APB vs Rebarn

Mojoman

Hey guys!

I was just wondering if someone could tell me the story of Darth Plaguis the Wise the old APB vs Reborn feud? I was rereading forum posts from 2015 (Ahhh memories) and came across people comparing that drama to the old APB vs Reborn. Can someone fill me in on when this happened and what happened? I assume it was from the mid 2000's.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:24 AM, Mojoman said:

Hey guys!

I was just wondering if someone could tell me the story of Darth Plaguis the Wise the old APB vs Reborn feud? I was rereading forum posts from 2015 (Ahhh memories) and came across people comparing that drama to the old APB vs Reborn. Can someone fill me in on when this happened and what happened? I assume it was from the mid 2000's.

Idk who's the oldest on here but you'd have to find some real old school oldbie to give you a definitive answer.

I'm pretty sure it boiled down to nearly all Renegade drama at the end of the day though. Someone's bored, complains about something, shit show/fourm posting ensues, everyone forgets about it a month later. Although in the mid 2000's a lot of conflict was occuring with APB due to a variety of reasons. The APB v Reborn drama was most likily as Gibblets has kinda said.. "Which game should we work on/which game is better/why is this game taking away players from the other game when the other game is my favorite".

On 11/2/2021 at 4:24 AM, Mojoman said:

Hey guys!

Ahh the APB vs Reborn wars. What a storied time in in our history as a community.

There were many goings on back then that really fuelled a big feud between the two mods. The main source of the feud if I remember correctly was plain and simple; good old fashioned competition.

Renegade Alert (what APB was originally known as) at the time was released and people could play it. 9925 was fun and there were big promises of 993 adding in naval gameplay and a bunch of missing units. Renegade Alert was in a really strong position with a fairly large team and a decent direction, led by Aircraftkiller. Although anyone on the team that time and for anyone who knew him then, it was a bad idea to get on his bad side. 

Reborn, on the other hand, had released their original, but very buggy Beta build (the one that formatted Windows 98 hard drives, or so some would claim) under the leadership of the very first Reborn team. A second team that had inherited control of the project were working on the game, but instead of releasing a follow-up build quickly, had set about a really ambitious project to re-create all of the art from scratch. This Reborn team was comprised of some of the most talented artists that the Renegade community had ever seen and they weren't shy when it came to boasting about it.

Through one encounter or another, the two sides came to blows over which mod was better. Aircraftkiller leading the RenAlert team and Renardin leading the Reborn team in raids on each others forums. The RenAlert guys would always decry that "RebornSux" and went as far to draw mean spirited cartoon images of Renardin and the Reborn team to demean them. The Reborn team were not as tenacious and instead let their artwork do the talking, comparing RenAlert's currently sub-par artwork to that of the yet unreleased version of Reborn. Reborn won several ModDB visual design awards and even went to GamesCom during this period, much to the RenAlert teams chagrin.

When Aircraftkiller started to move away from Renegade development and pitched for APB (as it had been renamed) to be on a newer game engine, it was unsure what the future would hold for RenAlert. Whilst Aircraftkiller was looking at other engines,@ Coolrock stepped up to the plate, saving the Renegade version of APB and passing it to Chronojam to continue leading development. This resulted in RenAlert version 9935 being released, to much fanfare.

Around this time the Reborn team also moved into the APB team's forums. this was a result of Chronojam attempting to heal past wounds, settle differences and attain a compromise. This didn't last too long, as the two teams butted heads frequently, the scars from the previous clashes being all too fresh. After a while, the Reborn team moved back to their own site (This is when AR stepped in to join APB and form Bluehell Productions).

During the next few years, APB would go from strength to strength, releasing the Beta version of the game which was very popular. By this time, Reborn development was running out of steam. Worn down by people having less time and the mammoth task of redoing all the artwork, the team decided to bet their success on an infantry beta. The planned release data of this beta was December 31st 2006. This date slipped to some time in 2008, much to the APB team's amusement.

After years of hype, the infantry beta came out to a massive fanfare, but failed to capture a long term audience due to the poor quality of the balance and gameplay. This was one of the final nails in the coffin for that iteration of the Reborn team as it was. The team fractured and control of the project ultimately returned to Bluehell Productions under @ Wallywood 's leadership. From there a credible vehicle release was produced and that's roughly where Reborn is today.

If I've got any of my facts wrong @ TeamWolf , please correct me. :p 

On 11/2/2021 at 10:57 PM, GibbletsnBits said:

From the little I can recall, at its core was a fight over 2 projects with only enough team to do 1. So it degenerated into which project was more worthy of time and pettiness ensued.

There were two full teams, they just got hyper competitive over making the best mod to the point where they were actively flaming the crap out of each other.

On 11/12/2021 at 12:35 AM, FRAYDO said:

10 days have passed since the initial post. I was expecting a good read of drama. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

How's that @ FRAYDO ? :p