Connection to server has been refused: This server requires the standalone interim apex client.

Go to solution Solved by Solarsails,

Hello. 

Today when I tried to join Renegade [W3d] Interim Apex I received the following error message:

Connection to server has been refused: This server requires the standalone interim apex client. You can download it through the W3d Hub launcher on W3s.Hub.com. If you are using the IA client make sure you are up to date.

This has never happened before and yesterday I was able to join with no issue.

So I did try to join by using the 'W3d Launcher but the results were the sane. I updated the launcher and no change. I uninstalled the launcher and reinstalled it but that was also no help.  I have no problems joining any of the other channels in Renegade.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance...

Posted (edited)

Yes, TRIED EVERY WAY I CAN THINK OF. WITH CLIENT, UPGRADED CLIENT, REINSTALLED CLIENT AND REINSTALLED UPDATE scrpts 38.2. 

W3d client, and ren client.  IT just stopped working, then night before was find and the net day nothing.  yriedupdateing w3d cleint, ininstalled, reinstalled, updated...   Its a shame because Interim apex is my favorite, go figure...  Thanks for the help.

Edited by Solarsails

38 minutes ago, Solarsails said:

Yes, TRIED EVERY WAY I CAN THINK OF. WITH CLIENT, UPGRADED CLIENT, REINSTALLED CLIENT AND REINSTALLED UPDATE scrpts 38.2. 

W3d client, and ren client.  IT just stopped working, then night before was find and the net day nothing.  yriedupdateing w3d cleint, ininstalled, reinstalled, updated...   Its a shame because Interim apex is my favorite, go figure...  Thanks for the help.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "upgrade". I hope you are not trying to apply a TT patch to IA, as that will most definitely break it.

It should be as simple as downloading it via the launcher, making sure that it installs successfully (it will say), and then joining the server. Any screenshots you can provide will be very helpful.

Let me say again, do NOT apply a TT patch to IA - it WILL break the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
On 3/19/2024 at 10:52 PM, Einstein said:

I don't quite understand what you mean by "upgrade". I hope you are not trying to apply a TT patch to IA, as that will most definitely break it.

It should be as simple as downloading it via the launcher, making sure that it installs successfully (it will say), and then joining the server. Any screenshots you can provide will be very helpful.

Let me say again, do NOT apply a TT patch to IA - it WILL break the game.

Hello,  Right, I always ran Renegade by using the shortcut that was created by the game and then chose the Interim Apex by its listing in the GAMESPY menu.   Apparently I've been getting by playing with the TT Scripts installed but they were automagically updated on March 1st? to the next version of scripts which was scripts-4.8.2.  This update was apparently what broke my ability to join the Interim Apex server. 

The solution for anyone who may be interested was to uninstall everything related to Renegade, including w3d launcher (I used REVO UNINSTALLER PRO which clears any registry info, files and really everything if installed via the logging feature) and then reinstalled the game.   Then I installed the W3D launcher and everything works better than before. 

The only question that I have is that when I went into a different server (not IA) it automatically updated the game with TT scripts-4.8.2.  However,  unlike the issue described above, I have no problems joining and playing in Interim Apex's server. Since I have no working knowledge of how the W3d launcher functions, the only guess that I can come up with is that the W3d launcher keeps separate copies of the game (please forgive my ignorance regarding this matter, I'm only guessing here).

So, on a humorously sarcastic note, if there is one thing that gets on my nerve it is when people post a software problem in a forum somewhere but never update it when they find the solution.  You know, you can spot many of them because the cry, moan, bump their posting and may even beg for someone to provide a solution but suddenly stop asking for help and then the post gets closed with no solution because its become old or something.  There may often be several replies containing possible hints or solutions in the thread or not but you, as a person who might need help with a similar problem, will never know what the ultimate solve was because the original desperato never had enough of a thought to return to their post to let everyone know that they found the solution and what it was (or not but who really ever gives up on a software problem, especially when its Command and Conquer related?)...   (Forgive the intentional ranting here).

So here I am, returning to W3dhub and in order to not have to live a life knowing for certain that I  became a hypocrite by not following up on my 'request for help', I am providing this information as to what ultimately solved my issue. I hope that this will help someone, although it really isn't some huge reveal or anything.  Yep, I reinstalled everything....  And its all fine, good and ok now.

The only question that I have is regarding the scripts-4.8.2 issue.  And in spite of the scripts automatically installing, everything is still running very well and actually better than it was before, much better. 

Thank you to Einstein for the effort and insight provided, it was very much appreciated.  Actually even if someone's reply doesn't contain the ultimate solution it may contain information vital to figuring things out.  Besides all of the hints and suggestions its just encouraging when someone takes the time out of their day to reply to your request.  Karma will most likely know, when you post your request for help, if you skipped out on helping someone when you could.

Thanks again for any help provided and as always my best regards.

For the TLDR crowd:  THE SOLUTION WAS TO UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL AND TRYING TO AVOID HAVING THE TT SCRIPTS SELF INSTALL WAS ULTIMATELY A  FUTILE EFFORT (BUT RENEGADE IS STILL WORKING VERY WELL.

4 hours ago, Solarsails said:

The only question that I have is that when I went into a different server (not IA) it automatically updated the game with TT scripts-4.8.2.  However,  unlike the issue described above, I have no problems joining and playing in Interim Apex's server. Since I have no working knowledge of how the W3d launcher functions, the only guess that I can come up with is that the W3d launcher keeps separate copies of the game (please forgive my ignorance regarding this matter, I'm only guessing here).

It sounds like you had "fallen through a crack" so to speak. Renegade and IA are two separate games. It is not supposed to be possible (anymore) to connect to an IA server via a normal Renegade client, although with enough tomfoolery (or in your case dumb luck) it was still possible. At some point, more action was taken to prevent this from happening, which is likely what made your game stop working.

So going forward (and I hope this clears up your confusion), just think of IA and Renegade as two separate things. Because they are. IA is so customized that it uses its own special flavor of the engine (which is why it will not prompt you for a scripts upgrade) while Renegade TT is "mainline", and will receive TT updates through the normal channels. Furthermore, our launcher has been configured to recognize this difference, and to treat them as different games (sorta). IA is as separate as APB, TSR, BFD, etc...

In conclusion - Use the IA client for IA, use Renegade for all other Renegade servers. Get updates when they come available for either one, but IA will only update via Launcher updates or in-game updates. Renegade will not receive W3D-Hub Launcher updates, but may prompt for TT updates at launch, as well as in-game updates (also known as TTFS).

4 hours ago, Solarsails said:

So, on a humorously sarcastic note, if there is one thing that gets on my nerve it is when people post a software problem in a forum somewhere but never update it when they find the solution.  You know, you can spot many of them because the cry, moan [.....]

Lol