Blog 158 (15/11/09)

Welcome to this week's blog! Sorry about the delay, but I have been on a Muse break around Birmingham and London. (Meaning: I saw Muse twice and they were awesome!) I recommend that everyone should take a listen to some of their stuff.

Anyway, here come some updates!

<h3>Grizzly Tank Texture</h3>

Guy with a wrench is currently applying the finishing touches to the Grizzly Tank's texture. This will hopefully make it into the new alpha test, so watch out for that one. (This means we can retire the old Chronowar model that we've been using forever).

griztfront-1.jpggriztback-1.jpg

griztview-1.jpg

<h3>Prism Tower Logic</h3>

danpaul88 has been fixing up his old Prism Tower firing code to work better. Beforehand, the game used to crash when the Towers got stuck in infinite loops, but this has been rectified. Next up on the list is the code that makes the damage multiply when multiple prism towers fire into each other.

Because we are nice chaps, you can have a video for this one.

Note: This is NOT an accurate representation of game balance, it is simply a test to make sure the towers fire into each other correctly. Nothing more, nothing less.

<h3>New Infantry</h3>

The team has been badgering me and it's about time the infantry models were finalised. The meshes on a few of my other infantry models didn't fit the w3d rig and certain parts were poorly modelled.

I've now rectified this by producing a final revision of my infantry base character which shall be used extensively. I have begun to model the conscript which can be seen below. On the todo list for him are quite a lot of things as you can probably see. A big Russian belly is one of these things, because he currently looks like a weedy excuse for a communist.

Check it out!

NewConscript.png

<h3>New Staff & Updates</h3>

We currently have a few new applications for staff which is great to see! We are still processing a few of them but I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate Occult13 for gaining a place on the team as a mapper and general artist. :D

Everyone give him a warm welcome!

As for news on new testers; please bear with us as we are still going through your applications. We had a massive number of applicants, as you may already know, so Chronojam will probably make a big announcement on who made the cut in a future APB blog. So keep watching those!

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been around the country on trains this week. It was worth it to see Muse and catch up with some old friends :) Shout out goes to Shannon, George and Sarah for the Pwoper Muse Cruise.

cfehunter called me up for drinks yesterday, but I couldn't go, mainly because I had just got in from the train.

danpaul88 has been scripting and waiting for scripts 4.0 to be fixed up a little bit more.

Eggman891 made a weapon placeholder which consists of the new gun hands posed to look like a pew pew finger gun. (Think the Heavy's taunt from TF2). Many lols will be had.

Guy with a wrench has been working awesomely fast as per-usual.

The rest of the team has been discussing various things, including why nGons are bad.

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

We are looking for extra staff members to join our ranks!

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>2d Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in a 2d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the foreseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competent at creating their own 2d textures.
  • is over the age of 16 (we overlook this if you are what we assess to be a mature individual. This rule is known as the TruYuri rule).

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures, if you have any.

(By the way, thanks to everyone who applied to be a tester, we are sorting through the applications now!)

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Do you like Rice? Are you Extreme? If you answered yes to both, then you will love this video.

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

For those of the Extreme disposition, you may also enjoy Extreme Exorcism.

<center><object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object></center>

<h3>It was late...</h3>

...but was it great?

Send your answer to this thread. Posts cost 50p for whoever pays the internet bill.

Guest ivan55599

Grizzly Tank's texture.

professional texture/modelling at all

A big Russian belly is one of these things

WHAT? hmm, hopefully not too fat... beer belly..

Edited by ivan55599

Guest Occult13

I can only say thanks to everyone who supported me and that I hope good things will come out of this new responsability of mine!

Nice blog btw. The Grizzly looks awesome now, and the idea of having different camo colours from the same patterns will allow texturers to quickly change it if needed. Nice job! :D

Guest danisnod

Is it going to be scripted so on each map you have a certain texture? Or can you choose? Because I think it should be scripted, because it isn't very smart to have an urban camo tank in a snowy field. I mean, the ability to choose would be nice, but I'm concerned about how it might affect gameplay. Also, the Conscript uniform looks like it fits just a TAD bit too tight on the torso *I'm so critical :D *. Otherwise, everything looks good. And the picture of the 4 grizzly's in line, is that going to be ingame? Because it looks awesome.

Guest HunterXc

I love the grizzly texture, it's plain awesome, cool graphics, cool design, props!

Also, I love the mountains in the background, look really real!

Keep'on rolling guys!

Is it going to be scripted so on each map you have a certain texture? Or can you choose? Because I think it should be scripted, because it isn't very smart to have an urban camo tank in a snowy field. I mean, the ability to choose would be nice, but I'm concerned about how it might affect gameplay. Also, the Conscript uniform looks like it fits just a TAD bit too tight on the torso *I'm so critical :D *. Otherwise, everything looks good. And the picture of the 4 grizzly's in line, is that going to be ingame? Because it looks awesome.

Think APB for the camo switching. It would be silly to have random camos and restrictive to have map-set camos. I always take the urban camo because I personally think that it looks badass. It's that way so that a few people can identify me on the field (because they know I always use the urban).

Also about the conscript:

On the todo list for him are quite a lot of things as you can probably see. A big Russian belly is one of these things, because he currently looks like a weedy excuse for a communist.

The grizzly mountain is a still render, so it probably won't be ingame.

Guest Stormweaver

Think APB for the camo switching. It would be silly to have random camos and restrictive to have map-set camos. I always take the urban camo because I personally think that it looks badass. It's that way so that a few people can identify me on the field (because they know I always use the urban).

Also about the conscript:

The grizzly mountain is a still render, so it probably won't be ingame.

Well, APB has already shown it's possible to have a 'default' texture for units in a map, so It's just a case of having it set so the first one you would click on is the map-specific one...not hard really.

Anyways...could have sworn I posted here at like 4am when OWA told people ingame the blog was up, but...

CONGRATS OCCULT :D

Oh, and the blog is awesome too.

Guest BigCheese256

Epic texture on those Grizzly Tanks. :)

Can't wait to know when the new testers will be announced. :)

And have fun in the BHP officer's club Occult13! (Don't drink too much beer :) ) (/me thinks about maps made by a drunk Occult :D )

Guest HYBRID BEING

Nice blog.

Love those Grizzly tanks, urban-camo is my choice. It's canonical :D <- OMG, someone should fix the white dot.

As video is only demonstration of prism logic, the particles/projectile (i'm bad at this stuff) will be also redone, i assume?

I'll pass on infantry. You already said everything :)

And the video is pretty funny. At first i thought WTF is this idiot doing but then i was like... I liked the way his hair waved in the wind when he milled rice, lol.

Guest danisnod

Well, APB has already shown it's possible to have a 'default' texture for units in a map, so It's just a case of having it set so the first one you would click on is the map-specific one...not hard really.

I suppose you're right. So then most people will just pick the first one right off the bat.

Guest Stormweaver

I suppose you're right. So then most people will just pick the first one right off the bat.

Exactly. Be it in a week, month, or year, AR is going to be amazingly epic imo.