Blog 136 (11/06/09)

Welcome to this week's blog. I don't have much for you. But hopefully it'll be enough.

<h3>AK47 and the New Face of the Statue</h3>

I've been working on modelling up the AK47 for the Soviet Barracks Statue (it may also be used in APB too). Also edited recently, was the Statue's face; which has now changed from my handsome mug to some randomly generated hard russian-looking guy.

I'll let the pictures do the talking, but please bear in mind that the AK is work in progress.

Comments and critisism are welcome though.

AK47WIP4.pngStatueMan-1.png

<h3>A Bridge Too Far</h3>

rm5248 has been working on a bridge for mapppers to mass produce. This will be placeable in level edit so you guys don't have to model your own bridges unless you really want to. Hopefully the use of more static meshes like these will bring out some really awesome maps from the community.

Here are some images of the new bridge. In the first image is a comparison of it up against the old bridge.

bridge1.jpgbridge3.jpg

<h3>Terror Drone Control</h3>

Recently the topic, of where the Terror Drones should be controlled from and which building they are linked to, has come up. Let me explain.

The original idea was to have the terror drones controlled via the Soviet Radar, so when it was disabled, Terror Drones couldn't be controlled anymore. But then we realised that the Terror Drone was War Factory tech, so we moved the terror drone consoles over to there instead.

However we don't feel that this makes sense anymore. So what do you guys think?

Should we stick to our original idea of linking Terror Drones with the Radar or should we follow canon and link the Terror Drones to the War Factory at the expense of logic?

We'd really like to hear your thoughts on this matter.

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm off to Download Festival this weekend. See you in the mosh pit Aido!

cfehunter has finished or is near the end of college now, I believe.

dtrngd likes Guild Warez (Wars), but I think he likes War Factories more :D

TheBeerinator is working on texturing a few nice things for you guys to see. It was also his birthday on wednesday! Give him a congrats! Also happy birthday to Zonekill, player01, Battlelaf and Stippel!

Look out for some tech structure interiors from Guy with a wrench soon!

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Have some ninja stalking cat!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

The rest of the team is working on various things.

<h3>Don't Worry...</h3>

...Be Happy!

Just don't forget, if the Terror Drones are linked to the Radar, that means Nighthawks will be radar tech too, meaning each side on lowtech maps such as Dune Patrol and Blood Feud will only have 3 buyable vehicles INCLUDING Miners!

But if you want Rhino/Grizzly tanks and IFVs/Flak Tracks the only buyable war vehicles on low tech maps then vote for that.

Post is to show you the consequences and gameplay effect.

Guest GummiBear

Love that statue (incl. the AK), and very nice bridge too.

I say go with the canon and ling the terror drones to War Factory... after all there is a lot of things that isn't really that logical in RA2 (and thus wont be in AR too), so screw logic.

Guest v1410nl

Will the barracks' statue still be a secret playable character as you promised a (long) time ago? D:

I say it must depend on the map from where you can control the Terror Drone, if there is a Radar you should control it via there. And if there is no Radarbuilding, you control it via the War Factory.

Anyways, lolblog as always.

Why not both, Maps with only a War Factory should have Terror drones still.

But you could have them usable from the radar as well, and keep the radar relationship with the terror drone.

Basically what V1410nl said.

Besides having to go to a single room to use the terror drones is neat, but the other vehicles can be built from anywhere, This gives the Drone users a bit more freedom.

Guest Stormweaver

Hmmm...

Personally I like the idea of them being controled from the War Factory, but thats just me. The soviet radar never looked to me like it would be high-tech enough for remote control >.>

But this raises a problem. Albeit, allied robot tanks in the future. But...One can has ideas, yes?

It came to me in a dream...well, a daydream. Personally, with capture-able structures being included, why not units too? The terror drone and robot tanks are perfect examples for this. Basically, engi's could go up to an enemy, disabled one and possibly convert it (hopefully before the opposing team manage to re-activate it) at which time it gets hooked up to your team's power supply/radio frequency or whatever, and automates itself back to your base to park itself somewhere...logical. After that, these units can be accessed from a terminal in the Radar domes...

I think we should have both. I realise I kinda went off point there, so I'll come back now. Basically, there should be a limit to the number of automated tanks/units that can be used at any time, but it could be set up with, say, 4 terminals in the war factory and another 4 in the radar dome (numbers free to be changed ofc)

This way these units could be used on small, low tech maps, just not in huge, army raping numbers, wheras on higher tech maps where people *can* deal with them, there can be more.

(allied base would sub the robot command center in for the radar dish, obviously, but that's a while off.)

Blog looks great. I still want commando Terror drones though >.>

You could make it a basement that was seperate yet able to connect to both the War Factory and the Radar as needed. Killing the War Factory would not allow you to make any more, but still able to control any that were alive. Doesn't really have to be able to be killed either.

Edited by OAM

Guest Trevelian

Ah yes, more splendid news from the front. It is most appreciated Owa.

As far as the discussion about the terror drones go, it doesn't really bother me if the controls are in the Radar. But i'd like to point out that it would make a wee bit more sense to me if the controls are in the War Factory since in RA2 the drones were not dependant on the Radar site itself.

Guest HunterXc

Lucky for me I was way to busy with school to finish the old bridge then, saved me some extra work :D

Nice Statue btw, cant wait to see it together with the baracks.

Oh and, I think it's me to blame for Dt's addiction, I pushed him to check out what was wrong with his client as it wasnt working in the past :v

Guest pzeper
Welcome to this week's blog. I

...Also happy birthday to Zonekill, player01, Battlelaf and Stippel!...

You spelled BattleLaf's name wrong :D (Zonekill9's too but you probably just shortened his.)

I'd prefer that the terror drone room be in the War Factory. However, if you've already set it up to be in the radar, and it is a fairly difficult process to move, then I personally wouldn't be too critical over it being there. And cool bridge bro (looks a lot better then the old one.)

Guest NX01class

I think it should be in both structures. We could atleast give the Radar some value to keep alive aside form mini radar.

GREAT BLOG btw.

PS:It's my birthday as well. 21 FTW!!! :D

Edited by NX01class

I do love that statue, and i was so looking forward to shooting you, OWA in the face :D

Ah cool bridges but they will be abit of a pain to place due to those kind of things being modelled around.

Another geat blog, keep it up1!!!

It could be set up with, say, 4 terminals in the war factory and another 4 in the radar dome (numbers free to be changed ofc)

This way these units could be used on small, low tech maps, just not in huge, army raping numbers, wheras on higher tech maps where people *can* deal with them, there can be more.

^ This.

It's a simple way to have both.

Put a number of terminals in each building, so rather than having a flat "yes" or "no" as to whether or not there will be drones, it will depend on the tech level of the map instead. Higher Tech = more drones.

Guest Glaed

I agree with having some terminals in the radar, and some in the War Factory. Say 3 or 4 in the War Factory, and an extra 2 in the radar?

Guest BabyMouse

How about something like the Net runner's chairs? They sat in them to control "drones" or viruses through a network. Maybe a similar chair could be designed for control of terror drones, like in a basement level of the War Factory, or Radar dish.

Guest NODnuke45

Definitely link the terminal to the war factory, cus if u dont... ILL KILL U... lol jk but sriusly link it 2 the War Factory cus if it is linked 2 the radar then it becomes the vehicle most vulnerable 2 getting permanently disabled cus if the War Factory dies theres no more terror drone, and if the radar dies, no more terror drone... and without the terror drone... there is nothing but... CHAOS :D lol jk.

Guest ivan55599

terror drone controlled from War Factory imo. but what use raadar have then?

"I agree with having some terminals in the radar, and some in the War Factory. Say 3 or 4 in the War Factory, and an extra 2 in the radar"

Guest Xiphias6

I don't think you will be able to buy more then 4 and 4 cannot kill the Conyard in RA2

ChAos is correct, 4 BEs can't even kill a Refinery, you'd need five. However four is more than enough to kill _any_ tank on the battlefield :D

Guest GummiBear

ChAos is correct, 4 BEs can't even kill a Refinery, you'd need five. However four is more than enough to kill _any_ tank on the battlefield :D

if you can get the 4 of them to shoot same target :)

Edited by GummiBear