Weapons used in Tiberian Dawn (Mostly related to something I wanted to do for a long time)

GeneralCamo

Do I have to weigh in on this, too?[]

Of course yes)

Calico M-950 Semiautomatic Rifles (U.S., according to imagery), SA-80 L85A1 Automatic Rifles (United Kingdom), G3s (Germany), AK-47s (Russia)

If we "stick to realism" that would rather be M-16/CAR-15/M-4 for Americans and AKS-74 for Russians. That's was it was standard infantry service rifles for that time period in reality.

As for the "minigunner" well, the thing is than the manual didn't ever stated they were using miniguns at all. GDI troops were stated to use "GAU-3 chainguns", chambered in 5,56mm (chaingun isn't necessary a multi-barreled weapon at all) and Nod troops were stated to use M-16 automatic rifles.

And if we use realism approach my guess is that GAU-3 could in fact be an XM-8, just entering service at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

regarding the commando... i think he should have a long and rapid fire weapon as well as having the pump shotgun i mean he is a commando

P.S he should also have LOTS of BOMBS!!!!!! :dance:

-AuSpecter

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everyone here seems to be ignoring the fact that that "minigunner" pic was only made for the C&C Gold Win95 rerelease of the game. They just stuffed whatever prop they had lying around in the guy's hands for that manual pic. The original DOS version doesn't contain that pic anywhere; it uses this image for the minigunner:

E1.gif

Yup... an actual minigun ;)

From the way the 'minigunner' actually shoots ingame, and the fact the cover art of the game has an M16 at the side, it's fairly clear that the actual ingame weapon is an M16A2 on 3-round burst mode.

On a related note... in Renegade they kind of got around this by actually making "officers" who more or less did carry a mobile heavy machine gun, quite comparable to a minigun,

---

As for the commando... yeah, no excuse there. That was made purely to look cool. That is in no way a sniper rifle :D

Edited by One Winged Angel

• 3 weeks later...
From the way the 'minigunner' actually shoots ingame, and the fact the cover art of the game has an M16 at the side, it's fairly clear that the actual ingame weapon is an M16A2 on 3-round burst mode.

Well, the manual do confirm that Brotherhood of Nod's minigunner are indeed armed with M16 rifles, while GDI's weapon of choice is something called the "GAU-3 "Eliminator" chaingun", chambered in 5,56mm.

They just stuffed whatever prop they had lying around in the guy's hands for that manual pic

Well, Calico M951 (even more likely - Calico M951S - civilian semi-auto version) ( like this one - http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/12/07/703974_01_calico_m951_preban_9mm_carbine_640.jpg) was in fact used in the cutscenes at least few times. However, videogame budgets were significantly lower then (mid 1990s) compared to tens of millions USD that could be invested into an prime-grade videogame nowadays - so it would not be far fetched to assume that the devs of Tiberian Dawn simply "made do" with a single Calico SMG (only one Calico at a time per every cutscenes it is shown) and several Beretta 92 pistols.

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2015 at 4:02 PM, Jerad2142 said:

Not a big fan of the flame thrower myself:

*Terrible way to die (far from instant, very painful, and destroys the body so loved ones only get a box of charcoal).

*Short ranged, forces them to hide in trenches or in other tight spots until the enemy is on top of them.

*The user is stuck running around with a big firebomb on his back.

*Friendly fire with this weapon would be most unforgiving.

The main way the flamethrowers kill is by suffocation and the entire explode when hit is mostly false, more info here 

That's a pretty big necropost there. 2 years is a new record I think?

Please don't reply to un-pinned threads that are years old.

I'm just going to lock this.