Blog 124 (13/03/09)

Welcome to this week's blog. I was hoping that we'd have a podcast by this time, but due to some unfortunate circumstances that'll have to wait. Anyway, here's some presents from the union.

<h3>Sentry Gun Ingame</h3>

danpaul88 got the sentry gun rigged up ingame and it looks to be working great! However, rumour has it that the soviets have been extending their sentry gun project to rival the efforts of the french grand cannon.

These first images from behind enemy lines show the soviet's new sentry cannon being readied for combat use. (Not an actual structure in AR, but hey who knows what bonus missions we could cook up :D)

Images below!

sentry1-1.png

sentry2-1.jpgsentry3-1.jpg

sentry4-1.jpgsentry5-1.jpg

Model by me, textures by TheBeerinator!

<h3>Soviet Welder Bottles</h3>

I know that theta123 has been waiting for this one. Here are the propane bottles for the Soviet's Technician's welder. There are two bottles, one for oxygen and one for propane.

The texture is by cfehunter and according to him:

The smaller canister says:

"Soviet Propane <Soviet Logo>"

"Warning: Keep out of reach of allied pigs <Allied logo crossed out>"

The large canister says:

"Soviet Oxygen <Soviet Logo>"

"<Warning Sign> <Flammable Sign> Warning: Oxygen is really really really flammable"

And here is a render!

welderbottles-1.png

<h3>Soviet Barracks</h3>

dtrngd has gotten the Soviet Barracks into game as a test, all that is left to do is to fix a few mesh errors and ship it off to TheBeerinator for texturising.

Check it out!

ScreenShot28-1.pngScreenShot24-3.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been modelling various things among my university projects. These include remodelling the grizzly tank because the mesh had become rather disfigured.

cfehunter is wanting to texture things, so he may move onto the IFV.

dtrngd is sizing up the allied power plant for internal design.

danpaul88 is continuing his game implementation work by getting the assets that are completed into game.

TheBeerinator is waiting for the Soviet Barracks to be completed so that he can get and texture it.

Chevy787 is currently unwrapping various things. When easter comes, more time will be available for everyone to make advances.

Guy with a wrench has completed texturing Ivan's lighter. Look for that one in the next blog!

Poggel is continuing to make props.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Presenting the Daft Prince of Punk Air!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TEK9Fu55m4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TEK9Fu55m4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TEK9Fu55m4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>See you next week!</h3>

More developments will be there.

Guest theta123

Whoohoo!!Finnaly some news of the Soviet techie welder :D:):):):) ^^ :o

Gotta love the details.Altough the colors are a bit confusing..that doesnt matter though :o

Simply excellent :D

Outstanding blog!!

Guest theta123

What's wrong with my colours? :D

Its the oxygen tank :) with its red color. I thought they where white aswel, but might be diffrent on Propane-Oxygen cutting

Guest Gurgle
...or we could base it off from the RA2/YR installer screens.
Hey look, it's a brown Dreadnought! Hey, that Prism Tank has a mounted machine gun! Hey, a Howitzer! Or is that a Tank Destroyer w/ mounted MG?

Nice blog - Sentry Guns are still win; I can see the "No Allies" symbol on the propane! I'm really looking forward to the podcast.

A question: What purpose do the gas bottles serve? Are they going to be mounted on the Technician's back, like a flamethrower tank?

Guest Stormweaver

Exactly :D

Will techys blow up when you kill them? Suicide troops ftw >.<

AR is looking amazing, good job guys. Any work being done on the rocketeer yet?

Guest Gurgle

The APB technician has a small build and doesn't look very strong.

I imagined the AR technician would also be similar - and the idea of a puny techie hauling around a large and heavy flamer-style gas tank.

sflamer.png

:D

...or we could base it off from the RA2/YR installer screens.

The one on the installer screens is a Rhino Tank because westwood fucked up.

Guest BaneOfSorrows

The one on the installer screens is a Rhino Tank because westwood fucked up.

Then can we base the colors more on the in-game sprite? >_>

Guest EVA-251

Curiously, the Allies have 3 different color schemes that can be drawn straight from RA2-

You have the unit color and two different types of render colors, the yellowish scheme, which is used for Prism Tank and Mirage cameos and the pale-greenish scheme used for most other allied cameos.

Like how the Sentry Gun is turning out, I look forward to being shredded by them.

Oh, a few questions about the Sentry Gun- Will it cause Instant Death Syndrome like the Pillboxes of APB? (where not even units that in RA could withstand more than 1 pillbox attack die within 0.0000001 seconds in APB).

Will it fire continuously or a more RA2ish burst?

and when is Podcast being released? :D

Edited by EVA-251

Guest BaneOfSorrows

Sprites? That's for APB. You're talking about voxels and/or SHPs here...right? :D

Yeah sure. Those too. I'm not well versed in modelling/game-construction terms.

Oh, a few questions about the Sentry Gun- Will it cause Instant Death Syndrome like the Pillboxes of APB? (where not even units that in RA could withstand more than 1 pillbox attack die within 0.0000001 seconds in APB).

Will it fire continuously or a more RA2ish burst?

and when is Podcast being released? :D

It'll be deadly, just how deadly needs to be decided/balanced.

RA2-ish burst if we can.

Shit hit the fan again.