Blog #113

Hello everyone, long time no see eh? We are sorry about our lack of updates and general communication to the public over the year. But we have been busy behind the scenes and working on getting our builds mainly. We have been putting a lot of work into balancing and polishing... But now for some visible updates!

[h]

Atreides Assault Rifle

[/h]

We have looked over our first design of the Atreides Assault Rifle and felt that it just lacked the look we were after. So we went back to what we had seen from the Westwood renders and in the cut scene models, and have something we are much happier with!

Fz007 based this design off what we had to go from which was a sub machine gun version of the Famas. What do you think?

atr10-1.pngatr11-1.png

atr12-1.pngatr14-1.png

atr13-1.png

The Atreides Assault Rifle is the basic rifle for all Atreides Light Infantry. It is very accurate and fairly powerful, doing decent damage against most infantry types. It has two firing modes, it's primary being a full auto fast firing machine gun, and it's secondary being a slower more accurate rate of fire.

[h]

BFD_Spice

[/h]

I have been working on BFD_Spice, one of our first maps. It was made back in 2009 and was seriously lacking in detail and much more. BFD_Spice is set in a small sink area with an old ruined settlement with high cliffs in the surrounding corner protecting the town from storms. There are a few low accessilbe rocky areas, based mainly in an open boxed out design. There is plently of Spice around for your Harvesters along with a small group of Fremen storehouses ontop of one of the rocks.

So to improve on the map, it now has added boarders, improved dunes and cliffs, temp texture work, a new tunnel and some props! This is what it looks like in it's current state.

TRBfDGame12011-08-2700-15-20-58-1.png

TRBfDGame12011-08-2700-18-09-24-1.pngTRBfDGame12011-08-2700-13-31-33-1.png

The textures aren't final and the map still needs some more cover.

[h]

Harkonnen Inkvine Catapult

[/h]

BogdanV has recently joined the team, his first task was to rig and animate the Harkonnen Inkvine Catapult!

The Inkvine Catapult is the House Harkonnen's long ranged vehicle that fires barrels of Inkvine liquid that burst on contant posioning enemy units. The Inkvine liquid that happens to miss it's targets a burst on the ground can be shot to ignite that patch.

[h]

August Alpha Video

[/h]

It's been a long time since we have made a video showing off gameplay footage. What better way to show off what we have been up to since our last update in November?

This is a video of our latest internal Alpha, Alpha 6. There are still a lot of things that need texturing and so on, but we are working on that slowly but surely. Enjoy!

[h]

Endings

[/h]

That's it for this Battle for Dune: War of Assassins blog, we hope you enjoyed it and keep following us here on our site, over at Moddb and on Facebook!

agree with dale. model and texture look great. good job on this guys. the animation could need some more love in detail imho. can't judge the sounds due to background music.

the fire animation doesn't look realistic because it doesn't really swing + if i am right it allready fires before the catapult arm is in the position.

something i also noticed is that this 4 barreled mech has no backwards walk anim

even hydraulics has some dynamics. a catapult needs those to work. swing any material with high speed against a fix point and it must swing or the fix point breaks in pieces. anyway this is just my opinnion. you don't have to change that animation if you like it the way it is now. it was just something that came to my eyes as i watched that video and i want to mention.

Guest unclekulikov

I gotta say, I prefer the more blocky SMG. It suggests the blocky pistol from the film, and would keep a running theme among the small arms.

This one does have that sleek look, but it verges on flimsy. Either way, the magazine's foot should extend out until parallel with the ground (if it uses standard cartridges, like modern pistols: http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/66/296/L13064367.jpg). Using the cinematics is a good idea, but the SMG shown in the Atreides Light Infantry thumbnail looks better to me. Block it up a bit, and you would have a solid looking stubby SMG.

The Inkvine looks absolutely amazing. I like how it references the trebuchet's whipping motion, and the model looks the part.

We didn't want to have the Atreides to carry SMGs around to define them more as a House. And seeing as their weapons are more based around accuracy and not area of effect, it seemed far more fitting to use a rifle.