Scripts 4.7 Update 2 is now available

jonwil

Can we remove the fixed V-SYNC limit to 300? The reason some people select V_SYNC off is to have more FPS and the limit to 300 on servers w/ more than 15 people will easily drop to below 100 when server gets populated.

What's the reasoning behind this if we already have the option to cap VSYNC in game when needed?

2 hours ago, Jor3llBR said:

Can we remove the fixed V-SYNC limit to 300? The reason some people select V_SYNC off is to have more FPS and the limit to 300 on servers w/ more than 15 people will easily drop to below 100 when server gets populated.

What's the reasoning behind this if we already have the option to cap VSYNC in game when needed?

The physics actually start to glitch above 300. Especially when the frametime ends up being 0 in some cases because of the way its calculated. With Vsync on its actually just whatever your refresh rate is. With it off its now just up to 300. Most games cap their framerates at 300 so its not an abnormal practice.

55 minutes ago, GummiBear said:

And does any monitor with more than 300 Hz even exist in the first place?

You make a good point. Some might say that a framerate that is much higher than their display's refresh rate looks better, but I've yet to be convinced of this.

The cap is much needed. "Glitches" above 300 fps is a modest description from what I've been told. A while back, we had a tester who claims to have gotten over 1000 fps while testing a very old (and thus minimally demanding) game on a 4.6 engine version while uncapped. The behavior he described is extremely game-breaking.

And yeah, if the FPS exceeds your refresh rate, I don't see how there could be a benefit, technically speaking.

26 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The cap is much needed. "Glitches" above 300 fps is a modest description from what I've been told. A while back, we had a tester who claims to have gotten over 1000 fps while testing a very old (and thus minimally demanding) game on a 4.6 engine version while uncapped. The behavior he described is extremely game-breaking.

And yeah, if the FPS exceeds your refresh rate, I don't see how there could be a benefit, technically speaking.

It does not glitch above 300 more like above 950 I tested this on several servers...

Edited by Jor3llBR
typo

22 hours ago, dblaney1 said:

The physics actually start to glitch above 300. Especially when the frametime ends up being 0 in some cases because of the way its calculated. With Vsync on its actually just whatever your refresh rate is. With it off its now just up to 300. Most games cap their framerates at 300 so its not an abnormal practice.

Technically the physics is glitching at any framerate that's different than 60, it just gets more issues the further from 60 you get. As far as hardware goes all we have to test with is screens that do 300, I saw no increase in studders compared to having vsync on/off with the new cap (Can't test without vsync on the old version because its literally unplayable being the game is constantly running at 1000+ fps on my laptop).  Heck, emitter motion inheritance breaks if you go above 30fps lol luckily nothing in stock game even makes use of the feature. 

21 hours ago, GummiBear said:

And does any monitor with more than 300 Hz even exist in the first place?

Looks like screens that have refresh rates at 360Hz exist now, but my desire to shell out 500 bucks to test Renegade's performance on such hardware is kind of low lol. 

On 2/17/2022 at 10:31 AM, Jor3llBR said:

New players that join have tendency of bringing up their game is broken, IE: They can't jump or there is constant footstep noise, I've only had 3 or 4 people come to me about the issue the last couple years but just like any issue, if it's bad enough some people just quit instead of trying to debug it. 

Also, as far as servers are concerned if you can lock them at 60 that'll be best for the physics, if there is a lot of variance it will only make the physics sync up worse (movements between the frame deltas get miscalculated).

Another reason for the 300 FPS cap is that some GPU's do not handle 'run-away FPS' very well, to the point where it can inflict damage to a GPU. If you leave the game open on the menu at 2000+ FPS for a while and your GPU has some faulty components, chances exist something breaks.

If your GPU has coil whine issues, you'd start to hear it very loud in these extremely high-FPS situations, as well.

So it is purely a safety measure, and one tested for quite a while in W3D 5 already.

3 hours ago, Raap said:

Another reason for the 300 FPS cap is that some GPU's do not handle 'run-away FPS' very well, to the point where it can inflict damage to a GPU. If you leave the game open on the menu at 2000+ FPS for a while and your GPU has some faulty components, chances exist something breaks.

If your GPU has coil whine issues, you'd start to hear it very loud in these extremely high-FPS situations, as well.

So it is purely a safety measure, and one tested for quite a while in W3D 5 already.

Wow, I learned something there Raap. A few GPUs back, I had a weird noise with certain applications only, and I never quite identified it. I bet it was the whine you speak of. Its sounded kinda like bad capacitors in a power supply, but only happened with certain games (specifically games) and the noise changed with what was happening on-screen.

40 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Wow, I learned something there Raap. A few GPUs back, I had a weird noise with certain applications only, and I never quite identified it. I bet it was the whine you speak of. Its sounded kinda like bad capacitors in a power supply, but only happened with certain games (specifically games) and the noise changed with what was happening on-screen.

I heard these weird noises before when playing your TSR inf beta port to 4.x where I had vsync off and I had a few thousand FPS. I instantly closed the game and the noise stopped. Luckily no harm was done in that time.

8 hours ago, moonsense715 said:

I heard these weird noises before when playing your TSR inf beta port to 4.x where I had vsync off and I had a few thousand FPS. I instantly closed the game and the noise stopped. Luckily no harm was done in that time.

Yeah that would be where it would happen. RenArchive type games specifically are able to hit crazy FPS.

On 2/22/2022 at 3:00 AM, Raap said:

Not disagreeing with the Cap, a standard cap at 300 FPS as a safe start is fine, but when you try to unify all hardware and PCs in one pot that’s the issue. Adding the manual config there for people like me to better use their hardware is a must, and democratic thing to do…

On 2/18/2022 at 9:53 AM, Jerad2142 said:

Technically the physics is glitching at any framerate that's different than 60, it just gets more issues the further from 60 you get. As far as hardware goes all we have to test with is screens that do 300, I saw no increase in studders compared to having vsync on/off with the new cap (Can't test without vsync on the old version because its literally unplayable being the game is constantly running at 1000+ fps on my laptop).  Heck, emitter motion inheritance breaks if you go above 30fps lol luckily nothing in stock game even makes use of the feature. 

Looks like screens that have refresh rates at 360Hz exist now, but my desire to shell out 500 bucks to test Renegade's performance on such hardware is kind of low lol. 

New players that join have tendency of bringing up their game is broken, IE: They can't jump or there is constant footstep noise, I've only had 3 or 4 people come to me about the issue the last couple years but just like any issue, if it's bad enough some people just quit instead of trying to debug it. 

Also, as far as servers are concerned if you can lock them at 60 that'll be best for the physics, if there is a lot of variance it will only make the physics sync up worse (movements between the frame deltas get miscalculated).

Yep I see that and agree, preset limit at 300 fps for new players to join and have fun without issues, but leave the manual option for more advance players to scale according to their expertise and hardware.

• 3 weeks later...