probably easier to pick a type of character you want to play, then Retaliation to assign a character that matches it.

6 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Here's something with a description of all the armies and a picture of their rulebooks while I try and find a better flavor introduction.

https://creativetwilight.com/warhammer-40k-armies/

Space marines (astartes) are probably too over the top for the game though. Imperial knights are right out :V.

Off the top of my head, you mainly have things like Rogue Traders, Xenos Mercenaries, Inquisitors and their Retinues, Chaos Cultist, Tech Priest and their Retinues.

A Black Stone fortress is an ancient alien space station, containing untold riches and valuables from ages past. Generally anyone who'd want to loot or study powerful relics from an ancient dungeon for their own means. Or would find themselves hired by said people.

3 minutes ago, Retaliation said:

Here's something with a description of all the armies and a picture of their rulebooks while I try and find a better flavor introduction.

https://creativetwilight.com/warhammer-40k-armies/

Space marines (astartes) are probably too over the top for the game though. Imperial knights are right out :V.

This could also work if you need memes

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000#Playable_Races_.26_Factions

1 minute ago, Coolrock said:

I've played Dawn of War!

This will probably be a more chaotic mafia game than the last one, with a greater emphasis on RPG type mechanics.

Still, you're more than welcome to join up, and it's not really expected that you need to be entirely familiar with the settings, so a general understanding works of the universes theme.

1 minute ago, Shade939 said:

This will probably be a more chaotic mafia game than the last one, with a greater emphasis on RPG type mechanics.

Still, you're more than welcome to join up, and it's not really expected that you need to be entirely familiar with the settings, so a general understanding works of the universes theme.

Chaos Space Marines are awesome, and I like RPGs!

I'll be basing stats on 9th edition unit profiles if you want a know what you're actually asking for (assuming you're asking for something that actually has rules).

This site has a listing of pretty much all 9th edition rules because russia.

http://wahapedia.ru/wh40k9ed/the-rules/playing-this-game/

4 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

When's the estimated start date?

Whenever it's done :v

Hopefully around mid march. I can start whenever because the work is mostly going to be frontloaded in fitting roles together. I just need to make sure I finish designing roles before the 15th.