Virtualy Reality Port?

So first up, i'm not even gonna pretend that this is a realistic idea. 

Yet i'm still asking if it is a possibility without porting the entire game to a new engine, which would be kinda of a pain and also kinda illegal. 
With games like Doom3 and HalfLife on quest via sourceports, i wonder if it's possibe to do something like that with the w3d engine. 

Okay now you can go ahead and call me stupid, i'm just some scrub with below basic unity skills.

Edited by TryToEpic

Realistic? Not today...

Possible? Sure, just needs lots of people, lots of time, lots of effort, etc.

A new engine would be painful (and something we said we wouldn't do), but not illegal. See RenegadeX, thats on Unreal Engine.

Its not a stupid thought, just a bit unrealistic for our team. Something like this would probably be best tackled by a team with a different skillset. We're stuck in our W3D ways 8)

On 3/19/2022 at 10:25 AM, TryToEpic said:

So first up, i'm not even gonna pretend that this is a realistic idea. 

Yet i'm still asking if it is a possibility without porting the entire game to a new engine, which would be kinda of a pain and also kinda illegal. 
With games like Doom3 and HalfLife on quest via sourceports, i wonder if it's possibe to do something like that with the w3d engine. 

Okay now you can go ahead and call me stupid, i'm just some scrub with below basic unity skills.

I am confused due to your topic title. Is your question wether we can port our games to 

1. A Virtual Reality  type layout. Where you use your hands and legs to move around but it's still in W3D (2002) format?

or

2. Port the game to something like Unreal Engine / a modern day engine?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For 1. It's definately possible. Although expensive I believe it's entierly possible to get a full on VR set up. It costs about $8,000 + Tax and I think it only works with VR video games? I haven't looked into it but you could more than likily map the controls to the system along with the head movements. It would require a lot of work but again, possible assuming you're allowed to use video games already made today or you have enough grit to see it through.

12331231.thumb.PNG.4c8c0a675f71e192c02c4a95d860e9af.PNG

2. RenegadeX is probably your best bet for a w3d. game turned into a modern day game engine. If your question is adressing the possibility of if it's possible or not this is proof. Although admitedly RenX is on the UT 3 Engine (2006-2013?). 

I attempted to make IA into Unreal Engine 2 years ago but didn't get anywhere when messing with vehicles. I'm too busy now and days sadly to try again. But I hope it's proof to show that it is possible. 

As for W3Dhub. As Einstein said, it would require a lot of resources and a whole new talent base (That's specialized in Unreal Engines quirks) to even be a possibility. We're currently giving our time to multiple FPS projects like Dune, Red Alert 2, Tiberian Sun and even some in between. To try and create a new age C&C FPS off of Unreal Engine is just too much for us @ W3D Hub right now.

Unless of coruse you know 20-30 people that would love to give their knowledge and time to work on it for free. :p We're always looking!

• 3 months later...
On 3/20/2022 at 10:29 PM, Einstein said:

Realistic? Not today...

Possible? Sure, just needs lots of people, lots of time, lots of effort, etc.

A new engine would be painful (and something we said we wouldn't do), but not illegal. See RenegadeX, thats on Unreal Engine.

Its not a stupid thought, just a bit unrealistic for our team. Something like this would probably be best tackled by a team with a different skillset. We're stuck in our W3D ways 8)

I remember a few years ago @ saberhawk  spent a few weekends porting models and even game mechanics into unity with VR support. What's the holdup?

4 hours ago, Dadud said:

Gee, I wonder why. 

Well, it isn't because we didn't want to do a VR port... Thats a complicated subject itself and quite unrelated to this.

Simply put, WE are the wrong team for such a task. We do W3D. Not C&C, but W3D - the engine, and all games related to that. We're dead and we know it, right? Isn't that what everyone says about us nowadays as some sort of jab to try to pressure us to leave the only thing we know? Okay then.

We are hobbyists, and this is the hobby that we have chosen. I hope someone does do a set of VR C&C games, as that would be super cool. But unless we suddenly make some huge advances, and all of us can afford to put that kind of time and effort into a HOBBY, then it can't be our team. We are going to continue to build and improve on the platform that we know. And who knows? Maybe someday W3D itself will support VR 8) (if we pick up someone who has the time, resources, and ability to do that for us)