Dissertation Study

Hi, I need participants to play through a small 10-20 min demo and answer a quick questionnaire afterwards for my dissertation project for my degree, if interested read on.

The demo can be found at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9T27Sp4YSQiaVdwZUFRSlNaTW8

The questionnaire can be found at https://goo.gl/forms/czRU97CLO0oQ9GvJ2

The demo is made in UE4 and opening the exe is all you need to start. Please read the rest of the post carefully before starting.

The controls are:

WASD - Movement

Mouse - look around

LClick - shoot

E - interact

Q - quest log 

alt+f4 - quit

My project is looking at three different navigation techniques and comparing them to try and determine which is the most effective.

When you start the game a timer in the top left of the screen will begin, quickly pick one of the three NPCs to talk to (E) and play through the series of missions (they will not take any longer than 20 mins in total). If you do genuinely get stuck and cannot proceed just take a note of the time and alt+f4. furthermore, please only play through the demo once.

have notepad or something open for taking notes, or an actual pen and paper. (you will need to remember some numbers, no more than 6) (and the time at the end).

The quest log (Q) will only be available for one of the mission series.

When interacting with NPCs the mouse cursor will appear, use this to click through the dialogue.

When interacting with door panels the mouse cursor will appear, click the text box and enter the number and click the enter button on the panel to proceed.

SOUND WARNING. The demo is filled with effects made by my own mouth and has an obnoxious theme playing non-stop. (debugging purposes)

The look of the demo is complete garbage as it is not what the study is looking into just game mechanics.

If anyone actually does this, thank you very much for your time, and please do not discuss the gameplay just in case someone else actually plays through it. 

Edited by theshed

I don't have time to look at it right now, but from a research perspective I have a few comments. Did you submit this to your institution's IRB? Typically they can help you get a campus mailing list to increase your sample size, as well as help you control for a few other things. This like this might technically not fall under their purview, but my university had a rather strict policy. 

Edited by OrangeP47

14 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

I don't have time to look at it right now, but from a research perspective I have a few comments. Did you submit this to your institution's IRB? Typically they can help you get a campus mailing list to increase your sample size, as well as help you control for a few other things. This like this might technically not fall under their purview, but my university had a rather strict policy. 

Yeah, it has been ethically approved if that's what you're asking.

3 hours ago, theshed said:

Yeah, it has been ethically approved if that's what you're asking.

Yeah, but also pointing out most places they have tools to help you out too, which is the least they can do when you have to jump through their hoops.