Blog 170 (05/02/10)

Welcome to this week's blog. We've not got much this time. But I'll see what I can find.

<h3>Website Updates</h3>

Over the course of the next month or two I'm going to start updating the website with some new content relevant to AR. This has started with the inclusion of a new website banner.

I shall be adding in unit and structure profiles along with new information about AR that you won't get anywhere else. Look for this in the coming months.

Site-1.png

<h3>Conscript Update</h3>

I've been continuing modelling work on the conscript. I've now decided the selectable variants that we'll be using in AR.

You'll be able to pick from 3 different models. One without any headgear at all, one with a classic-style gas mask (as scene in the RA2 and it's FMV's) and finally a more modern gas masked version. Below is an image of the more modern gas mask on the conscript.

modernmask-1.png

<h3>Breakdancing</h3>

We were doing some ingame testing the other day and I got killed whilst in the soviet base. Just as I died, BigCheese256 took this screenshot. It looks a bit like my GI is breakdancing, so I thought I'd share this funny with you guys.

lolfail-1.jpg

Lolwut!?

<h3>Engineers and Terror Drones</h3>

To put it bluntly, we want to know if you want engineers to have the ability to re-wire dead robot tanks and terror drones if they are left inactive on the field.

Since we want engineers to play a bigger role on the battlefield, I've come up with the idea of allowing engineers to use their pliers to re-wire robotic units so they can be remotely controlled by the opposite team. This means you'll be able to effectively steal robot tanks and terror drones if they become inactive on the field.

Tell us what you think about this.

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm going away this weekend, but I should be back on sunday.

cfehunter is bogged down with coursework.

So is danpaul88.

dtrngd has resumed work on the IFV.

Guy with a wrench has nearly finished the texture on the FN Minimi Para

The rest of the team has been posting in secret places.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Chewbacca is trapped!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Alrighty</h3>

I'll see you guys next week. Hopefully I'll have a bit more to show.

Guest thepcman

No videos? :D

To put it bluntly, we want to know if you want engineers to have the ability to re-wire dead robot tanks and terror drones if they are left inactive on the field.

Since we want engineers to play a bigger role on the battlefield, I've come up with the idea of allowing engineers to use their pliers to re-wire robotic units so they can be remotely controlled by the opposite team. This means you'll be able to effectively steal robot tanks and terror drones if they become inactive on the field.

Hmm.. I think yes

Apologies never needed, a blog is always welcome.

Nice conscript head - wait, so which one of the 3 models is going to be the default uniform?

Engineers taking over powered down units would be kinda-cool, but also Renegay :<

Guest Pelikan132

I think about the engys that we could have finally at least one reason to change into engy in-game, until that i dont like him, he cant fight ana i am not much of a repairer (except Section 8 :) )

I like the older mask a lot better... :D

Yay! just got the Command and Conquer: First decade edition!! :)

Edited by Pelikan132

You'll be able to pick from 3 different models. One without any headgear at all, one with a classic-style gas mask (as scene in the RA2 and it's FMV's) and finally a more modern gas masked version. Below is an image of the more modern gas mask on the conscript.

Wasn't the system picking one of the available variations automatically?

Why would we need Robot Tanks if there is no Yuri?

There will be a buyable Yuri infantry for the Soviets, but otherwise because it can attack sea targets!

Also because if your Robot Tank dies, your character can't be killed in the same battle, since you are controlling the RT remotely from the RCC.

Guest Apache92

well... at first these two blogs are both nice guys. I was waiting for them so much :):) . But well... about engeneers capturing enemy drones and robot-tanks... it must be quite cool) so... YES :D

Guest theta123

This is a great idea. It really adds more value to the engineer. And who doesnt wanna be a soviet, and drive a robo-tank, or be an allied, and use that terror drone on a apocalypse :D:)

Guest Allie29

The engineer idea sounds good to me, there needs to be a punishment for abandoning your vehicle out there, and just self destructing it wouldn't be very good. Plus it's a bonus for infiltrating the Robot Control Center/Radar Dome and shooting those at the terminals (assuming you aren't going to teleport them out to somewhere safe.)

The engineer idea sounds good to me, there needs to be a punishment for abandoning your vehicle out there, and just self destructing it wouldn't be very good. Plus it's a bonus for infiltrating the Air Force Command and shooting those at the terminals (assuming you aren't going to teleport them out to somewhere safe.)

^ this

Guest BigCheese256

We were doing some ingame testing the other day and I got killed whilst in the soviet base. Just as I died, BigCheese256 took this screenshot. It looks a bit like my GI is breakdancing, so I thought I'd share this funny with you guys.

lolfail-1.jpg

Lolwut!?

That was awesome timing with that screenshot. Also as OWA put it, "One Winged Angel has one too many on a night out." :D

I like the idea of the Engineer being more useful. Having loads of empty Drones in the field would suck, and having them self-destruct would be too original. I say keep this idea.

Guest HYBRID BEING

Lol'd at video and breakdance.

I also like the idea of re-wiring unmaned vehicles, but it has just one technical flaw - controls. As i remember we have Terror Drone's controls in War Factory and Radar (though TD originaly could operate even if no buildings were left), and Robot Tank's in Robot Control Center. There will be no way to disable Tanks re-wired by Soviets, and TDs would shut down when RCC would be destroyed.

Guest sting2death

Lol'd at video and breakdance.

I also like the idea of re-wiring unmaned vehicles, but it has just one technical flaw - controls. As i remember we have Terror Drone's controls in War Factory and Radar (though TD originaly could operate even if no buildings were left), and Robot Tank's in Robot Control Center. There will be no way to disable Tanks re-wired by Soviets, and TDs would shut down when RCC would be destroyed.

No it doesn't sound too technically challenging , Robo Tanks can be controlled the same way Terror Drones can once rewired ie TDs in the Allied Robot Control Center and RoboTanks in the soviet War Factory and Radar .

Ok by RAlism TDs can work without a Controlling building and Robo Tanks vise versa , But seeing as in this FPS version some compensations have to be made .

Guest HYBRID BEING

No it doesn't sound too technically challenging , Robo Tanks can be controlled the same way Terror Drones can once rewired ie TDs in the Allied Robot Control Center and RoboTanks in the soviet War Factory and Radar .

Ok by RAlism TDs can work without a Controlling building and Robo Tanks vise versa , But seeing as in this FPS version some compensations have to be made .

Well that's true, but still soviets have an advantage, having a back-up controls if one building is to be destroyed, though only one allied building is needed to be destroyed to disable unmanned vehicles.

Guest sting2death

Well that's true, but still soviets have an advantage, having a back-up controls if one building is to be destroyed, though only one allied building is needed to be destroyed to disable unmanned vehicles.

Compensations. If soviets Lose the War Factory they wouldn't be able to build tanks in addition to not being able to control Robots from it , and They would lose Radar comm.s if the Radars is down in addition to that .

And note , some maps (Referencing to APB) may not have Radars so there would be one biulding to control them.

While Allied Robot Control Center would only loose .. Robot Control , nothing more.

Therefore I believe its balanced-ish , the soviets get an Extra kick in the balls if one of their Control centers Blow up , while the Allieds only lose one thing.

Guest HYBRID BEING

Compensations. If soviets Lose the War Factory they wouldn't be able to build tanks in addition to not being able to control Robots from it , and They would lose Radar comm.s if the Radars is down in addition to that .

And note , some maps (Referencing to APB) may not have Radars so there would be one biulding to control them.

While Allied Robot Control Center would only loose .. Robot Control , nothing more.

Therefore I believe its balanced-ish , the soviets get an Extra kick in the balls if one of their Control centers Blow up , while the Allieds only lose one thing.

And what about tech? ARCC is a higher tech building so on lower-tech maps (with Factories of course) allies won't have it, and won't be able to re-wire Drones. :D

Guest sting2death

And what about tech? ARCC is a higher tech building so on lower-tech maps (with Factories of course) allies won't have it, and won't be able to re-wire Drones. :D

Possible solutions :-

1. The soviets don't get to use Terror Drones either.

2. Rewired Terror Drowns could be operated from either Allied War Factory , or air force command (radar) but due to low tech lvl no Jets be allowed to be built.

3. Tough luck =P , Allieds wouldn't be able to use Re wired Terror drones , and would restore the cosmic Balance of RAlism , where Drones could not be taken by opposing teams.(which I'd like, I want pay back for my APB suffering where Allieds have Rockets , and soviets don't :) )

Robot Tanks and Terror Drones aren't mirrored units. The tech levels will stay the same.

Whether it will be balanced or not is up to us to find out.

Guest des1206

I'm still not too sure about the "bonus" of a remote controlled Robo-Tank. The point of having a driver is that you can still do damage after your tank blows up. Why would I want to attack with a Robot tank when I can buy a Guardian GI and drive a Grizzly?

Guest BigCheese256

Why would I want to attack with a Robot tank when I can buy a Guardian GI and drive a Grizzly?

Your infantry guy won't get killed, thus your K/D ratio will not be affected. So you can get kills without worrying about deaths. :D

I'm still not too sure about the "bonus" of a remote controlled Robo-Tank. The point of having a driver is that you can still do damage after your tank blows up. Why would I want to attack with a Robot tank when I can buy a Guardian GI and drive a Grizzly?

Robot tanks are amphibious.

Because the Robot Tank can attack sea targets as well, and if you fail with your vehicle rush, you won't get +1 death (as probably your driver infantry will die soon after your veh's gone)

Guest des1206

Your infantry guy won't get killed, thus your K/D ratio will not be affected. So you can get kills without worrying about deaths. :D

K/D ratios seldomly matter for most players as it won't win the game.

Robot tanks are amphibious.

That advantage will really be situational by map design. MAYBE you can catch the Soviets with their pants down by crossing the river, but if the tank's damage is even weaker than the Grizzlies good luck bringing down any buildings.

That advantage will really be situational by map design. MAYBE you can catch the Soviets with their pants down by crossing the river, but if the tank's damage is even weaker than the Grizzlies good luck bringing down any buildings.

Target Dreadnoughts or chase away the Sea Scorpions guarding them.

robot tanks were pretty awesome in RA2.

I'd say if this whole engie rewire takes place that the vehicle is controlled directly by the engie. you could say his suitcase holds a remote. and just have him despawn (fake way of entering the vehicle) and just have it die via the traditional way. I'm doubting to expect a 50 engie/TD/RT rush. so it's only ever going to be 1 or maybe 2 at a time if that.