How do you host your own APB server?

3 minutes ago, triattack said:

yeah seems it joined alright

[22:50 19/May/21] * Brenbot (Brenbot@Clk-32206B31.socal.res.rr.com) has joined #rencorner

brenbot is in: #somechannel-admin #somechannel #rencorner

Not for me I'm alone in #somechannel-admin #somechannel I'll try #rencorner right now.

Nope it must be me they are all empty.

Edited by LeonardMT

Ok I think I know why you cannot join your server, you must use the GameSpyGamePort as the port you join to. So the best option is to edit server.ini and set that value to same value Port has (so change it from 7845 to 9016 in your case). Then you should be able to direct connect with your local ip and 9016 or also with the launcher if you start brenbot and 9016 port is open.

yeah i think that's it overlooked even though i even added it as a comment in the server.ini file that the gamespygameport and the port must be the same value.

changing them to be the same should fix it (you can change either of them so you can change the gamespygameport to 7845 or the port to 9016).

reminds me again why i wish the lan function on the server would work so you could just ignore the gamespy part on the server

46 minutes ago, LeonardMT said:

Ok thanks for the info I'll try when I have the time later today.

Update: I changed the port and I still can't connect.

Are you hosting on the same computer you're trying to play from?

If so try doing the localhost connection ( 127.0.0.1:port )

If you're trying to connect from outside the computer you're hosting on, you'll need to go into your router/modem's settings and forward that port to the computer hosting. If necessary you could try putting that PC in the DMZ for a moment to see if it will connect, but don't leave the PC in the DMZ as you lose alot of protections that your modem typically provides.

27 minutes ago, Tank_Killer said:

Are you hosting on the same computer you're trying to play from?

If so try doing the localhost connection ( 127.0.0.1:port )

If you're trying to connect from outside the computer you're hosting on, you'll need to go into your router/modem's settings and forward that port to the computer hosting. If necessary you could try putting that PC in the DMZ for a moment to see if it will connect, but don't leave the PC in the DMZ as you lose alot of protections that your modem typically provides.

Oh hi @Tank_Killer sadly putting my PC in the DMZ didn't work and I still can't connect to my server locally.

2 minutes ago, LeonardMT said:

Oh hi @Tank_Killer sadly putting my PC in the DMZ didn't work and I still can't connect to my server locally.

This brings back memories of troubleshooting people wanting to host Minecraft lol.
Do you mind if I ask for some details about your pc?

Windows Version:

Antivirus (if any):

Is the host computer connected wirelessly or wired?

Windows 10 20H2

All AV should be disabled and firewalls disabled and disabled all of the security features on the router and win firewall is disabled.

And I'm using wireless oh and the IP is dynamic.

Edited by LeonardMT

1 minute ago, Tank_Killer said:

Dynamic IP's are a pain, but it shouldn't be a problem unless it's shifting all the time. Then you'd need to set it to a fixed. But that shouldn't be too much of a problem since I assume you're trying to connect on the same PC.

My IP doesn't shift a lot and I also noticed that the .DLLs were blocked but that didn't help either. I don't understand why its not working openra works just fine.

2 minutes ago, LeonardMT said:

My IP doesn't shift a lot and I also noticed that the .DLLs were blocked but that didn't help either. I don't understand why its not working openra works just fine.

I'm trying it myself on my PC, I can't connect either, but it doesn't generate any message in the server screen, just says "Failed to connect" so even hosted local doesn't quite work out. Give me a little bit here, I'll try some things on my end to see if I can't get it running, you're using the Asterisk tool too, right? Admin mode?

I got ninja'd a bit there by Tank_Killer. I guess if you're using Asterisk it will pass the correct params to the game. You have verified that you are trying to connect to the correct Server IP? On my local LAN, for me that would be 192.168.0.37 on port 9016.

For myself I don't bother with brenbot or the plugins (as I don't need them for launcher display or anything else) so I haven't been able to help you out with those due to complete lack of experience. But I run a local FDS all the time with the bare minimum of files.

I will also note in passing that no text should be selected in the blue FDS window, as that will freeze the FDS and make it unable to be connected to. Just in the slightly possible case this is the issue.

2 minutes ago, ChopBam said:

I got ninja'd a bit there by Tank_Killer. I guess if you're using Asterisk it will pass the correct params to the game. You have verified that you are trying to connect to the correct Server IP? On my local LAN, for me that would be 192.168.0.37 on port 9016.

For myself I don't bother with brenbot or the plugins (as I don't need them for launcher display or anything else) so I haven't been able to help you out with those due to complete lack of experience. But I run a local FDS all the time with the bare minimum of files.

Yup I made sure to connect to 192.168.0.180 on port 9016 but it still failed also heres the settings for port 9016 1290432247_Screenshot2021-05-20101624.thumb.png.93ca5dc00a181a90c797f9f02734c445.png

By the way, you don't need to worry about port forwarding at all if you're connecting on the same machine that's running it. So if you're trying to connect from the same machine, you can eliminate this as a cause for the issue.

As long as the port you are trying to direct connect in Asterisk matches GameSpyGamePort in server.ini it should be okay. You are 100% sure that 192.168.0.180 is your current local IPv4 address? This is the one that appears in the IPv4 Address field when you type ipconfig into cmd.

3 minutes ago, ChopBam said:

By the way, you don't need to worry about port forwarding at all if you're connecting on the same machine that's running it. So if you're trying to connect from the same machine, you can eliminate this as a cause for the issue.

As long as the port you are trying to direct connect in Asterisk matches GameSpyGamePort in server.ini it should be okay. You are 100% sure that 192.168.0.180 is your current local IPv4 address? This is the one that appears in the IPv4 Address field when you type ipconfig into cmd.

Yup I'm 100% sure whats what I got in ipconfig (you can a screenshot of ipconfig on my system is a previous post)

I missed that one, apologies. Unfortunately my networking knowledge is limited. I'm only using one adapter (wired rather than wireless) so my personal network is pretty simple in comparison to what appears for your case. I don't know if this is the difference that makes it work or not, or whether it's something in all the plugins and extra files that are part of this server hosting package, files that I'm not using. Or whether it could be some hidden firewall thing.

So, even with firewall disabled, both Asterisk and the server application running in admin mode, A/V disabled and connecting to my LAN IP. I still can't connect to it hosted locally. I've tried every port in the server config and it just doesn't wanna do the thing.

Tried connecting with Wife's computer, does not work either. Still get the same errors.

Edited by Tank_Killer