Siege Poll #1: Alternative Objective

Siege alternative objective  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which alternative objective would you like to see on Siege?

• Domination mode similar to Rocktrap, where locations must be held to gain score bonuses, which ultimately results in an alternate victory possibility besides base destruction.
    • A new objective type, where a team must hold all control points simultaneously to activate a one minute "alert countdown timer", if that team remains in control of all locations, that team wins. Base destruction also still possible.

Greetings,

As some of you know, my current contribution task for APB is the completion of the Gamma map, Siege. More information on this map can be found in the map request thread, as well as an explanation as for why I decided to work on Siege first, instead of the Fjord remake.

Siege will have an alternate victory objective, alongside the standard base destruction victory. However I've been discussing this second victory condition with GeneralCamo, and we believe that another poll might settle the matter - after all, I create this content for you, the players, and you can decide for yourselves what is fun and what is not.

A quick rundown of the two options. These are the only two options, there is no third option (other than perhaps no alternative objective at all). Note that this is about an alternative victory objective, this is not a bonus objective or secondary objective, which typically do not result in a match to end. Completion of Siege's alternative objective will end the game.

Option 1: Domination mode as we currently have it on maps like Rocktrap.

With this option, the castle will receive a set of key locations which must be controlled. Holding a domination objective generates score ticks, and when enough ticks are collected, the game ends in victory of the team with most domination ticks. This means that players have to constantly defend those locations.

Option 2: A new gameplay mode we are currently calling "King of multiple hills".

The objective would be to claim ownership of ALL control points in key locations within the castle, with a capture mechanic similar to that of domination mode. The key difference here is that capturing an objective doesn't do anything on it's own besides provide a notification. Only once all objectives are held by the same team will the game enter an "alert mode" where the other team has one minute to re-claim at least one control point to end the "alert mode". The team that manages to retain ownership of all locations during the "alert mode", wins the match.

The main difference between option 1 and 2 is that domination mode encourages camping the same control points where as the new gameplay mode encourages you to travel to the other control points to clean them of enemies and flip ownership, since camping a single control point doesn't progress you towards a victory at all. Both gameplay modes will benefit from vehicle and air support (besides interior control points).

Worth noting is that currently both alternative objectives require some script development, option 2 more so than option 1. So that's why this poll exists, to check which option is most preferred by the players, based on what they think is more fun. My personal opinion is leaning heavily towards option 2, since I do not like domination mode as it encourages just camping the same control point the entire match.

Let us know what you think!

Edited by Raap

Worth mentioning is that the reason Siege will receive an alternate victory objective, is that a base destruction victory is even harder to achieve here than in Hostile Waters. The map needs an alternative way to end, otherwise many matches risk running until time-out, and that would not be ideal especially if one team lost a critical structure like the Helipad.

Yes folks, there is a thought process that goes into these things! :v

Edited by Raap

Current favor is towards the new concept. Giving it a few more days to increase poll sample size, but I don't expect the overal voting percentage to change.

If a large majority wants the new concept, then I'll see what can be done to realize it. Keep in mind I could bump into scripting limitations.