Red Alert 1 - Two Allied Campaigns

I've read some pre-release articles of Red Alert a while back and found some extra evidence other than the internal editor in the game and manual that the Allies were meant to have 2 campaigns. This article is quite early with the game being 3 months in development.

https://archive.org/details/Computer_Gaming_World_Issue_140/page/n47/mode/2up

two.png.54cd1f75c7117085497a62736f4a974b.pngtwo2.png.4df4b182b422b2dcad0c29a96c189adf.png

Spain would be their Northern HQ with Greece being the Southern HQ. More evidence to this is also in the game's original manual under their military information.

* BASE OF OPERATIONS: Headquarters, Unified Operations, London; Northern Theatre, Oslo; Southern Theatre, Madrid

Madrid, Spain, but being their Southern HQ, It's swapped in the game's editor for some reason. Oslo, Norway, so no idea why you're Greece then. With London being the Unified Operation for England, they're commonly seen as a support house in official missions. Spain missions are written as SCSxxea.ini which isn't re-used anywhere else.

While we got early NATO mock-up screenshots with Spain present and the E3 map we restored, But I can't really say if the story would of been different, how much was leftover, or combined with the single Allied campaign. But I suspect some of them may of been borrowed for the Allied Counterstrike missions, since they fit well with the original story that wasn't covered in the Allied campaign such as sarin gas; unlike the Aftermath missions which have nothing to do with the campaign.

Edited by Chad1233

• 2 weeks later...

kind of interesting actually, because the retaliation release on the PS1 went more Indepth with the Greece plot and ended up giving more perspective to the war in general.
I think this was Something the game originally wanted to portray but i guess was cut out sadly. 

I'v just recently played the campaign according to the mainline story playing both soviet and allied missions back to back until they finally meet the crossover and the allies are the ones who win it out along with the other games that feature missions within certain side plots like the fall of greece and the serran gas or the counter strike missions.

Playing it like this sort of makes things feel more weighted when you play these missions along with the mainline story back to back. 
It does beg the question of what was the original story supposed to be? 

We do have a lot of unused cutscenes that were repurposed into the mainline story, and a lot of just cut content from the story in general as seen here, -
especially in tib dawns mainline story.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 4:07 AM, thedisclaimitory said:

kind of interesting actually, because the retaliation release on the PS1 went more Indepth with the Greece plot and ended up giving more perspective to the war in general.
I think this was Something the game originally wanted to portray but i guess was cut out sadly. 

I'v just recently played the campaign according to the mainline story playing both soviet and allied missions back to back until they finally meet the crossover and the allies are the ones who win it out along with the other games that feature missions within certain side plots like the fall of greece and the serran gas or the counter strike missions.

Playing it like this sort of makes things feel more weighted when you play these missions along with the mainline story back to back. 
It does beg the question of what was the original story supposed to be? 

We do have a lot of unused cutscenes that were repurposed into the mainline story, and a lot of just cut content from the story in general as seen here, -
especially in tib dawns mainline story.

Have you seen the early Soviet script for their campaign? It's uploaded in a C&C wiki https://cnc.fandom.com/wiki/Red_Alert_1_cutscene_script. It shows that Nickos Stavros was a traitor working for the soviets, and Georgi Kukov defects to the Allies due to Stalin's brutal methods. There's also the mission where you help Vladimir Kosygin defect, I imagine he would of been originally Kukov. The original ending for the Soviets is pretty cool, they iron curtained their Badger Bomber that's carrying a nuclear payload and then chronoshift it to DC and drops it at Washington. :biggrin:

Also there was another thing I forgot to mention that's in the source code. Spain has music exclusive to their house that the other Allied houses do not get if you were to play as them in retail, such as the expansion music which some are designated to Spain and USSR instead of the Allies despite being post retail release.

I wonder if they were early WIP music exclusive to the Spain campaign that didn't get finished until the expansion packs were out?

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/7d496e8a633a8bbf8a14b65f490b4d21fa32ca03/REDALERT/THEME.CPP

Edited by Chad1233