Blog 131 (06/05/09)

Welcome to the first blog of May 2009. I'm not going to blather on long in this section, so feel free to read below.

<h3>Model Update: Grizzly Tank</h3>

I've been working on remodelling the Grizzly Tank, since the older models had a habit of exploding on us. What I have modelled so far has been kept fairly close to the ingame voxel and I'm happy about how it's turning out.

Not really much else to say here other than check it out below!

Grizzly2-1.png

Grizzly1-1.pngGrizzly3-1.png

<h3>Recruitment!</h3>

Yes sports fans, we are openly recruiting now, with two positions open!

<h4>Position 1: Texture Artist</h4>

Since TheBeerinator is our only dedicated texture artist (aside from Guy with a wrench), we are looking to hire some fresh artists.

What we are looking for in a texture artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the forseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competant at creating their own textures.
  • is over the age of 16.

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures if you have any.

<h4>Position 2: PR Guy</h4>

As some of you may know, our moddb page hasn't been updated in yonks. So I think it's time we hired a new PR guy. But beware, this position is CURSED! :)

What we are looking for in a PR guy, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • is able to type in good english.
  • will be active in the forseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is dependable and reliable at updating the moddb page as well as the site news.
  • is over the age of 16.

PM me with your application stating why you want to be our PR guy (along with Lord_Kane) and also explain why you think you will make a good PR guy.

Bonus points are awarded to those who provide an example post based on this blog (E.g: "In the latest AR blog we have grizzly tanks lololol").

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I drove back down the motorway in the dark on sunday, so I am delivering you this blog from home! The may fair is in town this week, so I'm probably going on friday :D

cfehunter may be coming with me too.

dtrngd has final exams on at the moment. Wish him luck!

There was talk of mind control recently. But noting much was discussed. We'll be having a team conflab soon to get everyone setup for summer.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Imma Firin' Mah Lazer: The Collection

Old, but good.

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Next week we will have...</h3>

...and that's why next week's blog will rock. Seeya!

Thta new Grizzly is just amazing, very nice work mate!

Yeah another texture artist would move things along so much more.

Another great blog, keep up the great work!

Guest EVA-251

I feel you have overdone the roundness on the Grizzly Tank.

GrizzlyAngular.png

The cameo, the render of the Grizzly in the Terror Drone attack scene all show a tank that is fairly angular, as does the ingame voxel.

Guest Ascendancy

To be honest I think that Grizzly looks pretty slick. Sure, it may be a little too round, but quite frankly I like the way it looks now.

Guest Xiphias6

The turret looks weird imo. The shape and the...thing connecting it to the hull. :D The rest of the tank looks epic, though.

Guest Kakashi

What I find more confusing is the "belly" of the tank, from the screenshots it apears as if it's going way too close to the ground. It also reminds me of a cock swelling it's chest the way it extrudes in the front :D.

Guest HunterXc
What I find more confusing is the "belly" of the tank, from the screenshots it apears as if it's going way too close to the ground. It also reminds me of a cock swelling it's chest the way it extrudes in the front :D .

On the first picture you can see that the belly isnt going downwards, but upwards(top-right render):

Grizzly2-1.png

So I dont think there will be a problem with that one.

Edited by HunterXc

Guest Kakashi

On the first picture you can see that the belly isnt going downwards, but upwards(top-right render):

So I dont think there will be a problem with that one.

Funny enough, that picture is the reason for my last post. To me it looks to be the opposite of what you said, but mybe I'm just lookg at it from an odd angle :D.

Guest killertomato

The Grizzly is pretty good, but the turret is too rounded for my taste. I remember it being kind of slab-sided.

Guest Stormweaver

I like it.

I kinda represents the whole fluid form the allies have, which should contrast with the soviet angulary theme they got going on. +1 yes grizzly.

Guest HunterXc
Funny enough, that picture is the reason for my last post. To me it looks to be the opposite of what you said, but mybe I'm just lookg at it from an odd angle :D .

Also note that the grizzly is a bit rotated which might make it look like it's going down + the grizzly render in the upper-right corner is also not placed perfectly horizontal, which also makes it look a bit weird...

ninjaedit: empty space removed per your request.

Edited by dtrngd

Guest BaneOfSorrows

I have to agree with EVA here. The turret should be a little less round, and even possibly a little wider. Otherwise, the body looks spectacular. An enormous improvement from the last one.

Also: PR Position open!!! Wooo!! *PMs 500 applications*

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I can't find the video with XCC mixer (let alone not being able to embed a movie :X), but if you go to here, select 2000: Red Alert 2 and select the video "WELCOME THE TERROR DRONES", you can see the Grizzly Tank's back and turret.

http://games.ea.com/cncmovies/redalert.html

(Thanks to Gurgle)

The whole tank is actually angled and faced. However, pictures of things in Red Alert 2 are very inconsistent, so you might need to make a compromise on all of them, because some show them angular, and some show them rounder. I would say to make the turret look like a mix of the shape of your old model, and the movie: (The first picture is the old model on ModDB, and the others are from the cutscene:

GrizzlyTankSlants.jpg

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I do think you should make it similar like your old model, though. I think the view of the turret from the top (as seen by the terror drone in green) looks a bit different than what we are used to with the voxel, but the bottom picture seems to fit more of the look.

Just make the thin band separating the top half and bottom half of the turret lower, stretching the top half and giving it the sloped look EVA was talking about, rather than keeping it in the center.

Also, I was wondering, did you remove the machine gun turret on the top so newbies wouldn't confuse it for being usable?

Guest BaneOfSorrows

I think the view of the turret from the top (as seen by the terror drone in green) looks a bit different than what we are used to with the voxel, but the bottom picture seems to fit more of the look.

The second picture actually looks exactly as I imagined it, with more of an angled look as opposed to the roundness of the new turret.

Just make the thin band separating the top half and bottom half of the turret lower, stretching the top half and giving it the sloped look EVA was talking about, rather than keeping it in the center.

This.

Also, application submitted. ^^

Edited by BaneOfSorrows

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Also, application submitted. :D

Is that your 501st application then? :)

(No Star Wars reference intended)

Guest EVA-251

well the current model is based on the voxel and it's fairly spot on.

Voxel isn't round in any respect, really. Especially in the turret area. :D

And Adrw, the consistency with the Grizzly Tank is undeniable. Just look at the 3 versions (cameo, FMV, voxel) and it isn't hard to notice the same model was used.

gtnkicon%200000.png

GrizzlyAngular.png

GrizzlyTDrone.png

(actually, looking at the FMV and cameo more, I am starting to think they used the same render scene to do both, with the cameo being much more saturated and having a slightly different lighting set up)

BTW, you guys do have all of RA2's voxels extracted, and are using such fancy tools as OS VXLSE III, HVA Builder and Voxel Viewer to do assist in your modelling work, right? :)

Edited by EVA-251

Guest HunterXc

Now that I look better at the voxel, you can see that the front of the turret indeed isnt round and indeed does look more angled