Blog 76 (09/04/08)

Guest Kakashi

Only codec pack anyone should need it CCCP. That plays about 90% of the formats found in the web. And if you're into Mac formats but have a windows Rig try realalternative and quicktimealternative. If all above fails VLC plays it anyways.

Guest player1

Installing excessive amounts of codecs can slow WMP down, and cause it to become unstable. Hence why I only install the commonly used ones, which are DivX, Xvid and AC3Filter.

Doesn't slow down me any at all =/ It runs fast and smooth....

Guest Harble

Quite a lengthy video. Nice. I recognized Breaking Benjamin and One Winged Angel, but that's about it. :D What's that particular remix called?

And holy shit @ magic trees.

Installing excessive amounts of codecs can slow WMP down, and cause it to become unstable. Hence why I only install the commonly used ones, which are DivX, Xvid and AC3Filter.

Well the video is encoded using ffdshow and it is of the mpeg format.

@r34ch and Harble, the track is called Black Wing Metamorphosis and is a remix of the track 'One Winged Angel' from Final Fantasy 7. It is on the fourth disc of the 'Voices of the Lifestream' OC remix album.

Guest EVA-251

a fine blog, but why the complicated veterancy stuff?

RA2 did it fine with VeteranFactor=3.0

A conscript had to kill 300 credits worth of enemies to be promoted 1 level in veterancy. A GI had to kill 600 credits worth of enemies to be promoted 1 level.

Shouldn't you guys have rules.ini open when making this? I know I would. :S

a fine blog, but why the complicated veterancy stuff?

RA2 did it fine with VeteranFactor=3.0

A conscript had to kill 300 credits worth of enemies to be promoted 1 level in veterancy. A GI had to kill 600 credits worth of enemies to be promoted 1 level.

Shouldn't you guys have rules.ini open when making this? I know I would. :S

Since Conscripts and GIs are both free in AR, the Conscript loses it's edge of having two of them to every one GI bought.

Guest EVA-251

I dont see any of this as being an issue.

OWA, that seems like an excuse, and danpaul88, I dont think that is true.

GI costed 200, Conscript costed 100, you have demonstrated your scripts abilities, and I dont see why you cannot just fit an override for these two free chaps.

*GI was superior, but remember, to even get to a veteran, going by this system, would have to kill 6 Conscripts without death or class change. The fact that the GI requires a possibly (hopefully) slightly time consuming deploy be effective would (again, hopefully) handicap his overpoweredness.

*Conscript, however, costing less, was easier to promote. Kill 2 GIs, and you got a promotion. Kill another, congrats- you are elite! The fact that the Conscript had no need to deploy to fight effectively, but died easy combined with easier veterancy would even out the GI very much...

You could argue that the contrasts between the sides could be abused and make the game unfair for one side, but that more than likely means one side is not thinking enough.

If two units (spare the "they are starting units stuff" also) is the excuse to not follow RA2 in this issue, then so be it, it is your game. Part of making a recreation of a game, be it cross-genre or not, is trying to be close to the source material as possible, while navigating through the issues that would presented by doing this. This just seems like the easy way out, imo.

Edited by EVA-251

I dont see any of this as being an issue.

OWA, that seems like an excuse, and danpaul88, I dont think that is true.

GI costed 200, Conscript costed 100, you have demonstrated your scripts abilities, and I dont see why you cannot just fit an override for these two free chaps.

*GI was superior, but remember, to even get to a veteran, going by this system, would have to kill 6 Conscripts without death or class change. The fact that the GI requires a possibly (hopefully) slightly time consuming deploy be effective would (again, hopefully) handicap his overpoweredness.

*Conscript, however, costing less, was easier to promote. Kill 2 GIs, and you got a promotion. Kill another, congrats- you are elite! The fact that the Conscript had no need to deploy to fight effectively, but died easy combined with easier veterancy would even out the GI very much...

You could argue that the contrasts between the sides could be abused and make the game unfair for one side, but that more than likely means one side is not thinking enough.

If two units (spare the "they are starting units stuff" also) is the excuse to not follow RA2 in this issue, then so be it, it is your game. Part of making a recreation of a game, be it cross-genre or not, is trying to be close to the source material as possible, while navigating through the issues that would presented by doing this. This just seems like the easy way out, imo.

AR isn't an RTS. If we were making a RA2 RTS conversion then yeah, every detail would apply. But as this is an FPS environment, we have to take in some consideration to balancing.

Our aim has always been to make the Conscript and the GI the basic spawn characters (although I think that spawning as technicians would be our only real alternative). Although your point about the veterancy is a very valid one, as the conscript doesn't have the benefits of sandbags and a heavy machine gun. We'll see how it turns out in testing. If the GI trumps the Conscript too much, we'll lower the promotion requirements for the Conscript.

It's all about tweaking the game to make it playable in the FPS perspective as well as resonating some good vibes from the source material and we hope to make a compromise with this issue, if we can.

Finally, an unrelated thing that I forgot to mention earlier. I found a pack of RA2 idle sounds that were hosted somewhere which have come in extremely handy. I'll make sure to add you into the credits list, EVA-251 :D

Guest iambryan1234

It's called scripts. Haven't you seen crap in APB that's not in Renegade? Like, oh, the gap bubble perhaps?

My bad. I forgot :D

Guest Srowell3

all looks great guys. keep it up and yeh that is one hello of a tank! but wtf that video is 155Mb Owa! lol oh well ill just have to wait another 1 hour 35mins to get it!

Edited by Srowell3

Guest iambryan1234

Can't wait for this to be out. Lol some guy named Cesar in APB was asking where he could download it. And before i forget, i wanna ask one question, can Tanya and the SEAL swim? And of course, one last thing. Will it work like apb, like you wanna play WOL, you launch the game straightaway but if you wanna play, say on your servers, you launch another application that allows you to view the news from the creators of APB and AR and you can select the servers that you provide us.... Give us something like that again, please.

Edited by iambryan1234