W3D Weekly #14 - 22/09/2021

OWA

Welcome to the 14th edition of W3D Weekly! Let's get into it!

Community News

There's nothing too new to talk about on the general community side of things, but something worth mentioning is that @ Coolrock  made a thread on the forums recently for people to post their old community photos. There's some good ones in there already, but if you have some moments that you want to re-share, feel free!

You can find the thread here:

Red Alert: A Path Beyond - Releasing 3.6 Soon!

Today, we're going to report which levels will have new bot support. Stay tuned though, more exciting APB info below.

The following levels are likely to be added to the lower player count rotation since they now support bot play:

1. Canyon River
  2. Keep Off The Grass
  3. Under

Be sure to attend our APB 3.6.0.0 game night on October 1.

That is...checks watch... next Friday! I guess we'd better release by then. Have I mentioned there will be prizes involved??

Since we have too many updates to share and not enough weeks to stick to weeklies, we would like to share with you an APB update every day until 3.6 releases, so stay tuned for that!

Cold War ConfrontationMore info from CWC this week! Today we're showing off the 3 basic NATO defence structures.

Screenshot_238.thumb.png.42f6556bc002d026844384ac206d508b.png

This is the MG Nest. Armed with a .50 caliber M2 Browning heavy machine gun, this defensive structure will make quick work of any infantry trying to attack a NATO base.

Screenshot_239.thumb.png.eac3bfbe09b7fb0d0b80eb1d207a73af.png

This is the TOW Nest. This structure is very similar to the MG nest, but is armed with a TOW missile launcher, perfect for eliminating vehicles. (Be warned, the TOW missiles WILL track you down once fired!)

Screenshot_240.thumb.png.451b7c9c1e9ad7f8558ca11dd42e0077.png

Finally we have the Stinger next, which is the anti-aircraft defensive structure. It has a pair of Stinger missile launchers mounted to a fire control system, as well as some camo netting. Going near this with a helicopter is not advisable.

Don't worry, though. The Warsaw Pact has its own set of defences which shall be revealed all in due time.

Red Alert 2: Apocalypse Rising

No real updates from us this week, but rather a question. We've ben talking about the Battle Bunker again this week and how we should implement it. We have dug out one of our old demo videos which has an interesting implementation with key-carded doors, but we're a bit undecided on it at the moment. Check out the video in question below!

Let us know your thoughts and ideas about how you feel this structure should be implemented!

That's it for this week!Come back next time for some more bodacious W3D content!

Spoiler

[blurb]We've got more APB, CWC and AR updates in this latest weekly update! Come and check it out![/blurb]

16 minutes ago, OWA said:

That is...checks watch... next Friday

No Next Friday would be tommorow ;) But sure looking forward to an update every day untill then :)

As for the AR battle bunkers well why not just use faction locked doors (I know APB have some of those (mainly roof doors on some buildings)? Maybe allow the allied spies to open those doors as well (whether he can just walk on in like any other, or have to do something to gain unlock the door first I leave up to you, as that would be a matter of balance then). This would allow using the spy to try and clear bunkers from the inside but ofc the more soviets in there the harder it would be for him for obvious reasons. Also maybe some stationary heavy machines guns mounted for shooting out of with to increase your firepower (but would make you an easier target to kill too both from people shooting in from outside or for spies sneaking inside).

Just to comment on another possibility, we can also make the battle bunker a static vehicle to avoid messing with keycards, doors, etc. In that way it would work like a battle fortress, the more people enter it, the stronger it becomes. This makes it very easy to use, but then of course it cannot be repaired from inside, under cover (not that other base defenses can be repaired from inside, mind you).

Note, if the soviet battle bunker gets ingame, I'd like to give it an allied counterpart, which would be garrisonable similarly.

46 minutes ago, moonsense715 said:

Note, if the soviet battle bunker gets ingame, I'd like to give it an allied counterpart, which would be garrisonable similarly.

what about a garrisonable allied turret, the one from the cut content of RA2? it would be a mirror to the bunker and would be effective against vehicles

12 hours ago, FRAYDO said:

@CWC

Being that base defenses and garrisoning structures have come up in the same thread here, do the CWC base defenses need to be manned by someone or is that an AI taking care of it?

That's actually a good question! At the moment, they're AI controlled, I'd rather not have players have to constantly man defences if I can help it, as it's not the most fun thing in the world. However, I am considering some defences that are unmanned that a player can jump into as well. Those would be smaller affairs, more a gun on a mounting than a full position like these. Having a few positions where the defences can be bolstered if needs be is a fun idea. (They could even be purchasable and deployable/undeployable... Plenty of ideas for things that could be done, but ATM I'm trying to keep it simple with an anti-infantry, an anti-vehicle and an anti-air defence for each side.)

As an addendum, I've got ideas for larger defences, for larger, higher tech bases (stuff like artillery guns, full sized SAM defences, CIWS type things...)

2 hours ago, CMDBob said:

That's actually a good question! At the moment, they're AI controlled, I'd rather not have players have to constantly man defences if I can help it, as it's not the most fun thing in the world. However, I am considering some defences that are unmanned that a player can jump into as well. Those would be smaller affairs, more a gun on a mounting than a full position like these. Having a few positions where the defences can be bolstered if needs be is a fun idea. (They could even be purchasable and deployable/undeployable... Plenty of ideas for things that could be done, but ATM I'm trying to keep it simple with an anti-infantry, an anti-vehicle and an anti-air defence for each side.)

As an addendum, I've got ideas for larger defences, for larger, higher tech bases (stuff like artillery guns, full sized SAM defences, CIWS type things...)

Liking the idea of having both AI controlled main defences, and then some extra smaller things manable by players, also gives people that might not have the money for tanks og higher tier infantry and option to actually contribute in the defense properly, while not requiring players to be there to defend. The small manable could be the only option however on small maps that are not supposed to have full defences, like Pacific threat in APB for instance, that kind of maps

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Coolrock said:

If that’s the case, then I guess just remove it. No idea why they added it in RA2 then :v

I used it every time, a somewhat cheap and strong base defense. For the same price you could get 2 sentry guns, this was a better deal. Garrisonable buildings in general made your shitty Conscripts great against everything. Being able to build and REPAIR them was glorious :)