Character Modeling

Author: PsycoArmy

Skill level: 5

In this tutorial you will find how to build a character model form a simple plane. I will show you how to use Edit poly tool. You will also learn to model using SHIFT + DRAG on EDGE tool to create that shapes you need to start. In this tutorial I will show you how to use CUT tool found in EDGE section, this tool can come in handy in lots of places, also use EXTRUDE to get some of the shapes.

This tutorial is done in 3d Studio Max so if you are using something such as GMAX this tutorial should still work fine except for 1 or 2 steps, I will also be showing you how to WELD too, which can be found in VERTEX menu.

Here we go.

-------------------------

For models you should always try to keep the model in Squares, using triangles is all right with low poly.

The purpose of this tutorial is to teach some basic character modelling skills; the methods can also be used in modelling of all sorts of thing not just characters.

When modelling a character it is good to use concept even like the one I use here.

PLANE_1.JPG

Create a plane with 1 by 1 sides. Place the plane on the area where you want to start.

PLANE_2.JPG

Right click on your plane and click CONVERT TO > CONVERT TO EDITABLE POLY. Once you have done so u can use VERTEX on the right menu to fit your plane in better.

PLANE_3.JPG

Now we can make the 2D shape of the character. Select EDGE in EDIT POLY menu, click on the first edge you wish to make another segment from, once its selected hold down shift and then move it to the direction you want the segment to go. Continue this until you have the main body part filled like the picture below.

PLANE_4.JPG

Now we are going to use CUT to get the poly amount we need. CUT can be found in EDGE selection down the menu. Using cut is very simple, you just first click cut on the menu, and click the edge where you want to start the new line for the model. Just continue the line through.

PLANE_5.JPG

Now when you have the poly amount you think you need for your model change it to perspective but keep the part selected you want to go out to make the side view. Move it to the side or what ever view your using. Now we can start modelling the 3d shape more.

Its good to change it to VERTEX for this one. Move all the VERTEX to make the shape you want it to look like form the front. You can always change position of different VERTEX to make your shapes more to your liking. Always remember that its a 3d environment and you will always need to adjust bits.

PLANE_6.JPG

Now we are going to learn to close off open bits and then model the legs.

PLANE_7.JPG

Use EDGE and SHIFT + DRAG technique here and move it to a good location, use VERTEX too if you need to. Now we are going to weld the VERTEX. Make sure VERTEX is selected, now select the 2 VERTEX you want to WELD. Now WELD can be found in VERTEX, It might be down in the menu a bit in GMAX (not sure). But dont click WELD just yet. Click the little square thing next to the WELD button. This will give you an amount you can WELD to, but seeing you have wot u want to WELD selected just pump it up (you can do this by holding down on the up button and dragging up.) until the 2 VERTEX connect. Remember the WELD button by itself should work fine; just the little square thing gives you more control.

PLANE_8.JPG

Now we will model the legs (in this part I dont keep it squares, I suggest when you do it you keep it all mostly squares, a good 90% of the model should be squares.). Now just cut it form where you want the leg to start, CUT it to how many sides you want it to have. Now just move it to the basic shape it will start as.

PLANE_9.JPG

Now we will use EXTRUDE, first step is to select the POLYGON menu in EDIT POLY. Now select all the shape you want to start the leg from. Now find EXTRUDE and you can use the box next to it for this one, just keep extruding until you have as much poly as you need to make the leg. Now use VERTEX to shape the leg in its front and side views. Perspective is also a good view to use to get the shape right.

PLACE PROPER IMAGE HERE (edit it properly :p)

PLANE_10.JPG

Im not going to post any pics for this part because its exactly the same for the body and legs. We will be making a shitty headJ; first I just did it as a plane for the basic head shape and just used all the first few steps to get the shapes. Then I used extrude to get the shape for the mouth. I jut used my concept to match it up at the side. I also used weld to attach the head to the body. You can attach the 2 objects by using the EDIT POLY menu where it says ATTACH, just select the first object yo want to attach and then select ATTACH in EDIT POLY and then click what you want to attach it to.

ARMS are what we are making now. First make the area you want the arms to start from just like the legs.

PLANE_11.JPG

Now just EXTRUDE and shape it until you have you arm done.

PLANE_12.JPG

Now to make the fingers just use all the past steps, use CUT, EXTRUDE, VERTEX all of the stuff I have mentioned to get the hands you want.

PLANE_13.JPG

It`s good to do one side then clone it and mirror it. Once its mirrored you can weld both sides together, this can get rid of any chance of there being any gap in the centre.

I did this model very quickly just for this tutorial, and here was the final I got from it, if you want it you can have itJ.

PLANE_14.JPG

Tutorial Created By Psycoarmy

Edited By Genocide