Windows 8.1 Zero Hour choppy gameplay issue

So..... I just installed a 100% fresh copy of Zero hour onto my new desktop. played vanilla for a bit, the scrolling was really choppy and laggy, and so was the gameplay. fixed the game, added the special windows 8 fix "Options.ini". Tried with ROTR, same issue, tried with "The End of Days". Same issue. I'm at a complete loss as to what i should do. my LAPTOP actually runs Generals and ZH smoothly, and a lot better than this desktop, yet this is my gaming pc with the NVIDIA 980 TI, while the Laptop had the NVIDIA 840M. (both are windows 8.1)

any suggestions as to what I should do?

If needed, I recorded a few minutes of gameplay with the TEoD mod, will upload if necessary.

Run the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 and try limiting your FPS to 30 via GenTool, that's all I can advise.

The game's engine is awful, and choppy gameplay is quite frequent in longer matches.

well the thing is, compared between my laptop and this desktop, ZH on the laptop runs on ultra at a smooth 60fps. On the desktop its like 20-30fps but its real choppy, even though the desktop has the superior specs.

oh and... uhh........ its from the ultimate collection on Origin.....

Edited by MPRA2

well the thing is, compared between my laptop and this desktop, ZH on the laptop runs on ultra at a smooth 60fps.

The SAGE engine is not supposed to run on more than 30 FPS. Anything higher than that speeds the game up because EALA couldn't grasp that FPS =/= game speed.

Doesn't quite matter in the case of Generals/Zero Hour, I think they're unchanged from the patched disc versions apart from the Origin integration and lack of parameter support (which you can fix by disabling Origin for all TUC games and applying Bibber's fixed launchers).

well the thing is, compared between my laptop and this desktop, ZH on the laptop runs on ultra at a smooth 60fps.

The SAGE engine is not supposed to run on more than 30 FPS. Anything higher than that speeds the game up because EALA couldn't grasp that FPS =/= game speed.

Doesn't quite matter in the case of Generals/Zero Hour, I think they're unchanged from the patched disc versions apart from the Origin integration and lack of parameter support (which you can fix by disabling Origin for all TUC games and applying Bibber's fixed launchers).

The launcher fix has been confirmed to contain viruses, so I dont use them.

Let me guess. You have the first antivirus that came in the Google search.

Bibber is a known C&C modder, he wouldn't put a virus in something like that, especially if that many people use it.

Let me guess. You have the first antivirus that came in the Google search.Bibber is a known C&C modder, he wouldn't put a virus in something like that, especially if that many people use it.

I had Norton, then Avast, then just used Windows Defender, finally went with Malwarebytes

Edited by MPRA2

I had Norton, then Avast, then just used Windows Defender, finally went with Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes is the only one from the list that isn't shit. And I just scanned the TUC launchers with it, and nothing was found. Even if it did, there is something called a false positive, that naive computer n00bs don't know about.

Easy bud, no need to steer the thread sour.

@MPRA2, I use malwarebytes personally and I tend to agree that its the best of that list. Try downloading the latest version and doing another scan for us eh? For teh lulz.

Easy bud, no need to steer the thread sour.

@MPRA2, I use malwarebytes personally and I tend to agree that its the best of that list. Try downloading the latest version and doing another scan for us eh? For teh lulz.

as for your posts above, I have no source or logs since it was on an older Windows 7 laptop that had a Hard Drive corruption while playing a mod for Forces of Corruption... lol.... Honestly, with my already $2,206 desktop, I'd rather not risk anything since I dont even have AV software installed as of yet. In the end its most likely the game not having any optimization for the 980 Ti, as it is a fairly recent, and high end card. Its strange that only Generals/ZH is having these problems, while C&C 3, RA2, TS, Renegade, and RA3 have absolutely no problem running.

Instead of playing Generals, I might just go try to find a bootleg of the 99.9% finished Tiberium game.... after I get my C&C shirts.

as for your posts above, I have no source or logs since it was on an older Windows 7 laptop that had a Hard Drive corruption while playing a mod for Forces of Corruption... lol....

Must have been a different, possibly long-standing problem. Making such correlations is a bit pointless - once, my brother's desktop account was borked after the PC overheated playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance and had to be revived using System Restore. The same desktop, but with a different GFX card and Windows installation was left in a semi-standby mode with Skype online years later, but none of that was the problem - the motherboard and power were derpy since day one.

Honestly, with my already $2,206 desktop, I'd rather not risk anything since I dont even have AV software installed as of yet.

You would not risk using a trusted community member's tool that simply works?

In the end its most likely the game not having any optimization for the 980 Ti, as it is a fairly recent, and high end card. Its strange that only Generals/ZH is having these problems, while C&C 3, RA2, TS, Renegade, and RA3 have absolutely no problem running.

As I said, the game's engine is shit. It doesn't matter if your computer is a $3 potato or a $1,000,000 beast, these slowdowns happen to many without warning or reason. We're also in a time where every single computer, even lower end ones, are more powerful than the recommended system requirements for C&C Generals.

I might just go try to find a bootleg of the 99.9% finished Tiberium game....

You mean TIBERIUM from 2008?

Redbubble.

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/command+conquer+t-shirts

Hopefully it isn't a scam, as some of them look badass. i'll make a topic on the forums and post pictures if they arrive.

None of them are official, so take them with a grain of salt :p

• 4 months later...

Alright, a quick update... might not work with ALL mods/versions of Zero Hour, but you need to go into the "Properties" of the entire C&C Generals folder, then click the folder's "Advanced" button in the "Attributes" section, then you need to uncheck; "allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties". It works with the TibDawn Redux mod to a point.... lots of units break my game.... because of the amazing AI scripts and pathfinding... its like having 36 ore trucks trying to go for an ore field on top of the KOTG Cliff instead of inside the crater.