Quixel Suite

I can't believe how cheap it is... 99 USD... It looks pretty awesome. Like anything I think the best way up learn something is to dive in.

One thing, I'm assuming that any diffuse maps I make in quixel will be compatible with W3D right? Probably a n00b question but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for your response!

Any texture is "compatible" with Renegade if it's a targa file. The issue with Quixel Suite is that it isn't designed to create diffuse maps. It's designed to create albedo maps. They're entirely different beasts and will look vastly different from one another.

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

There's some information on the subject

Thanks a lot... I've had a read through, and will have another look tomorrow.

Can albedo maps look good in renegade?

Once again I apologise for my n00b questions.

Edited by Shnappz

Once again I apologise for my n00b questions.

Dude come on! You're not a n00b :p Take confidence and ask your questions! Make stuff! Be awesome!

That being said, the stuff I've seen so far made in quixel looks really good....but it seems the "curse of w3d" has struck again, as Synaesthesia pointed out. It sounds like the stuff it makes is too advanced for the engine to handle by default. I don't know a great deal about this kind of stuff but it follows a trend I do recognize: "New & Awesome" is hardly ever compatible with "old" :( But thats why we have awesome people like you and Syn to bridge that gap! Keep throwing out ideas like this one and one day you'll strike gold my friend.

I had a go with the free trial.. It doesn't seem ideal for W3D at all... Also, having Autodesk 3DS Max 2015 running along with photoshop CC & quixel suite made my computer so slow it was almost unusable.

yeah well i was having problems with 3DO and i had to keep re-saving my mesh to make it work... eventually it did... but it was super shiny :\ and for some reason the materials i was applying to it just seemed to go into these two tiny faces on the model, rather than the whole thing.

I gave up in the end as i was at work... and probably should've been doing work...

i didnt explain it well enough... i didnt want the shinyness, it was just there.

When i applied a texture from DDO onto it, it only filled two random faces with the texture, the rest of the model remained shiny..

It was one object but it was saved from 3DS Max 8... so i assumed there may be a compatibility issue..

You explained it fine. QS will not properly apply materials to the model if it's made up of several objects. You have to attach everything together before you send it over to QS. The two random faces are separate objects inside of your model and need to be attached to it.

I don't know how that's possible... It was one single object. It's never been more than one. I'll check it tomorrow but these random faces are like two little triangles, they would have never have logically been a different object.