Computer upgrades

ganein14

As the title says, I'm looking for parts to upgrade my computer with. Namely the video card and if need be, the power supply. I've had this computer since early '14 and I'm still running the onboard video card and power supply. Can anyone recommend me a place/site I could get good and reliable parts, that are also cheap? Also, are PCI and PCI-E video cards compatible with each other?

Edited by ganein14

PCI and PCI-E (the "e" is for express) are physically different and thus can't be used together in a bridged configuration such as SLI or Crossfire. They also don't fit in each others' slots due to the physical differences. For new stuff, I mainly use newegg or if you're ok with used stuff and a little risk, ebay. What you need is determined by your current system though. If can you give a model number for it? That would help me bunches! :D

Aaaand thats all i needed :D Thats a decent HP base model. You'll need a new power supply if you want to add a larger video card though. While I can't find a pic of that exact motherboard model, its unreasonable to assume that it doesn't have a PCI express slot. So the question now is what is your budget?

If you want to play your games at higher framerates but can live without the extra eye candy, you can probably get away with a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti

The one I linked goes for $110, and your power supply meets the minimum power requirement to run (300 watts).

This card should play old games (like TSR or anything W3D for that matter) at the highest possible settings while more modern titles can be played with slightly lowered settings.

Its really amazing how cheap some video cards are nowadays versus the old days. And I mean price cheap not quality cheap :D That card Pyryle linked should work fine for that system and it also has a low budget in mind. That one or a similar one, as he mentioned, would not require upgrading the power supply. It really comes down to how much "umph" you want to add. Doing it versus doing it better...versus over-doing it. I tend to be a fan of massive cards with 2 GPUs and tons of ram myself but thats just me :D Let us know which route you want to go and we'll help you either way!

Thanks Pyryle. I'll definitely consider that card. Though is there a three or four gig card I could run with my power supply?

Try looking on Overclockers UK

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/

I used them when building my gaming rig and I belive they ship to the US :) Also:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-geforce-gtx-770-twin-fan-edition-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-214-ok.html

runs at 250w and is 4 gig although your pushing £200 with this one.

There is a 4 GB variant provided by Gigabyte, but that requires auxillary power to run and is $40 more than the first one I linked.

The extra memory only really helps if you want to max out on anti-aliasing and/or the game uses very hi-res (2048 x 2048+) textures

You know...I do have a 500w power supply sitting in my old computer. It's only got about six months of use on it before the hard drive crapped out. If all PSUs are cross compatible with all desktop PCs, would that work?

Well then odds are you could get both that and the power supply moved over to the new system. Might not have to spend any money right now if you're just looking to get it able to play games. Just about any 1gb card will get you that. Though we could verify that with a model number and a google search!

runs at 250w

Plus the other 100-200w that the rest of the PC needs :D He'll definitely need another PSU for that one haha

*Facepalm* facepalm.gif duh of course, how did I miss that... That's what I get for posting when I have had a drink

Well, I'd like to play games as advanced as Subnautica without it running at 2 FPS....

Well Subnautica has a minimum spec on graphic cards around about the Intel HD 4600 level but you'd be better of aiming a bit higher than that if you want it to look pretty AND run nice (and it's worth it cause Subnautica is awesome) they recommend on the Steam Store page that a Nvidia GTX 550 ti or equiv should run the game pretty smooth (so that GTX 750 ti mentioned earlier should be fine for Subnautica)

Edited by DeviousDave

runs at 250w

Plus the other 100-200w that the rest of the PC needs :D He'll definitely need another PSU for that one haha

*Facepalm* facepalm.gif duh of course, how did I miss that... That's what I get for posting when I have had a drink

:awesome:

... While I can't find a pic of that exact motherboard model ...

Shouldn't this be it? http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03135925

It should....thats the pic I came to as well but I couldn't find where anything explicitly said that was it. And I found another page that listed that model along with about a hundred others that all use the same PCB :aaa: I felt that was a bit of a stretch haha. How did you find it? You probably google better than me lol

Well, I'd like to play games as advanced as Subnautica without it running at 2 FPS....

Well Subnautica has a minimum spec on graphic cards around about the Intel HD 4600 level but you'd be better of aiming a bit higher than that if you want it to look pretty AND run nice (and it's worth it cause Subnautica is awesome) they recommend on the Steam Store page that a Nvidia GTX 550 ti or equiv should run the game pretty smooth (so that GTX 750 ti mentioned earlier should be fine for Subnautica)

At the moment I don't really care if it looks pretty or not. I'd like to be able to play it without having such a shitty frame rate. And to be honest, that's the lowest FPS I've ever gotten when it come to games.

It should....thats the pic I came to as well but I couldn't find where anything explicitly said that was it. And I found another page that listed that model along with about a hundred others that all use the same PCB :aaa: I felt that was a bit of a stretch haha. How did you find it? You probably google better than me lol

With the number information I found it was an HP machine, I then looked up that model on the HP site to find the specs of that model, including the mobo information.

Ofcourse we could always ask for a DxDiag output if we want to know more detailed specifics about the system (in case custom changes have been made to the standard model).

With the number information I found it was an HP machine, I then looked up that model on the HP site to find the specs of that model, including the mobo information.

Ofcourse we could always ask for a DxDiag output if we want to know more detailed specifics about the system (in case custom changes have been made to the standard model).

Well, unless I did it in my sleep or someone snuck in to my room and did it while I was away and knew my passwords to pick up where I had left off, I don't thing that's an issue.