Texturing & Unwrapping

Shnappz

Hey Guys,

I watched OWA's tutorial on unwrapping and it was very helpful. What it doesn't explain is what happens after you've created your unwrapped your model and created your UVW map.

I assume it gets exported as a .TGA or .DDS and you can then texture it in Paint.NET or GIMP, is that correct?

How then, do you apply this texture to the model you've created. Does the W3d Engine do this? I see a lot of unwrapped models with the texures applied in always.dat so i would think the engine does apply them...

I guess what i'm asking is how do you "link" your model in 3ds max to the texture file that's associated with it?

Thanks!

Edited by Shnappz

Although this tutorial is pretty old and for RenX it should be pretty helpful: http://renhelp.laeubi.de/tutorial-textures-tutorial.html

What you need to do is create a Renegade material in the material browser, plug in your texture and then apply it to your model. I should probably do a tutorial on this at some point.

Yeah i can add textures to models, i even learned to alpha blend ;)

I didn't realise you added the textures in 3DS max though... So the steps would be:

1. Create model

2. Unwrap Model

3. Create textures in 2d art software

4. Load textures into W3D Material edtior

5. Add textures to unwrapped UV maps?

Is this right?

Thanks mate!

Edited by Shnappz

It's more like this for a basic pipeline:

1. Create Model

2. Unwrap model

3. Export Unwrap

4. Texture unwrap in 2D Software

5. Apply texture to unwrapped model in 3dsmax by creating a W3D Material

6. Export model to W3D format with texture applied.

I guess because you've textured it in your 2D art program (like gimp) when you texture the unwrapped model, it'll fit like a glove. The exact way it should do.

Exactly. all you do when you unwrap is map out coordinates on the 3D model in 2D form, like the nett of a box etc.