Texturing in Gimp

Shnappz

Hey,

So i was wondering if anyone can offer a quick answer to the following questions. I'm pretty good in Gimp and have been using it for a while for things unrelated to texturing. I was wondering though, if i've got a premade texture from a photograph or the web; whats the best way of applying that to a UVW Unwrap in Gimp. Would you make it into a pattern that you could then "paste" into the relvant model parts.

If anyone knows any good tutorials on texutring in gimp that would be great :D

lets take a tank for example:

if its a camo or dirt texture you have to make the besic texture first, means drawing the lines of the vehicle model patterns, scratches, colors etc. after you have done the basic texture you overlay(not transparency) the dirt/camo/pattern texture. thats how i do it.

on youtube you could search for a weapon texturing tutorial or a "overlaying" tutorial. thats how i learned it :D

Hey Ack,

Thanks for the information, it was an interesting read. The verdict on poly count seems to be that it *can* be used.

Tbh I don't have the cash to spend on photoshop at the moment or maybe ever, so I think I'm going to stick with Gimp for now.

I appreciate your advice and It just seems I may have to work harder for the same results.

Photoshop CS2 is free from what I remember.

The old CS stuff is all open license if I recall, I've been using the ancient CS2 version of Premier Pro for my video editing, and it's mostly alright. It hates high definition and anything other then .avi's though and there's very limited help online for it.