Blog 73 (18/02/08)

Hi, this is the blog. However this text is distracting you again. Seriously why do you read this bit? :)

Coolstuff below!

<h3>New Screenshots</h3>

To kick off, the big news this week is that thanks to danpaul88, the Rhino Tank is now ingame along with the V3 Rocket Launcher rigged by nameme. I consider this to be a big milestone in the development of the mod, because now we can begin to balance the vehicles whilst other stuff is being worked upon. Now that we have a decent amount of vehicle ingame, focus will be shifted onto the buildings since our maps are desperately in need of them. Since we now have a decent amount of maps to roll around we can show off just about all of the camos in their natural environment, which is pretty cool.

Anyway, enough of me waffling on. Here are some screenies.

post-1542-1205709796.jpg

post-1542-1205762229.jpgScreenShot10.png

ScreenShot11.pngScreenShot12.png

As you can see, the Rhino Tank is a little small at the moment. This will be corrected so that it is big and bold, just like the soviets should be. It also drives like a marshmallow too. So, it needs to be weighed down a bit more to give it that heavy feeling when you are driving it. As if to say "I have a heavy tank, you guys are toast."

But not literally because you use bread for toast.

<h3>Dune Patrol</h3>

dtrngd has been working with TheBeerinator to make Dune Patrol look really nice with lots of awesome sandy desert textures. How would you guys like a few sandcastles put in the map for a laugh? anyway, this map is going to be really great as it takes place in a dynamic sandstorm (if we can get it working) so that there is a sandstorm randomly happening and subsiding as the battle unfolds. Since the map is fairly standard in a way, we aim to prove that a great gameplay experience can be made using even the most generic levels.

This one is going to be fast and fun so keep watching it in the future!

<h3>Changes and Jobs</h3>

• ini re-tooling
  • Rhino needs to be bigger *OR* Grizzly smaller
  • Floating poly on the V3 model
  • Rhino needs more aero drag / lower turning speed
  • V3 needs a bit more speed
  • V3 rocket needs a lot more speed
  • Look into tank shell explosions
  • Fire trail aggregate on V3 missile set more towards the back
  • Buff the Rhinos shell damage slightly
  • Gun hands need making
  • More things need unwrapping
  • Some nice cool secret stuff

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

Well, I've had a wierd day today. So I went to college and did some coursework as usual. After college I went to Pizza hut with some friends and ate a lot before walking back to college to help out during open evening. We were given vouchers to go and buy food with so I went off down to the college cafe and bought some stuff. (Mini eggs, refresher chew bar, tootie fruities, worcestershire sauce crisps and the all important cup o' tea). So I munched that down as well as my packed lunch that I had left. At the end of the evening (around 8:30pm) I walked off down the hill with my girlfriend. We hadn't gotten halfway down the hill when I was overcome by stomach pains. I managed to get down the hill to Morrisons supermarket to wait for a lift home but my stomach was really bad. It felt like my insides were trying to rip themselves out. I wasn't sick on anything so I was ok. I waited around for a while until it got really unbearable. I found out that KFC was open so I went into there and left them a nice present in their recently refurbished loos. (I'll say no more).

Right now I feel really really tired and I'm aching all over. But I'm not the type of guy that cancels stuff due to illness. So the blog goes on!

cfehunter passed his A+ exam and is now a qualified techy. Hand that man a gas welder or impact drill right now! :)

A very happy birthday to Chevy787 who has turned 15 today! Congrats man and good luck for the future!

<h3>OWA's Community Support Porta-Loo</h3>

300px-Porta_Potty_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

My Reborn mod is basically complete now, besides a few small bugs. Hooray! Now I have basically all the vehicles working correctly (Juggernaut rocks) and the weapons nearly setup completely. Login to irc.n00bstories.com and hop into the #rebornmod channel to try it out! Also, feel free to drop some suggestions my way if you have anything that you want to see in the mod. :D

<h3>Project of the Week</h3>

Ok this section is new, but not so new. It's basically a re-hash of "Blast from the Past" but encompasing all manner of cool projects from mods, to apps, to games etc. Cool eh?

The week we have Pong VB by cfehunter!

In the first 2 months of the first year of college, cfehunter had conquered visual basic, producing this, Pong VB! It was originally designed to be blockbreaker but was converted to Pong after a few design changes. It plays the same as normal pong but as you get a higher score, the faster the ball gets, so watch out!

Download this, extract it and run the executable to play this cool little game.

Pong_VB.rar

<h3>A tramp cries out in the night...</h3>

Blah.

In my defence, i made that pong game before i learnt how to use directX.

And before i learnt not to pick stupidly annoying music >_>

Since i've made a fully functioning zelda ripoff, that i'll post sometime.

Anyway enjoy the maps (the maps is not bad)

I love the V3s and Rhino tanks :D feels so like RA2 :p

That map just keeps on getting more and more epic!!!!

Ben your over doing yourself again!

Happy Birthday Chevy!!! Have a great one!

Lol@game

Another great blogs guys! Keep it up!!!

Guest Glaedr

That road looks very good!

My Reborn mod is basically complete now, besides a few small bugs. Hooray! Now I have basically all the vehicles working correctly (Juggernaut rocks) and the weapons nearly setup completely. Login to irc.n00bstories.com and hop into the #rebornmod channel to try it out! Also, feel free to drop some suggestions my way if you have anything that you want to see in the mod. :D

Mod is awesome. you need to make a texture for the you-know-what behind the War Factory on that map. and the hover mlrs kinda dont move... and the juggernaut needs to be better able to push stuff out of the way, but everything else looks great.

And its a Porta-Potty.

Edited by Glaedr

Guest Xiphias6

"Hi, this is the blog. However this text is distracting you again. Seriously why do you read this bit?"

Hmm...well, it IS the start of this amazing blog, and who knows there might be something hidden on top :p (Actually I'm boredandIneedtoreadstuff :p)

Sweet V3s and Rhinos! But the V3 rocket's nozzle/exhaust "pipe" looks...strange. Too long methinks?

Do take care of yourself, guess KFC's gonna have to disinfect their toilet, again :p

Porta-loo :p

Edited by Xiphias6

Right now I feel really really tired and I'm aching all over. But I'm not the type of guy that cancels stuff due to illness. So the blog goes on!

The other reason the blog goes on of course is that I threatened to make a crappy blog in OWA's place :D

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

The other reason the blog goes on of course is that I threatened to make a crappy blog in OWA's place :D

LOL

anyway nice blog, and nice textures there beer, and I have already downloaded the pong am so gonna try it

Guest Kakashi

Maybe you should consider making the Grizzly smaller. The tanks seemed pretty big ingames, but I guess it'd look better in comparison to the other tanks if they actually were a little "short" (smaller Rhino driving alongside an Apoc or V3 of nearly double the size, now that'd look impressive).

Problem is that I haven't seen any pictures comparing the Grizzly, Rhino, Apoc and V3 right next to each other, it'd be interesting to see how the scaling is right now.

Guest DoMoNiC_HuNtEr

Problem is that I haven't seen any pictures comparing the Grizzly, Rhino, Apoc and V3 right next to each other, it'd be interesting to see how the scaling is right now.

Ah, yes indeed, it would be interesting to see - I'd be cool if the AR team took a shot from a first person perspective.

BTW, could you add BLOOOOD into this mod, please-BLOOOD&GOOOREE!!! :):D Same goes for APB.

Edited by DoMoNiC_HuNtEr

Guest r34ch

Yea the gore in RA1 was what hooked me (sounds sick, but bare with me)

Seeing an infantry man walk up to a Tesla coil and get zapped was unbelievable. The man was lifted into the air, limbs flailing, and then fell to a burnt and crumpled heap on the ground.

The Flame tower saw infantry go up in huge balls of fire before turning into a pile of dust

The turret sent men flying into the air when killed

And the pillbox ripped men to shreds before they fell in a pool of their own blood.

Not to mention the squish sound of soldiers when a tank ran over them

In fact APB really lacks this, usually i don't care for blood, but seeing a little man getting fried like that at the age of 7 had a huge impact on me... :D

Guest Srowell3

epic... the v3 looks well nice. keep it up guys and just for anyone who is interested i will be releasing the RA lism pack sometime this week! im working on it now! :D

Guest Chad1233

My high score on pong was 105 lol though i let the last ball down, anyways the v3 and rhino tank is looking very nice ingame! Cant wait too pwnt people ingame with em. ^^l

Sandcastles on Dune Patrol would be nice :) Make em crushable so we vould run them over with our marshmallow rhinos :D

Hehe, you guys aren't going to be getting the marshmallow variety as we are strapping a ton of weight to it.

Guest player1

Great Blog!

Anyhow I'm pretty sure the Rhino was larger than the Grizzly in RA2. The Grizzly was smaller and more versatile, so it could basically get micro'd against an army of rhinos.

LOL Beer bud I never knew you could texture so good :p Keep up the good work.

Also V3 model is dam secksi, props on it.

Guest Xiphias6

Hmm...perhaps someone'll post an in-game :p You know OWA, when RA2's installation screens, there are "technical details" of the Grizzly, Tank Destroyer, Prism, Rhino, Mirage, Kirov (lol), Typhoon, AmpTrans (wtf?), V3, Drone and others...not using them as a concept? :p