Blog 133 (20/05/09)

Welcome to this week's blog. we have some suprises this week, so look below and be suprised!

<h3>Allied Logo</h3>

Our good friend Soviet_Deso approached me on msn the other day and offered to model and texture some new logos for us. By logos I mean Allied and Soviet faction logos.

I agreed and the rest, as they say, is history. Check out this sweet piece of artwork below, courtesy of Deso.

AlliedLogo-2.jpg

<h3>New Stuff</h3>

Last week I showed you the old stuff, so this week I'm here to show you the new stuff!

Some of the higher tech units are likely to change, but the IFV and Grizzly Tank are nearly ready for unwrapping. Some polygon pushing here and there should do the trick.

Anyway, without further a do, here is the new stuff.

AlliedForcesNew-1.png

<h3>New Staff Member</h3>

After an overwhelming response for the PR job, Lord_Kane and I settled on three candidates. from those three candidates we decided further until we had a definite choice.

So, the new Apocalypse Rising PR guy is...

ChAoS was chosen because he has been supporting the mod since we were back at Blazemods, which makes him one of our longest supporting fans!

Congratulations ChAoS, here's to the good times ahead on the mod and working with the team!

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been working and celebrating this week. Also, I've been trying to mix Hell March up with Time Is Running Out by Muse. Once I get the marching right, it'll be epic.

I've also bought tickets for Download Festival at Donington Park; anyone going?

cfehunter is coming with me to cardiff next month hopefully.

dtrngd is fixing the Soviet War Factory exterior, after receiving plans and orders from me. This building is going to be really really epic, so stay tuned.

We'll be organising a conflab soon to sort out the team and what everyone else is doing.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Have some Edd's World.

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

Just a bit crazy.

<h3>Done...</h3>

...and dusted :D

Guest GummiBear

Grats ChAoS!

I totally knew you would be the new PR guy!

this^

Also AWESOME allied logo there, and nice new stuff too

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Congrats ChAoS!

The logo looks fantastic, it highly resembles but puts much of a unique twist to the original logo. I especially like the use of gold in it.

Also, those vehicles look much better than the previous models. However, I was wondering, even though you say that the Grizzly is ready for unwrapping, are you going to change it to be less rounded, or are you going to do that in the unwrapping? I think the recommendations we made in the blog before the last one might help on what it should look like, and reshaping it would be an easy task, such as angling most of the surfaces instead of rounding them, and lowering the band in the middle of the turret down.

I feel that it have a look that matches the mirage tank or prism tank in style.

Last, the Hell March remix sounds interesting. Are you going to throw in some other parts like the Retaliation Hell March remix?

Guest UberEggz

You spelled Soviet War Factory(you spelled it Facvtory)

I've been working and celebrating this week. Also, I've been trying to mix Hell March up with Time Is Running Out by Muse. Once I get the marching right, it'll be epic.

I've also bought tickets for Download Festival at Donington Park; anyone going?

cfehunter is coming with me to cardiff next month hopefully.

dtrngd is fixing the Soviet War Facvtory exterior, after receiving plans and orders from me. This building is going to be really really epic, so stay tuned.

We'll be organising a conflab soon to sort out the team and what everyone else is doing.

:D edit

Guest Xiphias6

Epic Prism Tank, can't stop lookin' at it. Though I think the turret seems too...low. I dunno, I thought it looked higher than that.

Guest player1

Nice blog, I hope the Tank Destroyer is one of the units going to get changed cause I'm pretty sure it was bigger than the Grizzly.

Nice blog. Btw, who were the other two? Out of the overwhelming numbers, I curious.

Teamwolf/[FW]Wolf and Deadpikle.

The logo looks fantastic, it highly resembles but puts much of a unique twist to the original logo. I especially like the use of gold in it.

Also, those vehicles look much better than the previous models. However, I was wondering, even though you say that the Grizzly is ready for unwrapping, are you going to change it to be less rounded, or are you going to do that in the unwrapping? I think the recommendations we made in the blog before the last one might help on what it should look like, and reshaping it would be an easy task, such as angling most of the surfaces instead of rounding them, and lowering the band in the middle of the turret down.

I feel that it have a look that matches the mirage tank or prism tank in style.

Last, the Hell March remix sounds interesting. Are you going to throw in some other parts like the Retaliation Hell March remix?

Some of the higher tech units are likely to change, but the IFV and Grizzly Tank are nearly ready for unwrapping. Some polygon pushing here and there should do the trick.

This implies that there is still work to be done.

As for the HM Remix, I'm gonna put some odd RA sounds in it like the spy's lines or something :p

You spelled Soviet War Factory(you spelled it Facvtory)

Fix'd.

Yeah, I'm going to Download this year, all being well. SLIPKNOT.

See you in the mosh pit >:3

Guest EVA-251

The logo is great, simply spot on! The tank models are marked improvements over what was showcased in the previous blog, although two things strike me as more interesting than the others-

1- The IFV is huge. Its voxel size is big in RA2, but if you notice, most voxels are roughly the same size, even the tremendous Apocalypse Tank is not much larger than a Grizzly. I think it should be scaled down a bit, so it is smaller than the Grizzly at the very least.

2- The Battle Fortress...How exactly will you pack two of these into an Amphibious Transport designed to hold two Apocalypse Tanks, considering the B-Fortress is big enough to roll over an Apoc?xD

The logo is great, simply spot on! The tank models are marked improvements over what was showcased in the previous blog, although two things strike me as more interesting than the others-

1- The IFV is huge. Its voxel size is big in RA2, but if you notice, most voxels are roughly the same size, even the tremendous Apocalypse Tank is not much larger than a Grizzly. I think it should be scaled down a bit, so it is smaller than the Grizzly at the very least.

2- The Battle Fortress...How exactly will you pack two of these into an Amphibious Transport designed to hold two Apocalypse Tanks, considering the B-Fortress is big enough to roll over an Apoc?xD

The scaling isn't accurate. Maybe I should have mentioned this.

Oh it'll be possible to pack them in. :p

Guest EVA-251

The scaling isn't accurate. Maybe I should have mentioned this.

Oh it'll be possible to pack them in. :p

Oh, alright. But the Battle Fortress will still be huge, right? I think you caught the scale of it perfectly in that line-up. :p

I really can't wait to see how the Amphibs will be ingame, judging from the sheer of scale of the Apocalypse Tank and Battle Fortress, you'd probably be able to have deathmatches inside it.

...Just think of a whole map being just water, where all the action takes place on a moving Amphibious Transport going through a Allied-Soviet naval battle, lol. Now THAT would be a unique map!

Edited by EVA-251

Oh, alright. But the Battle Fortress will still be huge, right? I think you caught the scale of it perfectly in that line-up. :p

I really can't wait to see how the Amphibs will be ingame, judging from the sheer of scale of the Apocalypse Tank and Battle Fortress, you'd probably be able to have deathmatches inside it.

...Just think of a whole map being just water, where all the action takes place on a moving Amphibious Transport going through a Allied-Soviet naval battle, lol. Now THAT would be a unique map!

Haha that It would, I'm not too sure how the transports model will look like inside but, will you even be able to see outside of it?

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I always found it strange why Westwood gave the Allies the Battle Fortress, because it follows more of the Soviet philosophy, unless the Allies needed at least one head-on, heavily armored vehicle for balance.

Guest BaneOfSorrows

ChAoS was chosen because he has been supporting the mod since we were back at Blazemods.

Figures that it would be based on longevity...*sigh*...eh, whatever. 'Grats, ChAoS.

Also, I'm lovin' that faction logo. Can't wait to see the commie one.

I always found it strange why Westwood gave the Allies the Battle Fortress, because it follows more of the Soviet philosophy, unless the Allies needed at least one head-on, heavily armored vehicle for balance.

It's like a big, scottish IFV. I think the allies wanted to build something that made the soviets look tiny to intimidate them.

Hard as nails.

Guest Lt Albrecht

Hehehe, I always liked the scottish VOs, a nice break from all the "We're americans!" ones...

It fits the allies as well as gves them the ability to decimate tank spam (5xGGI), like OWA said, it's a big scottish IFV, it's versatile, unlike. say, the same $ value of apocs, which suck versus infantry, are ok vs air, kill armour and cannot be reconfigured, for the costy and the fact it'll need 6 people to mqan the battle fortress Has to sport amazing firepower or it'll never be used.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I think I have to get out of my mind that not all units of a faction have to fit the faction's style, or else it might get imbalanced, and the fact that it might even make it more reasonable canonically.

I figured that the Battle Fortress would act like a mobile command center and defensive vehicle, which would fit the Allies' style of hit-and-run, but in-game its primarily an offensive weapon. I guess I'm thinking too much since I like OWA's explanation. If you can inflate the puny IFV into a mobile bunker that can crush vehicles, why not?

But with my first paragraph, that could help you in adding detail to the model, such as adding antennas or radar dishes.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

I think I have to get out of my mind that not all units of a faction have to fit the faction's style, or else it might get imbalanced, and the fact that it might even make it more reasonable canonically.

I figured that the Battle Fortress would act like a mobile command center and defensive vehicle, which would fit the Allies' style of hit-and-run, but in-game its primarily an offensive weapon. I guess I'm thinking too much since I like OWA's explanation. If you can inflate the puny IFV into a mobile bunker that can crush vehicles, why not?

But with my first paragraph, that could help you in adding detail to the model, such as adding antennas or radar dishes.

I used the Battle Fortress as an AA vehicle in RA2, since that was it's best use imo.

Some of the models in the image are far from finished so things will be done to make them look nice and sexy. If you look closely you may notice that the tank destroyer has tracks, but no wheels.

Guest EVA-251

Hehehe, I always liked the scottish VOs, a nice break from all the "We're americans!" ones...

It fits the allies as well as gves them the ability to decimate tank spam (5xGGI), like OWA said, it's a big scottish IFV, it's versatile, unlike. say, the same $ value of apocs, which suck versus infantry, are ok vs air, kill armour and cannot be reconfigured, for the costy and the fact it'll need 6 people to mqan the battle fortress Has to sport amazing firepower or it'll never be used.

Elite Apoc disagrees strongly.

Guest Lt Albrecht

Try getting an apoc elite Vs GGi Battleforts :p

Anyways, it's just the fact the guns have large damage and some fool at westwood made the apoc's elite warhead too powerful versus none, flak and plate :p