Blog 127 (01/04/09)

Well, it's april the 1st and here's the blog!

<h3>Map Demo</h3>

dtrngd has whipped up a suprise for you guys in the form of a sneak preview of his map, dune patrol!

This map package will run in APB Beta, all you need to do is put it into your apathbeyond/data folder, run the game and start a lan server with the package enabled :)

Here it is!

<h3>Portable Flak Cannon</h3>

I was digging through my assets and came across this, a model for the portable flak cannon, modelled by a member of the (now defunct) RA2: Hell March team.

Flak troopers everywhere rejoice! You shall be downing those pesky harriers with this weapon.

FlakCannon-1.png

<h3>Power Plant Sizing</h3>

dtrngd has been working on the allied power plant interior. Not only that, he has also been scaling the buildings to their RA2 sizes so he can create the interior to scale.

This is good in the sense that we are sticking to what we've been given in RA2, right down to the scaling of structures in relation to each other.

Check it out! (Apologies for the jpeg compression).

sizing.JPG

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

Coursework deadlines again :\

cfehunter apologises for the harm he may have caused your computers earlier :D

EALA have constructed a new soviet weapon of doom! Check it out here!

Things have been going slowly this week.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

The joker is the fresh prince of gotham!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>That's it.</h3>

Until next week of course.

Guest Deadpikle

Haha, I know what the april first joke is without looking at it :3 I remember that from last year in the tester forums. Or something like that.

Scaling looks nice.

Guest ElectroBS

Bravo, still downloading the map. The building looks good, and I can't wait to help in taking down the harriers.

edit... for the map... I hate you :D

Edited by ElectroBS

Guest BaneOfSorrows

Is anyone seriously gonna try to download that map? I'm not downloading it, but I would like to know what exactly it is....

Scaling is very nice, and those pictures made me think of a question I don't remember ever being brought up. Will there be partially destructed models of structures that will activate at a certain HP level as in RA2?

Also, Mammoth Tank is lol. :D

OFF TOPIC EDIT: Ummm...is their any particular reason that the word "la.wl" (minus the period) is converted upon posting?

Edited by BaneOfSorrows

Guest baldy999

good job on wtfpwning everyones PC, but nice flak cannon :D

Also, lol at la.wl

Edited by baldy999

Guest Gurgle

Damn you! Wasted bandwith :D but well played.

I like the scaling of the buildings; the RA2: Hell March guys did a good job with the Cannon.

Nice blog, keep up the good work!

la:getprophet:wl

Edited by Gurgle

Guest Gurgle

(Sorry for double post, but this is just too awesome)

Dune Patrol is awesome, thanks dtrngd. Because you really are never going to give us up, or let us down.

Truly, we would not get this from any other guy.

Guest EVA-251

http://games.ea.com/cncmovies/redalert.html

Look at the "The Soviet Nuclear Missile is Launched" RA2 video.

Its one of the few renders of an Allied base, and I find the scale to be interesting.

Nonetheless, what we are seeing now is nothing less than spectacular. And that is one very nice Portable Flak Cannon. "This will be messy!"

@Dune Patrol- Interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Edited by EVA-251

Guest Glaed

Good stuff, can't wait to play the game.

Reusing old jokes are we? I ain't touching that map.

That RA3 thing is way too obvious. Gotta love this month though.

Edited by Glaed

Guest Deadpikle

I have found OWA's twin! :D

He suspiciously changed the BHP logo just slightly on the shirt and mimiked OWA's face somehow! :)

lolben2.jpg

april fool of course, thus why I posted in the blog for obvious april 1st date :v

Edited by Deadpikle

Guest MartinMb

I'm not sure if I should try the map, but thanks lol :D

The Hell March Team ? You mean President Kraboom, Ga3l, Trucidek and all this gang of weirdo ?

Guest Gurgle
The worst thing, with all of those "don't touch the map" comments I'm more nad more tempted to try it as well :p.
Try it! It's nice. There's palm trees and desert :>

Guest AdrwIvrsn

It looks a little empty without the buildings, but the map looks nice. It feels kinda weird to have a purchase terminal just floating like that, though.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I was also wondering, what kind of plant are you making the Allies' power plant? I always imagined it being either a nuclear, fossil fuel, or fusion power plant, but I'm curious of what you think it is.

(With my idea on it being nuclear, I just imagine that the Soviet reactor is just a really, really unconventional and controversial way of making nuclear power. However, RA2 is cartoony enough to claim nuclear fuel looks like green goo, so I'm guessing it's meant to be a fictional but regular reactor.)

I have found OWA's twin! :)

He suspiciously changed the BHP logo just slightly on the shirt and mimiked OWA's face somehow! :)

april fool of course, thus why I posted in the blog for obvious april 1st date :v

AMG!? :)

I'm not sure if I should try the map, but thanks lol :D

The Hell March Team ? You mean President Kraboom, Ga3l, Trucidek and all this gang of weirdo ?

Nope, Skulking_Ferrit, Soviet_Deso, Deafwasp and Waraddict.

I was also wondering, what kind of plant are you making the Allies' power plant? I always imagined it being either a nuclear, fossil fuel, or fusion power plant, but I'm curious of what you think it is.

(With my idea on it being nuclear, I just imagine that the Soviet reactor is just a really, really unconventional and controversial way of making nuclear power. However, RA2 is cartoony enough to claim nuclear fuel looks like green goo, so I'm guessing it's meant to be a fictional but regular reactor.)

It's a fusion plant.

Guest Gurgle

I don't know much about the topic, but I believe fusion (which is, uh, nuclear fusion) produces more power than a controlled fission reaction that the Soviet Nuclear Reactor would have. But in Red Alert 2, the Allied "Fusion" Power Plant produced way less power than the Soviet Nuclear Reactor.

So I don't think the Allied Power Plant is fusion, rather a traditional fossil fuel power plant.

Guest Kakashi

I always thought it was supposed to be a new form of solar powerplant (the weird dish on top somehow reminded me of some solar system concept I've seen before).

So I don't think the Allied Power Plant is fusion, rather a traditional fossil fuel power plant.

There is no smoke coming out of it anywhere. This is going to be a power plant gaining energy from the fusion power core, which works like this.

This is already better than the power plants used in Red Alert 1, and also produces more power than the tesla reactors, that the Soviets use. However, as it is still early in development, it can't produce more power than the Soviet's superior Nuclear Reactor just yet. And won't do either in the entire world of the awesome game called RA2 or it's FPS version, AR either :p

Guest Gurgle
Sigh... I had a look at that when writing my previous post, for reference, but I couldn't make much sense of it.

But yeah, there was no smoke coming out of the Plant in RA2.

Wait... a nuclear plant would generate steam, which would have to come out too. superphenixnuclearfastbqn3.jpg

Fusion

"Most design studies for fusion power plants involve using the fusion reactions to create heat, which is then used to operate a steam turbine, which drives generators to produce electricity. Except for the use of a thermonuclear heat source, this is similar to most coal-fired power stations and fission-driven nuclear power stations." It drives a steam turbine, like a fission plant (pictured above... I think).

But... who cares. The radiation effects are realistic in Red Alert 2.

rashot5.jpg

Edited by Gurgle

That's steam coming out of a nuclear powerplant, if it's smoke you should worry.

Fission works on the premise that radioactive rods heat water, create vast ammounts of steam, turn turbines, which turn magnets inside dense wire coils which generates an electrical charge.

Fusion works on the premise that when two atoms combine (this is true for anything larger than iron 56), they tend to combine into a single nucleus which is smaller in mass than the combination of the original pair, the excess mass is expelled as heat energy, which is then used to heat water, turn turbines..... you get the idea.

The thing about fusion is that the isotope used in most designs is a hydrogen isotope and they use lithium to pickup neutrons that fly off randomly....

Enough of the chemistry lesson, no released steam, go read a degree level chemistry book :D

Guest Stormweaver
Fission works on the premise that radioactive rods heat water, create vast ammounts of steam, turn turbines etc etc etc

It could be considered that said steam could go through a contained system, getting completely recondenced into water and recycled. On the other hand, when I first started playing APB, I used the smoke coming out of the ore refinarty and power plants as a way of finding the enemy base, so IMO AR should have at least one smoke/steam producing building. Just for teh people who don't know the maps :p

It could be considered that said steam could go through a contained system, getting completely recondenced into water and recycled. On the other hand, when I first started playing APB, I used the smoke coming out of the ore refinarty and power plants as a way of finding the enemy base, so IMO AR should have at least one smoke/steam producing building. Just for teh people who don't know the maps :p

We don't create smoke just for the nubs. But the Refineries had some refining smoke/gas/whatever coming out of it in RA2, so that will appear here too.