Blog 135 (03/06/09)

I'm back early from Wales to bring you this blog. I was planning to come back later but shit hit the fan. Nevermind though, so I have some goodies.

<h3>Soviet War Factory Teaser</h3>

dtrngd has been working away on the Soviet War Factory as you all know. I mentioned a blog or two ago that there was going to be something very innovative happening with this structure, so this week we have a teaser video for what we have in store. No doubt those of you watching dtrngd on VNC will probably have guessed by now, but still take a look at what we have in mind, as it is rather epic in my opinion.

Take a look at the video in the link below.

<h3>Statue Update</h3>

TheBeerinator is texturing the Soviet Barracks currently, so getting the statue finished is top priority for me at the moment. As you can see, he is nearly done!

The AK47 needs some work before it is done and the Statue's face needs changing, because in all fairness we decided that my face doesn't suit the beefy, square jawed image of soviet troops on propaganda posters.

Here is an image of what I have currently.

StatueWIP-1.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I am back early from Wales and will not be going to Cardiff on friday anymore. Next week is Download Festival though :rockon:

cfehunter was gonna come with me, but we aren't going anymore.

dtrngd is working hard on the Soviet War Factory and has written a neat description of the Terror Drone.

Soviet Terror Drone - Cost: 500

Buildings needed for construction: War Factory

Description: Fast moving, remote controlled drone. Has no armor and can be destroyed very easily.

Attack: jump.

-Infantry die instanlty (including Hero Units).

-Vehicle health slowly degenerates, until they blow up.

-Can not attack buildings.

Best for:

-Eliminating lone enemy units on the battlefield.

-Weakening an Allied assault by destroying several units before they reach the Soviet base. Best usage: kill the Repair IFV first.

-Surprising enemy units, thanks to the small size.

Defense against them:

1. Send the infected vehicle onto a Service Depot or get a Repair IFV to remove the drone. Chronominers can teleport away, leaving the Terror Drone on the field (they don't teleport with the miner).

2. Try to keep most of your infantry away from them, deploy GIs, keep your Pillboxes alive, build Mirage/Prism Tanks to kill them very quickly.

Advantage of using them:

-Once the Drone is destroyed, your character will not pop out of it and then get killed, since you control it from the War Factory.

Disadvantage of using them:

-Your character is standing still at the Terror Drone Terminal while controlling a drone, and can be killed easily by Allied units infiltrating the War Factory. Once you are killed, the Terror Drone shuts down (until someone takes control again) and becomes a vulnerable target on the battlefield.

TheBeerinator is working hard on the Soviet Barracks.

danpaul88 and the rest of the team had a discussion on the Soviet War Factory the other day, since it uses a strange concept which could get you stuck.

rm5248 is working on a new bridge for mappers to use in their maps.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Here we have a Farmer; hear him roar!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>I guess it's time to bring this to a close...</h3>

...so I bid thee farewell until next time.

Downloading the video now!

The statue is coming onlong epicly, love it!

Shame about your trip being cut short..

Another great blog guys, keep it up!

Guest NX01class

Great blog.

Will the rockets be able to explode in the warfactory if shot at long enough? Sort of like an MCT weak spot. Probably not, but gota ask.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

The War Factory looks awesome inside, the industrial look of it fits the Soviets all too well.

I was also wondering (or actually suggesting) if the Soviet factory will use an extensive use of rusty cranes while the Allied could use robot arms instead, similar to the one on the Allied Service Depot. This might make them look unique, while fitting their themes.

Also, is it possible to have particular items move across the assembly line of the unit you bought? For example, it it possible to show a Rhino Tank turret be placed on the vehicle by the crane/whatever-you-plan-to-use when you buy a Rhino Tank?

Last, I imagine you can put your face elsewhere, perhaps a civilian statue or in Allied propaganda. You definitely need a cameo in that game.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Great blog.

Will the rockets be able to explode in the warfactory if shot at long enough? Sort of like an MCT weak spot. Probably not, but gota ask.

The Missiles are disarmed at that stage, so shooting them won't have an effect.

The War Factory looks awesome inside, the industrial look of it fits the Soviets all too well.

I was also wondering (or actually suggesting) if the Soviet factory will use an extensive use of rusty cranes while the Allied could use robot arms instead, similar to the one on the Allied Service Depot. This might make them look unique, while fitting their themes.

Also, is it possible to have particular items move across the assembly line of the unit you bought? For example, it it possible to show a Rhino Tank turret be placed on the vehicle by the crane/whatever-you-plan-to-use when you buy a Rhino Tank?

Last, I imagine you can put your face elsewhere, perhaps a civilian statue or in Allied propaganda. You definitely need a cameo in that game.

The Soviet War Factory will have that industrial look about it, whilst the allied counterpart will be more futuristic in it's design. Robotic arms in the Allied War Factory will probably be what we will go with.

It is also possible to do per-unit construction animations. However, since the unit is built instantly, the conveyer belt would probably serve as a transport, for unit parts to replace, the one that was just built, in a giant underground warehouse.

Guest Stormweaver

Hmm...Will terror drones be small enough to go inside buildings? Methinks they'd be great at base infiltrations + killing techys.

"Crap, theres ANOTHER tank out there, we need another techy"

"I'm on it"

"WTF, IT'S INSIDE"

"...."

"Steve? STEVE???? You alright"

-resapwn-

"You might wanna look behind you"

- The terror drone says 'LOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL' and jumps.

+ how high could it jump? infantry height? Higher?

Edited by Stormweaver

Guest BaneOfSorrows

Hmm...Will terror drones be small enough to go inside buildings?

If they can, that brings up another question. Are they capable of activating elevators?

No. Terror Drones can fuck off building interiors. Will ensure this by setting up vehicle blockers. They could kill all kinds of commando units and everything inside, which makes the soviet side overpowered in the interiors. And as you know interiors play a bigger role in the game than in Renegade, they are bigger, and we also have a new building system logic.

Forget things like this:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s206/dt...creenShot38.jpg

Terror Drones are too impractical to have roaming around structures.

We don't really want to give the terror drone much more than it's designed abilities.

Guest Stormweaver

No. Terror Drones can fuck off building interiors. Will ensure this by setting up vehicle blockers. They could kill all kinds of commando units and everything inside, which makes the soviet side overpowered in the interiors. And as you know interiors play a bigger role in the game than in Renegade, they are bigger, and we also have a new building system logic.

Forget things like this:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s206/dt...creenShot38.jpg

*SADFACE*

Thats a shame.

Guest ivan55599

building interiors and water/air are the only places where you can run away to from Terror Drones...

hohohoo! :D

there would be added shell transport line into WFs?

Edited by ivan55599

Guest Stormweaver

I know it's a topic for balence testing further down the line, but GGI's should be given some anti-drone defence...maybe when deployed they can survive with 1 hp?

But meh. Maybe a feature map with ninja drones?