Tiberian Dawn: Ground Zero Update #6

So you go for a much more sensible option for the PT (Why have noone done something like that before, something like that should really be in all the projects...), yet your throw away sensibility for GDI mini gunner weapon choice? Can you make up your minds? :P

2 minutes ago, Gummiel said:

So you go for a much more sensible option for the PT (Why have noone done something like that before, something like that should really be in all the projects...), yet your throw away sensibility for GDI mini gunner weapon choice? Can you make up your minds? :P

Well, when we're presented with an opportunity to embrace accuracy to the source material and the alternate universe aspect of C&C, we just couldn't help ourselves. :v 

18 minutes ago, dblaney1 said:

The m900 really should have either a 50 or 100 round magazine capacity. Theres no reason a drum style magazine would only have 30 rounds. 

We went with a 30-round mag for balance purposes (GDI getting 50 or 100 rounds compared to Nod getting 30 wouldn't be very fair), plus we're taking into account the upgrade from 9mm (what the real life Calico uses) to 5.56 (what the fictional GAU-3 uses). It is, fortunately, helped by the fact that it's a fictional gun, so we aren't beholden to as many rules.

7 minutes ago, dblaney1 said:

You could just make the nod weapon do more damage per shot and have a slower ROF. 

We could, but that would radically change how each basic class plays, plus this could severely impact the ability of the GDI minigunner to engage at range. Appreciate the suggestion, but we're going to stay the course with our current plan.

The QBZ-95 is such a weird choice since Nod in Tiberian Dawn relied heavily on American equipment. I'm trying to find an old source I read but can't find it, but the explanation behind all this was because there was corruption in the United States Department of Defense and sold much of their equipment to Nod. But as of right now this holds no water. :p

It may of came from the official C&C1 strategy guide by Brady Games which contains many behind the scenes lore of C&C1. Like Nod actually hacked into GDI's EVA system and stole a beta version of it for their own use. But I don't own it and only managed to read a few scanned pages of it.

Edited by Chad1233

35 minutes ago, Chad1233 said:

The QBZ-95 is such a weird choice since Nod in Tiberian Dawn relied heavily on American equipment. I'm trying to find an old source I read but can't find it, but the explanation behind all this was because there was corruption in the United States Department of Defense and sold much of their equipment to Nod. But as of right now this holds no water. :p

It may of came from the official C&C1 strategy guide by Brady Games which contains many behind the scenes lore of C&C1. Like Nod actually hacked into GDI's EVA system and stole a beta version of it for their own use. But I don't own it and only managed to read a few scanned pages of it.

It is, but as stated in the OP, the decision was a push from me because I didn't want to use yet another AR-15/M-16/M4 variant. The QBZ was kind of a stroke of luck in that regard, not only because of the time period being ideal, but because China actually was Nod aligned in Tiberian Dawn:

906437-command-conquer-dos-screenshot-wo

It was like getting a weird craving for a very specific flavor of potato chip from a very specific brand, and then spotting a party-sized bag of exactly what you wanted on sale.

The minigunners fire their weapons in burst or at least it sounds that way, so it makes me think they were using M-16 rifle (as said in the manual also) but I still prefer the iconic 5.56 GAU-3 Eliminator that looks like a Calico.

I mean I'm not entirely sure WW knew what gun the minigunner would use either. The official description in the manual says It's a GAU-3 but the weapon, internally in the source code is a M16 as also shown in the manual. (In spoiler)

Since the internal weapon names tend to be their original during early development this is probably what was. They also may of not had M16 props available in their closet for filming and photos. :p

Spoiler

image.png.1159a0b0df304e9a26c0b97fd06c0d33.png
image.png.f4468a290a88ef68d17f2a42a875e622.png

Edited by Chad1233

The manual did, indeed, specify the GAU-3 for GDI and the M16 for Nod. This was the reason we were originally planning to have Nod use the M16A3 for a while. But as previously stated;

On 6/7/2022 at 8:32 AM, Killing_You said:

[blurb][/blurb][blurb][/blurb]we decided that using yet another AR-15 variant would just be boring (namely @ Killing_You , who has made his preference for exotic weaponry well known).

I forgot to add that Renegade during alpha when it was meant to be closer to Tiberian Dawn, WW gave GDI the M16 and interestingly a M4 with the 203 grenade launcher. It's the standard issue that the American army used which GDI is 100% based on, so it makes sense that their weapon internally is the M16. The manual made a mistake in my opinion.

Not trying to change your mind since your team probably had the same discussion and points. I'm throwing my opinion what weapon GDI should use even if it's considered "boring".

The manual did, indeed, specify the GAU-3 for GDI and the M16 for Nod. This was the reason we were originally planning to have Nod use the M16A3 for a while. But as previously stated;

Which manual? The PDF one I brought up has no mention which weapon each side used only what both of them had.

Edited by Chad1233

On 6/10/2022 at 9:38 PM, Chad1233 said:

I forgot to add that Renegade during alpha when it was meant to be closer to Tiberian Dawn, WW gave GDI the M16 and interestingly a M4 with the 203 grenade launcher. It's the standard issue that the American army used which GDI is 100% based on, so it makes sense that their weapon internally is the M16. The manual made a mistake in my opinion.

Not trying to change your mind since your team probably had the same discussion and points. I'm throwing my opinion what weapon GDI should use even if it's considered "boring".

Which manual? The PDF one I brought up has no mention which weapon each side used only what both of them had.

they actually used both the calico/gau 3 eliminator,m16 and later the m4 with the 203 attachment as mention.
It isn't really 100 percent based on the US.
It was made as if the UN had a sort of paramilitary force at its disposal funded by countries comprised of different countries from the UN,
hence the name Global-Defense-Initiative.
brought to you by, the UN.  *side note: we might get this in the verry verry near future*