Battle For Dune: War of Assassins - September Update - 1.0.0.8 The Shader Patch

Hey everyone, welcome to another Battle for Dune: War of Assassins Infantry Release September Update! "Two updates in one month, what??", "We barely get 3 a year!" I know, what's happened to us?!

What's New In this patch?

This is a fairly small patch compared to previous ones, but it sure does pack a punch! In this bad boy we've got a tweaked Grenade Launcher, Fixed Building HUD icons, and brand new Shaders! Here's the change List for all this tasty stuff:

- Sniper Rifles now lerp into their scopes
- Fixed missing Master Volume string
- Increased Grenade Launcher Explosion Damage Radius from 4.5 > 6
- Increased Grenade Launcher Explosion Inner Damage Radius from 1.5 > 3.5
- Fixed Building Icons not appearing on the HUD
- Added the new Bloom shaders
- Added new Outline System to infantry that appear at a distance of 25 meter (2nd Radar ring)

image.png

New Outline System and Bloom Shader

As mentioned above, we've got two cool new features that improve the graphical and gameplay quality of Battle for Dune, but the Bloom Shader (already seen in Tiberian Sun: Reborn) and the brand new Outline System!

The Bloom Shader adds a new depth to the look and feel to the lands of Arrakis, making the lighting stand out more and object pop to a greater effect!

The Outline system is something new straight off the Romanov press! To break it down for you, it's a process to make readability better for seeing infantry that are close to you. People have been having a lot of trouble on some maps to see House Harkonnen Infantry on night maps and House Atreides Infantry on lighter maps against lighter colours such as cliffs and sand, with this new System it will draw an outline around any Soldier 25 meters away from you.
The colour represents the Soldier's team being Yellow for House Atreides and Red for House Harkonnen. The Outline will fade in within the set range, and fade away when exiting the set range from the enemy Soldier. (As displayed in the image below)

image.png

This was a heavily requested feature in the past, but major thanks to Rapp for really pushing the feature request recently and help making it happen!

Saturday Game Night!

Come and join us tomorrow at 7pm GMT for our Battle for Dune Game Night!

BFD_Game_Night_Sept_23.png

That's it for this double whammy Update! We hope you like the sound of the latest changes and see you at the Game Night tomorrow to try them out!

12 hours ago, hunterX said:

Where is the Kindjal Infantry?

We didn't include the Kindjal Infantry in this version, due to how fast paced the combat is, a deployed stationary unit wouldn't stand much of a chance.

Also, the Kindjal Infantry is a unit that excels at anti-armour combat, which isn't currently present. However, they will be making a return in the next version!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanna go on my own Butlerian Jihad and gas some heebs I MEAN uhhh infidels with the Ordos Chem Trooper.

You guys got Ordos infantry gameplay in the pipeline? That's gotta be unique with the chem trooper, mortar and saboteur. Is the chem trooper the freebie class? If so how is it balanced versus Atreidies and Harkonnen light infantry? Also, does the Harkonnen Flame Trooper beat the Ordos Chem trooper 1v1?

14 hours ago, hunterX said:

I just wanna go on my own Butlerian Jihad and gas some heebs I MEAN uhhh infidels with the Ordos Chem Trooper.

You guys got Ordos infantry gameplay in the pipeline? That's gotta be unique with the chem trooper, mortar and saboteur. Is the chem trooper the freebie class? If so how is it balanced versus Atreidies and Harkonnen light infantry? Also, does the Harkonnen Flame Trooper beat the Ordos Chem trooper 1v1?

House Ordos is planned, but not for the next major version release due to the amount of work the Vehicle Release is already going to take. But I do have some high-level designs for how each Ordos infantry and vehicle is going to work/play out, but the balance is hopefully going to be able to line up pretty well with the already established weapons. The first place we always start when it comes to House vs House is the Light Infantry, making sure they are evenly balances, then work out the balance from there.

In terms of the Flamethrower vs the Chemical Spray, I'd say with the current balance of the Infantry Release (the publicly released version), the Flamethrower would win every time. However, we're looking at potentially mixing some things up for our Vehicle Release, so things might be a bit closer between the two weapons, but we still need to figure out how we can make the Chemical Spray mechanically different from the already established Flamethrower.

Cool. It makes sense that the Flamethrower would win because he is a higher tier more expensive infantry that you have to upgrade your barracks in order to train. I've been playing the original RTS game Emperor: Battle For Dune game a lot. Damn good fun!

Do you guys plan to make the Chem Sprayer a tier one free infantry class? Similar to how he is in the RTS game by being the tier 1 basic soldier. I always loved that asymmetrical balance; Atriedes and Harkonnen have regular rifle infantry but Ordos gets the deadly gas sprayers.