GDI Medium Tank Oddity "TD Ground Zero Suggestion"

Chad1233

Tore pointed out an interesting thing I never noticed about the GDI Abrams Tank seen in the CGI cut scenes. So it seems WW used a early prototype as reference material and looks to be a mixture of the General Motors (Not Chrysler) XM1 turret on a Production M1 Chassis or close to it.

Compared to a M1 Turret the GDI turret is narrower and shorter with different angles like how the roof turret slopes downwards towards the back which is similar to the GM XM1 turret. the gun mantlet area is also similar to the GM XM1 turret.

What's funny is it looks like WW remodeled it to look more like the production version for RA1 so the prequel got a even newer Abrams. :p Even though it wouldn't make sense for GDI taking place in the 90s, but it'd be neat to see this weird hybrid recreated for the TD mod.

Spoiler

GMXM1.thumb.png.b0bc5eaf056921ff5513dafcd54a84ad.pngGDITANK.thumb.jpg.b7a8d1933d99a147164607bb164c8a9d.jpgGDITANK2.thumb.jpg.da3ffa2c69a220b302699ca658f082e5.jpgPhotos.thumb.jpg.1e878d8e3d8251a1b221f99604590473.jpg

Edited by Chad1233

Interesting find. This made me curious about the differences over the course of APB as far as the model used, so I grabbed a few screenshots of what I found. It looks like the original model was just a slightly modified Renegade model (not surprising), whereas the later one is definitely more refined.

.900 Initial Alpha release

Screenshot.4.pngScreenshot.3.pngScreenshot.2.pngScreenshot.1.png

1.2.0 Beta

Screenshot.4.pngScreenshot.5.pngScreenshot.6.png

Interesting find! I always thought that the oddities with the Medium Tank in the cutscenes was down to quirky art of the time or oversights. Cool to see some basis in reality!

As for GZ, while I can't promise anything, I can say that we're considering it enough to the point where we've added the images you posted to our references. Thanks for the find!

4 hours ago, Killing_You said:

Interesting find! I always thought that the oddities with the Medium Tank in the cutscenes was down to quirky art of the time or oversights. Cool to see some basis in reality!

As for GZ, while I can't promise anything, I can say that we're considering it enough to the point where we've added the images you posted to our references. Thanks for the find!

Thanks! I really hope to see a C&C1 FPS mod actually be finished and happy too see your team doing great work.   :biggrin:

Spoiler

american_3_color_fpsbver.thumb.png.e9b53a92759da17b3f715e62d59f69a5.pnghumvee.thumb.jpg.a408cd7c1189160134be6a0ebb5e238f.jpg

This is obvious but pointing it out just in case. The camo that WW used in all their GDI and Nod CGI models were based on the three color "DCU (Desert Camouflage Uniform)" used by the US Military. It was simply recolored to Urban for Nod.

Also I would like to see jungle maps for Ground Zero since WW had plans to add it due to the Nod campaign taking place in Africa. (There's leftovers to being referenced in editor mode). They're One or two Jungle cut scenes still in the game like the chain gunner in a helicopter and they're some renders of GDI units with their camo recolored to green and brown for jungle as seen on the medium tank in my first post.

Edited by Chad1233