Blog 157 (04/11/09)

Oh gawd it's November already. Where the hell did this year go to?

Anyway, to the blog!

<h3>War Miner Animations</h3>

I've been playing around with some random animations on the War Miner. In particular the dump animation and some of the other, smaller details.

See for yourself in this brief animation.

<h3>Radar Tower</h3>

dtrngd has been working on the exterior to the Soviet Radar Tower and has succeeded in completing it to RA2-spec. The Radar will house controls for the spyplane, more terror drone consoles and the radar function itself. Also, the Radar maintains the tech level for units that come with the radar. If the Radar is taken out, no V3's or Crazy Ivan's for you. We may bend the rules for the Flak Trooper's tech level, since he is kind of needed to combat Rocketeers.

Here's an image of the exterior.

sov_radar-1.png

<h3>Building Bridges To Nowhere</h3>

rm5248 has textured up his bridge which will be available as a placeable object within leveledit, making the deployment of assets easier when mapping. (Think Unreal Tournament 3's library of static meshes). There will be more assets to come in the future including several bridge types, garrisonable structures (placed in Level Edit, yes!) and other random objects.

Look forward to this mappers!

bridge5.jpg

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've got a facial modelling assignment to hand in this week. I'm also off to see Muse next week. It's gonna rock! :D

I haven't seen cfehunter this week.

dtrngd is taking a break, since he has a lot of stuff happening which he needs to do.

danpaul88 is gearing up AR for the next alpha.

Poggel has pretty much finished the Tokarev.

The rest of the team are working on various things.

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

We are looking for extra staff members to join our ranks!

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>2d Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in a 2d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the foreseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competent at creating their own 2d textures.
  • is over the age of 16 (we overlook this if you are what we assess to be a mature individual. This rule is known as the TruYuri rule).

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures, if you have any.

(By the way, thanks to everyone who applied to be a tester, we are sorting through the applications now!)

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Lamb Of God - Set To Fail (Smooth Jazz Version)

<center><embed src="http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/flvplayer.swf" FlashVars="config=http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/flvembed.php?viewkey=c0795d1e6a4f58444d39" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="450" height="370" loop="false" align="middle" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" scale="exactfit"></embed></center>

<h3>The Cake...</h3>

...is a pie? :)

Guest BigCheese256

Nice blog, like the Radar Tower and the War Miner rocks. :)

The Cake...

...is a pie? :)

Roflmao! :D

Edited by BigCheese256

Guest Occult13

You might want to explain why such bridges should be placed in LE and not in 3ds Max format? I'm sure it won't perfectly fit in most cases, and I feel like it could be more useful to place them on 3ds max. It'd grant the mapper the choice of modifying it, resize it, etc.

But the rest of the blog is neat :D That War miner rocks, and there's nothing more to say about dtrngd's work besides OSOME :v

You might want to explain why such bridges should be placed in LE and not in 3ds Max format?
Just guessing here, but having the settings in LE should make setting destroyable and rebuildable bridges easier.

Guest Occult13

Just guessing here, but having the settings in LE should make setting destroyable and rebuildable bridges easier.

Try to set up a bridge which might end up giving you graphical errors such as edges going out of certain parts of the mesh and stuff...

Plus, you can always export your modified bridge as a separated object and attach the scripts to it in LE. All you said just proves my point.

Guest ganein14

Try to set up a bridge which might end up giving you graphical errors such as edges going out of certain parts of the mesh and stuff...

Plus, you can always export your modified bridge as a separated object and attach the scripts to it in LE. All you said just proves my point.

Your speak makes my brain sad :D

The current plan for the bridge is to have segments that you can mix and match to make a bridge of any length that you want. The bridge shown there has a seamless texture, so you can put multiple parts together to make a longer bridge of any length. I haven't made endpieces for it yet, but those will probably be of differing lengths to help ease placement. :D

It's possible to also simply make it as a proxy in 3DS MAX, and then LE will automatically add it.

Guest Occult13

Your speak makes my brain sad :)

Sorry Shakespeare,

Pero soy Español. No soy un Cervantes tampoco en mi lengua, pero creo que puedes entenderme.

Right? :D

Edited by Occult13

Guest ganein14

Sorry Shakespeare,

Pero soy Español. No soy un Cervantes tampoco en mi lengua, pero creo que puedes entenderme.

*Slams head down on desk due to too much advanced text and drools*

Guest tfkillzone

Sorry Shakespeare,

puedo entenderte occult! lol random i know. on-topic, you guys are really moving fast through all this!

Guest Stormweaver

lol, seems like l was only person who saw hidden picture in blog :D

not really, it was really obvious :| people don't make issues about the easy ones.

Still like the blog though. Also, glad to hear that the idea of having terror drone consoles in the radar tower and the War Factory has gone through :)