Can you settle something?

So basically, it should be an easy one to settle.

One of my friends is convinced that you can professionally texture a building with a UVW Map rather than properly unwrapping it. I personally think it's complete BS as there's no way you can add detail and it would just look complete crap...

What are your opinions here? Would you UVW Unwrap everything? Bar maybe very very simple structures.

Edited by Shnappz

If you are texturing simple walls or something then you can do it with the UVW Mapping modifier, although you don't get as much control compared to if you properly unwrap it.

Unwrapping is always better.

There is no simple answer for this issue. Buildings are large objects and will require a lot of texel density to look good compared to tiling terrain textures or anything else in the environment they're in. As a general rule, I avoid giving buildings their own per-face (AKA unwrapped) texture. A specific texture designed only for one building is generally a waste of texture memory. What you'd add in that texture could be done with a tiling texture when you cut up the geometry to match the texture. This is how textures for Tiberium are created right now:

thirding.jpg

This allows for higher texel density with lower texture memory being used at a cost of rendering more polygons. It's generally a better tradeoff to make.

That's good to know... Didn't even think of saving memory. Obviously if you can have multiple buildings use the same concrete it's better than giving them all their own unique one.

Thanks for the detailed responses. time for me to go have a slice of humble pie ;)