Blog 25 (17/04/07)

Welcome to this week's Apocalypse Rising Dev Blog. I went back to college on monday from a two week holiday and, I must say, it is very tedious. Especially in this hot weather. No matter, the mod has been moving along at a steady pace, ever closer to release. Allow me to show you a few things.

<h3>Navy SEALS</h3>

TheCrow has been working hard since he joined AR last week. His first work is of the Allied Navy SEAL. These tough troops are the best of the best when it comes to gunning down infantry and reducing buildings to little piles of rubble. (Except when Special Agent Tanya is on the field of course :D)

seal33.jpgseal44.jpg

seal55.jpgseal_updated.jpg

All work by TheCrow

Ric made the MP5 a while back and we have been discussing its setup. Should it have a scope and silencer or not? etc. If you remember, in all the nice pictures we showed you before, the MP5 had both a silencer and a scope. In a recent internal poll we have decided to do away with the silencer and keep the scope. The gun will now look a lot like this.

MP5Scope.jpg

<h3>What the team is doing right now.</h3>

I'm currently messing about with various models and setups.

Merovingian is taking a month's break from AR to contemplate various things.

Nameme is working on the Level Edit Core.

danpaul88 and BogdanV are both working on two interesting maps, BogdanV's being very RA2 based whilst danpaul88's is more based on Supreme Commander.

Ric is reworking the Chrono Miner Model whilst doing various unwraps and more.

Chevy787 is working on unwrapping rm5248's Eletric Drill that featured a few blogs back.

rm5248 is putting the finishing touches to the GI's Heavy Machine Gun.

TheCrow is working on a little C4, knocking at your door.

AxelSnog is working on the Flak Track, getting it all textured up nicely.

Staude is working on a new map. It looks a bit like RA_Bunkers.mix, but looks can be decieving.

Spice is finishing up rigging the Apocalypse Tank with all of its wheels (It has loads).

Paradox is working on the Rhino Tank treads, getting it ready to rig before I give the unwrap to someone.

Urimas is on holiday.

Svensmokavich has put his Battlefield modding on hold for a while to come and make some new maps for Renegade! The release of C&C3 inspired him to return and mod Renegade some more. Expect some nice maps and maybe a few models from him in the coming weeks :)

cfehunter has just edited this post: I've been at my fathers since i last posted on the forum and so i havnt been able to get on, atm i'm working on the warminer still and i need to talk to ric about the unwrap.

ionkill43 is making some textures for building internals so we can start getting those sorted out.

<h3>Ingame Shots Anyone?</h3>

Here we have some ingame shots of the SEAL and the Grizzly Tank in action. Some fun will he had in the coming weeks and months :)

Screen Shots Anyone?

Nameme99 edit: Thanks to Nameme99 for rigging the Grizzly tank.

<h3>Closing Thoughts and Announcements</h3>

Just a few announcements to make before I wrap this one up.

Next weeks blog and all following blogs shall be on a Wednesday. This is because of two things. For one, I get home early from college on wednesday so I have more time to write the blog and make sure that I have enough time left over for things that I need to do. In other words, it is just more conveniant for me. Also since APB changed their blog day to Sunday, changing ours to Wednesday would give you an even amount of updates spread across the week, instead of being bunched up.

That about wraps things up for this week See you next week for more Apocalypse Rising.

Guest Freak

I like the SEAL, although the helmets a bit funky, personally I think a hat or helmet like the ones US soldiers wear today would be better, and giving him some gloves (at least for 3rd person) would make it look a bit better. Grizzly looks pretty damn good ingame. Nice job overall.

Guest Iscream4pork

I'd agree that the helmet looks a little funky, and maybe a beret would look better, but I mean otherwise, it looks great, keep up the good work.

Guest Merovingian

SEAL looks great, face looks a little dull though.

Good blog but don't forget, small images to large ones are better than large ones that strech the forum template. Keep that in mind for the next blogs. :D

no easter eggs :D

there's going to be no difference between tanya and the SEAL right? thats how it was in RA2

Wrong, the Navy SEAL and Tanya weren't the same. The Seal was balls against tanks and generally not as well armoured as Tanya. Why not just buy Tanya then? Simple, only one Tanya will be allowed at any one time. There will be an anti n00b device to stop the players that are generally not good at the game, from using Tanya. Plus, in AR, SEALs won't be able to level a building with a single C4 charge. It makes them too powerful for the asking price of 1000.

SEAL looks great, face looks a little dull though.

Good blog but don't forget, small images to large ones are better than large ones that strech the forum template. Keep that in mind for the next blogs. :)

Although your advice is valid, it is generally easier to slap images down on a post instead of making it look nice. Especially after a long, tedious day at college. I'll update it on thursday, perhaps.

Guest Westy543

HOLY CRAP! Those SEALs are INSANELY good models. Very nice job, esp. with the texturing. It looks a tad off though, in the ingame shots.

PS, caps lock is cruise control for cool.

Edit: Helmet does look like it comes out a bit too much, but meh. Reminds me a tad of a bee hive.

Guest EVA-251

That SEAL looks great. My first reaction was that it was not for Renegay. The quality and realism of the outfit outstanded me. :p

He looks a tad bulky compared to the SHP version tho, and his helmet looks a bit akward. (after looking at Idle animation in which he removes it, I see it covers less of the head than the model's does)

Also, will he have the "remap" shoulder pads(or whatever they are)?

Besides that, excellent model.

The Grizzly Tank looks great, but somewhat strange when viewed the way it is on Pic 1.

Fantastic job.

Guest rako88

but the SEAL will still get multiple charges, right? Like you just need to put more charges of C4 on the MCT, like the Renegade hottie/tech. That would just make the SEAL better, multiple charges to disarm for the technician.

in the purchase icon the navy SEALS have goggles on, so you should at give them goggles, but keep the uniform, or make one skin based on the purchase icon. I never like the fact my purchase icon seals looked like they were wearing *under armour* jumpsuits. but you should give them scuba diving gear and the camo Freak suggested.

Guest cdfisk

That S.E.A.l. is the shit, well done. I also can't wait to see what the GIs will look like, I can seriously say that I will be doing some massive asskicking with the GIs and the SEALs.

I vote *****

(....Should stay off of YTMND for a while I guess. hmm...)

Guest Chronojam

Very very nice work. I hope eventually we can get a new set of infantry in there too, as the ones we had done years ago to replace the current ones are already a bit dated xD I can't wait to see the rest.

Guest cuddling

/me throws a party of nameme :D

Very good job, the SEAL are insanely well done. It doesnt look like as though its running on the renegay engine (unless u count careful looking at the arms and stuff) But the helmet DOES look out of place... doesnt really fit into AR somehow. Makes me think of C&C 3 when I saw that

Guest Kicken

Something is up with his shoulders or lack thereof. Also his mid torso looks like it is clipping strangely. Also his satchels look skewed. These factors take away greatly from the model.