Blog 131 (06/05/09)

Guest A_Mustang

the front of the turret needs to be more angular, as EVA-251 says. This makes it look like the successor of the M1 Abrams tank. (it could also use a 30% longer barrel, but I don't think you'll listen to me on this as it is strictly my personal preference)

Also, I was wondering, did you remove the machine gun turret on the top so newbies wouldn't confuse it for being usable?

Also to stop people complaining that it's unusable. They may be added at a later date though.

Voxel isn't round in any respect, really. Especially in the turret area. :D

And Adrw, the consistency with the Grizzly Tank is undeniable. Just look at the 3 versions (cameo, FMV, voxel) and it isn't hard to notice the same model was used.

(actually, looking at the FMV and cammeo more, I am starting to think they used the same render scene to do both, with the cameo being much more saturated and having a slightly different lighting set up)

BTW, you guys do have all of RA2's voxels extracted, and are using such fancy tools as OS VXLSE III, HVA Builder and Voxel Viewer to do assist in your modelling work, right? :)

Judging by all the replies, it seems like the angular route is the way to go. I'll do a re-hash sometime and put it up in one of the next blogs.

I do use OS VXLSE III for our referance work now (before I was just going on ingame screenies, FMVs and concept art).

Thankyou all for your feedback.

I would like to apply to help you guys out but since I'm starting production to make my own game (still pending however) and since I'm already doing PR job for another two games I'm not sure how much spare time I could offer. If the required time could be specified more I could tell but I'm not sure yet.

Guest EVA-251

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/6967/gallery37117212.jpg

There is an image of Grizzly model from unrealised Renegade 2.

That's how Westwood saw this tank. I know that it doesn't look exactly like voxel, but it is also nearly official Grizzly image.

The models of Renegade II are completely different from Red Alert 2. The Prism Tank, Light Tank, Hind, Grizzly Tank, Apocalypse Tank and Rhino Tank are new designs that only possibly draw influence from the original RA2 designs.

Guest HunterXc

but that Ren2 Grizzly has a face! I tell you, a tank with a face = pwn ;0

Altough it's indeed not really a RA2 render, there Are some elements that come back that look like the grizzly in RA2..

Guest Kakashi

(actually, looking at the FMV and cameo more, I am starting to think they used the same render scene to do both, with the cameo being much more saturated and having a slightly different lighting set up)

On the FMV you see the back of the tank with the turret turned to face you, on the cameo you look at the front of the tank, so I doubt that it's the same render.

Guest EVA-251

On the FMV you see the back of the tank with the turret turned to face you, on the cameo you look at the front of the tank, so I doubt that it's the same render.

Looking at it a little more, I believe you would be correct. However, the background and model used are the same, with the rotation and lighting being the differences.

Guest Gurgle
will be active in the forseeable future
The forseeable future... Comrade Chairman, I am the future.

>_>

Well, I'll just jump on the bandwagon here and say that the Grizzly's turret is too roundish.

Though, I think some units just don't translate very well from a top-down 2.5D perspective to an FPS-style 3D model - the Grizzly Tank, Apoc Tank and Flak Track.

(On the other hand units like the Harrier, Prism Tank, and V3 Launcher translate very well.)

Oh, and RenXc... IT DOES HAVE A FACE :D

Edited by Gurgle

Guest Lt Albrecht

If you take the FMVs the grizzly will translate fine, it can be sleek and angular, it's about making it look aerodynamic.

Guest HunterXc

Oh, and RenXc... IT DOES HAVE A FACE :D

RenXc?

I'm HunterXc, RenXc is a member of our clan yes, altough he's not very active.

Edited by HunterXc

Guest HunterXc
Oh, dammit! Sorry.

Too similar D:

but the face is still there...

The face stays ;p

It's ok, as long as you know Xc is a clan from now on, everything is fine ;p

Anyway back on topic, let me also mention some good things about the current Grizzly render too:

1. I like the claws.

2. The cannon also looks very nice and detailed

I'm really looking forward to see this one textured, coming to that I really should continue my texture-lessons.

Edited by HunterXc