Blog 186 (02/06/11)

couldnt you just simply make a small 1-10 meter zone above the ground that if a vehicle of this type goes in, it dies, and add a explosion to said vehicle when it dies? or does it sound like too much work for the mappers or am I missing something?

Guest Kakashi

That 1-10 meter zone would have to kinda have the same shape of the ground, or you won't be able to proplerly crash a plane i.e. into a hill. You could copy the ground plane, move the copied plane up by 10 meters and turn it invisible, but if my limited mapping expeirence is right this might not be a small and easy task... You also have to consider buildings that the plane could crash into, especially on city maps. You could have the plane clip through them, wouldn't be very good-ooking either though.

Edited by Kakashi

Guest ma1kel

I'm confused, why wouldn't spawning an object work, and attaching a script to it that creates the explosion at the position of the object if the object's Z-height stops changing? Or using an AI bot spawned with its model changed to the aircraft hull or set to be invisible and doing the explosion stuff when it takes fall damage?

Guest NSpgexp2012

how does a person falling be any different no matter the height that he falls from, you can follow his descent down to when he hits the ground. and it follows the contort of the land.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The squid looks awesome, when will the next blog be posted?

We're getting round to it, but a few of us have been busy as education begins again.

Guest KevinLancaster

I just realized the last blog post here was in May/June (says it was posted in May, title says June, what's up with that?). Oh well, more waiting.

OWA, did you try fooling around with the paint bucket to the right of the "View New Content" button? It lets you change some of the forum's colours, though most is still white. You need to be using the Elegant theme.

When AR is in a playable state, will you have open tests like the APB team is doing now? Seems like a lot of games get released in an unfinished state these days with updates over time (e.g. Minecraft, Project Zomboid, Natural Selection 2 (not really), Terraria(?)), though most have you pay first so it makes sense that users continually play since they expected something for their dollar.

Edited by KevinLancaster

Guest Kakashi

I am already glad the forum has a mobile theme now (or I just could not find it on the old forums). It is a lot better to read while on the train if you do not have to scroll and resize all the time ^^. Not to mention it uses a lot less bandwith.

I am already glad the forum has a mobile theme now (or I just could not find it on the old forums). It is a lot better to read while on the train if you do not have to scroll and resize all the time ^^. Not to mention it uses a lot less bandwith.

I Agree!

Guest Sonarpulse

Too bad the iOS app is just a custom browser for the mobile site with a rudimentary client-side auto login scheme. C'mon IPB

Edited by Sonarpulse

Guest Sonarpulse

a valid point. I was mainly ticked as it was the latest of a bunch of iOS programs I had seen that despite their claims were basically just crippled browsers. Back on topic I agree AR should do open testing too.

Guest Sonarpulse

To be honest, I've haven't had the time to try out any release candidate yet, but from what I have seen on the forums, no, I wouldn't like WIP balance. However, I don't blame the team, but rather the shitty dev tools that make rolling out releases a bitch. Conversely if TT were to improve the tools to the point where churning out releases is a piece of cake, I'd say scrap the “stable” release+server altogether. With the new Bugzilla, the teams got a lot to gain. Also I'll stand by my old opinion that once both games are stable enough, combine 'em into one. I don't mean make every map a batshit-crazy 4-way battle, but just rig up the engine for 4 teams, and rotate between RA1 and RA2 themed maps.The less servers the team has to pay for and administrate, and the less the fan base is divided, the better.

Guest KevinLancaster

Also I'll stand by my old opinion that once both games are stable enough, combine 'em into one. I don't mean make every map a batshit-crazy 4-way battle, but just rig up the engine for 4 teams, and rotate between RA1 and RA2 themed maps.The less servers the team has to pay for and administrate, and the less the fan base is divided, the better.

"Red Alert: An Apocalypse Beyond"?

When AR is in a playable state, will you have open tests like the APB team is doing now? Seems like a lot of games get released in an unfinished state these days with updates over time (e.g. Minecraft, Project Zomboid, Natural Selection 2 (not really), Terraria(?)), though most have you pay first so it makes sense that users continually play since they expected something for their dollar.

I'd like to do this when we are closer to a release. I think the art needs finishing before we do anything like that though.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd like to do this when we are closer to a release. I think the art needs finishing before we do anything like that though.

well to be fair its playable now :p just allies will get lost in their buildings with no textures

well to be fair its playable now :p just allies will get lost in their buildings with no textures

Wrong, there are no more white buildings left except for the allied service depot.