Blog 45 (05/09/07)

Welcome to this weeks AR blog. I have approached this in a differant way this week because it has been written by the team! Enjoy!

<h3>Internals Update</h3>

The Mighty Merovingian has been working hard over the past few days and whipped up a fantastic internals to the Soviet Refinery. Check them out!

SovRef07.png

SovRef02.png

SovRef03.pngSovRef04.png

SovRef05.png

<h3>Rebuildable buildings</h3>

We can now officially announce that we are able to do rebuildable buildings! This breakthrough in level edit mastery by BogdanV has enabled us to make any structure rebuildable. We will probably implement this into the Construction yard so you are only able to rebuild things if a Construction yard is present.

If you budding modders want to know how we are acheiving this, check below for BogdanV's statement on the mechanics of this logic.

Physically speaking, I've done it. All rebuildable buildings WILL have bones instead of proxies (since terrain meshes aren't anymore involved).

This means that if you want to attach doors/elevators/etc., you'll have to attach them through bones.

As for aggregates, I suggest keeping all of them in the main building model and animating them via skeletal anims. This way, when using "damaged_play_anim"-type scripts, you would give them the skeletal anim corresponding to the damage state the structure is in.

Also, the final destroyed-state object should be a separate model that would act as the rebuildable wreckage.

Also, the intact model (the building itself) should have a build-up anim as its base anim (ie. mabar.mabar or something similar).

Another thing would be the building's functional behavior (give power, radar, etc.). This can only be covered by scripts and if Danpaul is kind enough to cover this part (as much as possible), then this issue is solved.

Anyway, attached, there's a video showing the "physical" aspect of rebuildable buildings (it was tested in my stripped down version of my mod if you wonder what's with the weird menu). Its just a simple show-off I've made, so nothing quite spectacular.

Demo Video below!

RebuildableStuff.wmv

<h3>Iceland (not the frozen food shop or that place up north)</h3>

dtrngd has made two nice new WIP shots of Iceland for your enjoyment.

45_2.png

45_1.png

<h3>Unwrap Attack!</h3>

Chevy787 has completed unwrapping the IFV's apart from the sniper (it needs remodelling).

ifvunwrapfr4.jpg

<h3>Bluehell Productions T-Shirts</h3>

Aidoneus has proposed the idea of Bluehell Productions T-Shirts, featuring both the Bluehell Productions logo, along with that of one of the projects (Apocalypse/A Path Beyond). However, this does need substantial interest to happen; at the moment he is likely to do it, but the more people who register their interest, the cheaper it will be for all involved. If you want to get a piece of collectable memorablia for your favourite mods, and simultainiously spread the word, then head on over to this thread, and show your interest!

<h3>Team Updates</h3>

I recently got engaged to TagDaze! :wub: (just kidding, but he is great around the house and he is the solution to the problem that is door to door salesmen)

Me and cfehunter came back from camping! Food and drink was plentiful and we toasted marshmallows whilst quoting various flash cartoons from http://www.newgrounds.com

My college friend Dave (DJS5590 on the forums), has started to have a go at the allied drill texture for us as a trial to see whether or not he can texture well or not. Lets hope that he can do the buisness for us :)

Files are coming soon from TheKGBspy, this will push us forward a fair few months in development :D

Ric is learning photoshop! Expect sweet textures from him soon!

<h3>Teh Edn</h3>

Thats all for now, tune in next week for more coolstuff :)

Guest Aidoneus

Yeah, guys, when we made the rule about no "First Posts", we really meant it.

I mean come on guys, it really isn't that important. I hope I don't have to delete anything from this subforum regarding to the First Post Rule in the future. Thanks.

Guest EVA-251

Amazing.

Ore Refinery looks very good, and the concept behind rebuildable buildings is awesome. So, would this mean you guys are going to try to remake the RA2 buildups?

Nice Refinery you got there. But i wonder, will you have to destroy all of the stages of the building before it goes down?, can't it be made so that when the health bar goes down to yellow/red the building starts to crumble?

Guest lucibrium

Nice Refinery you got there. But i wonder, will you have to destroy all of the stages of the building before it goes down?, can't it be made so that when the health bar goes down to yellow/red the building starts to crumble?

Possibly, but with keeping Renegade-styled gameplay, nope.

In Renegade, buildings never really sustain physical damage, and instead completely internal. Perhaps hitting the outside hurts the computer's system; the technology of the time could have the entire structure a huge computer. Thats why they used MCTs--places where an engineer/hotwire/technician could repair the structure with a repair beam, something completely computer based. Watching it crumble, then be brought back from repairs at a terminal seem a bit weird. Imagine sieging a building, it being almost gone... then someone engies it, and it springs back to full health. Its just not possible until MCTs are KTTC..

Guest cuddling

Nice blog, and i watched that live feed from mero for the Ore Refinery...

DID YOU ATTACH THE PIPES PROPERLY!? D:<

*lols*

Im just more concerned about the rebuildable stuff. It might break the gameplay as bases become way too difficult to destroy.

The real problem with the guys that are inside it is : What happens if they spawn inside the building when it plays its build-up anim ? They would surely be blue-helled and/or killed by the building's anim. Also, at the beginning of the game, all buildings that'll behave like this will start with the build-up anim. So, the problem here would be : "Where to put the spawners ?" I think scattering them inside the base would be the best way in keeping things balanced.

Also, thanks guys for all of your appreciation !

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

nice blog, love the rebuildable buildings, but how is it going to be made so it isn't near impossible to win by base destruction?.

Also love the IFV's the second from the right is for Chrono legionnaire, right

Main base buildings wont build up from nothing, the main part of the building will be more or less intact and kind of like the renegade destroyed buildings. But the outside parts that arnt used in the internals at all will be very badly damaged.

And in normal mode you will only be able to rebuild minor base defences.

Main base buildings wont build up from nothing, the main part of the building will be more or less intact and kind of like the renegade destroyed buildings. But the outside parts that arnt used in the internals at all will be very badly damaged.

And in normal mode you will only be able to rebuild minor base defences.

We could introduce fully rebuildable buildings on maps with Construction yards though, to vary the gameplay a bit. That would slap a big "destroy me first" sticker on the construction yard which is basically how every C&C Game rolled, particularly RA2. Without the conyard, the ability to rebuild is lost.

Yea, but there are problems with implementing any other real way of doing it.

Not really. We could have multiple weakpoints in one building if we wanted to and they don't have to be MCTs.

Guest Srowell3

nice one. Rebuild able buildings will be weird though. Like destroying the War Factory and finding that its up again! lol. Yea the internals look gr8 and the new map looks good! The ifvs should be fun

Lol another nice one guys, cool vid aswell, lol nice one dtrngd one the map :) and the IFV'S look really good, shame about the sniper one =/ and the ore Ore Refinery... just amazing... keep it up mero :D

Another great blog guys.