Blog 125 (19/03/09)

Welcome to this weeks blog! We've got some neat new content, so check it out below!

<h3>Ivan's Lighter</h3>

Ivan's going to need some fire to light his boomsticks with, so Guy with a wrench has provided the answer by completing the texture for the lighter. This lighter will be used in the animation for when Ivan pulls out a new stick of dynamite. He'll light it and the fuse will begin to spark. I think it's a nice little touch that you guys will be able to appretiate :D

Anyway, here's a render.

Lighter-1.png

<h3>Allied Power Plant Redux</h3>

dtrngd has been preparing the allied power plant for internal modelling, as the old model wasn't made with weakpoints in mind, as well as not being perfectly aligned. The exterior is nearly completed and there is a good idea for weakpoints circling around.

There will probably be three cooling turbines in the power plant to serve as the minor weakpoints. If all three are destroyed, then the power plant will shut down. However, you can repair these to bring the power plant back online.

"But why destroy them in the first place?" you may ask. Well, these turbines should be rather weak, so if you want to take the power to the base defences out quickly before a tank rush or something, then you can sneak in and cause some havoc.

Further down will be the main power core, which will take out the building for good if destroyed. This will be significantly tougher though.

Here is a render of the new exterior with a scaling box to show you how big it is compared to a basic infantry character.

allpp_exterior21-1.png

<h3>Soviet Refinery Internals Update</h3>

Ric has gotten back to work on the soviet refinery and has added in some walkways into the basement to spice up infantry combat. The soviet refinery is turning out great and should be even better when some more props and routes are added in. We are aiming for functional looking buildings, so the conveyer belts will be carrying ore as you walk around the refinery and the furnaces will be refining it when it's passed in.

Take a look at these renders.

sovietref12-1.jpgsovietref11-1.jpg

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I have 2-3 more weeks at university then I'm heading home for summer break (yes it stretches from April til September). I'm also working on the new grizzly tank, which is turning out nicely. Finally, I unwrapped my first model today, so this newfound skill will hopefully boost production!

cfehunter has been looking for something to texture.

dtrngd has been consulting with me and the team about the new allied power plant. Keep watching this space, as I have a feeling that it's gonna turn out ace.

TheBeerinator has been doing various things, one of which being giving me some helpful advice which helped my unwrap.

Soviet Deso said to me today that he'd texture/render up some high quality faction logos if he had the models, so we're gonna get those modelled up.

Old team member AxelSnog rolled up to say hello!

Poggel suffered a computer crash but he's a smart guy, so his data was backed up.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Guess what I had for dinner today?

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>End</h3>

Until next week eh?

Guest Gurgle

Great blog. The lighter looks 100% Soviet, the PP is VERY detailed, the Refinery interior design is brilliant.

The bomb symbol on Ivan's lighter reminds me of Microsoft Word :D

The lighter does look awesome!

At last we can get some cool looking Allied powerplant internals lol

The Ore Refinery internals are looking great!

Its abit odd eating pizza for breakfast (and last night) and watching that video lol

Another great blog guys, keep it up!

Guest Xiphias6

So do we see a constant stream of ore even when the Chrono Miner's not dumping...or does the stream come every time it dumps...or does the animation play out in sync with CMIN's timely dumprival? :D

So do we see a constant stream of ore even when the Chrono Miner's not dumping...or does the stream come every time it dumps...or does the animation play out in sync with CMIN's timely dumprival? :D

Remember in RA2 the ore was constantly flowing, like the spice.

Guest NODnuke45

<h3>Allied Power Plant Redux</h3>

dtrngd has been preparing the allied power plant for internal modelling, as the old model wasn't made with weakpoints in mind, as well as not being perfectly aligned. The exterior is nearly completed and there is a good idea for weakpoints circling around.

There will probably be three cooling turbines in the power plant to serve as the minor weakpoints. If all three are destroyed, then the power plant will shut down. However, you can repair these to bring the power plant back online.

"But why destroy them in the first place?" you may ask. Well, these turbines should be rather weak, so if you want to take the power to the base defences out quickly before a tank rush or something, then you can sneak in and cause some havoc.

Further down will be the main power core, which will take out the building for good if destroyed. This will be significantly tougher though.

dude thats gonna b awesome, i wudve done the EXACT same thing, well i only thought of the main power core, and it being a turbine. lol :D but yes im new :) and i hope u keep going on this mod till its totally done, cus its EXACTLY how i pictured an FPS version of RA2 wud b, i hope u add yuris revenge 2 thatd b so cool, me and my friends are always playing RA2 YR (me included lots of times). but ive only had FANTASIES of playing it with them in FPS :) ty for reading XP

Edited by NODnuke45

Guest rs4015

i bet that lighter has zippo made in the USA written on its base :p

looking forward to that pp

oh and that last video is just...i can't describe it sorry

Edited by rs4015

Guest Kakashi

You may have answered this one already, but how does it work with minor weakpoints and a CY in the base? Do the Weakpoints repair at all, or do you always have to repair them manually with a technie/engineer? If the CY repairs them, is there a delay so killing them on CY maps will stil have an effect?

Guest Xiphias6

You may have answered this one already, but how does it work with minor weakpoints and a CY in the base? Do the Weakpoints repair at all, or do you always have to repair them manually with a technie/engineer? If the CY repairs them, is there a delay so killing them on CY maps will stil have an effect?

I believe the CY repairs everything with the exception of itself. I am not in a position to confirm this, but it should or may not repair the weakpoints. Maybe they CY'll concentrate on repairing the whole of the structure instead of weakpoints, I don't know. :D

Guest Glaed

I would be willing to bet that the minor weakpoints, when destroyed, have to be repaired to full health before they work again, which means that you have at least a good few seconds before the CY brings them back online, if the CY reps them.

Guest Xiphias6

Something like the Nod SAMs in Renegay? Their health looks like zero but they won't "die" no matter how much you shoot at it, but can be repaired in AR...?

Something like the Nod SAMs in Renegay? Their health looks like zero but they won't "die" no matter how much you shoot at it, but can be repaired in AR...?

The shell of it yeah. Once the shell is repped to full hp and a bit more, the normal weakpoint should reappear with low health, then you can repair that back to full hp again.

Guest Rufrky

Pizza, Pizza, Pizza, Pizza. . . . :)

That was just to funny, Library really through me off. :)

Aw well, Looking good guys. Keep it up. :)

PIZZA FTW :D