Blog 169 (18/01/10)

Hey guys, welcome to this slightly-later-than-usual blog. I've held it back in anticipation for awesome stuff.

<h3>Soviet Walls Destruction Animations</h3>

You think the APB guys are the only people who can do wall destructions? Think again!

Occult13 has had a little help from cuddling to produce these soviet wall destruction animations in 3ds max's Reactor engine! Allies on a good vehicle rush will hopefully see lots of this animation when the walls are destroyed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thanks to Deadpikle for the uploads :D

Note: The weird squares on top of the wall section will be getting a barbed wire texture, as pictured in the renders below.

walls1-1.pngwalls2-1.png

<h3>FN Minimi Para Textured</h3>

Guy with a wrench is applying the finishing touches to the FN Minimi Para, the weapon that most conscripts will learn to fear. The Gi's Heavy Machine Gun is only usable when deployed, this provides them with a firepower bonus when stationary, but it leaves them a little more vulnerable because they are stationary.

This weapon is likely to be used in defence rather than attack, but then again, using the bigger weapon will get you a firepower bonus against bigger targets, such as structures.

parasaw1-1.jpgparasaw2-1.jpg

Dakka dakka dakka!

<h3>The GI Can Carry Loads!</h3>

Here is a nice screenshot of the GI's new sandbag wall. Now we're getting new content into game fairly quickly and things are coming together pretty well. I need to get a shift on with those infantry. rest assured though, I am working on it.

bagsgame-1.png

The GI is always called out when Britain floods.

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm working on some nifty concept art for a new AR character.

cfehunter has disappeared off of the radar again.

dtrngd likes meetings.

danpaul88 has lots of work.

Occult13's real name is Antonio Handsome.

ChAoS, TeamWolf, dtrngd and I have been discussing some cool ideas for a few things.

The rest of the team has been postin'.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

TIGHTEN UP THE GRAPHICS ON LEVEL THREE, THEN ONTO THE NEXT GAME!

<embed src="

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/player.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="pageurl=http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/20288/&file=http://media.ebaumsworld.com/videos/2007/05/1178055713-81-video_game_commercial.wmv.flv&mediaid=20288&title=Tighten up the graphics&tags=finished,game,finished,the,yet,and,level,guys,one,that,graphics,three,just,just,hey,need,need,another,testing&description=That one Westwood commercial&displayheight=325&backcolor=0x0d0d0d&lightoclor=0x336699&frontcolor=0xcccccc&image=http://media.ebaumsworld.com/thumbs/2007/05/20288-1178055713-81-video_game_commercial.wmv/0000000.jpg&username=Spike_Lee" wmode="transparent" loop="false" menu="false" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="425" height="345" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Note: This is NOT how you design games.

<h3>And?</h3>

That's all folks, seeya next week for OWA's happy hour! :)

FN Minimi......can't wait to start mowing down conscripts :D

Incredible job, AR team.

Any hint of who the new character will be?

Edited by TSAR1

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Heavy Machine Gun

dsm'flkjawe'irjwae'ij WTF DAT IZ WRONG jyt7p :D sdjf;lisd IZ LITE hvoie!!!!!!!!!1!!11

Great job with the texturing. I can't wait to wield it while driving sandbags. :)

Also, I love the wall destruction animation. Especially how the black top of the corner piece does a whirl as it falls.

Guest NX01class

Something I just thought off. Will the GI be able to deploy ONLY outside a building? It would seem unfair if they could deply inside a building to destroy it.

Guest thepcman

The sandbags when the GI is crouched will make him Almost impossible to kill unless you have radius of effect weapons.

Wouldn't the Flack trooper throw the little flack balls over the wall? Or use a Kirov :D

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Well, you really don't have any evidence for the Para Minimi other than the rules.ini. Otherwise, it has never really appeared in-game or in concept art. However, I'll be fine with the Para, but since its only a light machine gun, I suggest that if we have time to model extra weapons, the elite GI should get the M240 medium machine gun.

Also Pelikan, the Para Minimi in a sense IS the M249 SAW, because it is a shortened varient for paratroopers and maybe special forces. If you already knew that, they still have the same rate of fire.

Guest Stormweaver

Kirov inside buildings FTW!

screw that. The main reason I'm rather glad most of the 'weak points' within buildings are below ground is so soviets can't defend their buildings with kirovs :s

Guest BigCheese256

Wow. I really like the idea of deployed and crouched GIs being unkillable unless using AOE weapons. :)

Being able to take out ze nais, textured walls will be awesome. :D

Guest thepcman

Kirov inside buildings FTW!

I honestly think Kirovs will be OPed... Even outside buildings...I mean... the allies have no "SuperAA"and I ahve to use like 20IFVs to take down a kirov in RA2... so umm... Unless all the allied players get IFVs... or the map has 99999999999999 Patriot missiles.....

EDIT: :D FREEZE THE KIROV WITH THE CHRONO LEGIONNARE! (if it can attack air, that is)

Edited by thepcman

Guest Pelikan132

I suggest that if we have time to model extra weapons, the elite GI should get the M240 medium machine gun.

Yeah, and we could (at least for the veterans) give M60 to lesser ranks. It is just a weaker version of M240, it has smaller fire rate, muzzle velocity and effective range... and its ammo is compatible to M240 :)

EDIT: :D FREEZE THE KIROV WITH THE CHRONO LEGIONNARE! (if it can attack air, that is)

I was reasoning the staff to get the legionnare in the game, but i have not succeded... Changed your mind? :)

And is there still a problem with the grizzly tank, when a soldier cant cover behind the tanks between the belts? :)

Guest BigCheese256

I honestly think Kirovs will be OPed... Even outside buildings...I mean... the allies have no "SuperAA"and I ahve to use like 20IFVs to take down a kirov in RA2... so umm... Unless all the allied players get IFVs... or the map has 99999999999999 Patriot missiles.....

For Red Alert 2 this is true. Obviously the Kirov will not be OP in AR. It will be nerfed from RA2 to the point where it becomes balanced, much like the APB V2 Launcher.

I was reasoning the staff to get the legionnare in the game, but i have not succeded... Changed your mind? :D

And is there still a problem with the grizzly tank, when a soldier cant cover behind the tanks between the belts? :)

The Chrono Legionnaire was planned from the start, so I don't know what you're on about. :)

Guest thepcman

For Red Alert 2 this is true. Obviously the Kirov will not be OP in AR. It will be nerfed from RA2 to the point where it becomes balanced, much like the APB V2 Launcher.

Hmm... In this test video, it had 2000HP/2000Armor!! OMG!!

Picture3.jpg

Guest Pelikan132

The Chrono Legionnaire was planned from the start, so I don't know what you're on about. :)

You told me something else before :D

You have Mac? :)

And the grizzly? How is he? :)

You told me something else before :D

You have Mac? :)

And the grizzly? How is he? :)

I'm pretty sure I didn't.

I don't have a mac; that's a screenshot of thepcman watching a video I made on youtube.

Grizzly is ingame, check a few blogs back.