Blog 37 (11/07/07)

Welcome to this week's edition of the AR blog. All the stuff you really want to read is below this sentence.

<h3>Renegade??</h3>

Thats right, we are now running our tests off a completely new build. Apocalypse Rising Test build 1. This basically means that we have taken out just about everything related to Renegade from the Always.dat archive (big credit to Spice), and rebuilt from the ground up. This makes our current build weigh in at around 80mb with scripts and such. All good stuff. Once I track down the Vengeance files from TheKGBSpy we may be able to start serious testing, this all depends on the volume of assets however.

<h3>Guess The Picture</h3>

Well, let me tell you straight. We have deployable GIs. As seen in the screen below. Now I remember a while back people were complaining about how the deployed GI would be too easy of a target for the soviets. The answer, spawn sandbags constricting movement but not as much as to let the player go too far. Kinda like the image below. (Although the sandbags will be smaller). Give us some feedback on this idea and how you think it would work better than a fixed position logic as we are quite interested on what you chaps think.

ScreenHunter_038.jpg

This was tested using our super new AR build, hence the lack of infantry textures.

<h3>What do you get when.....</h3>

What do you get when you cross a Sam Site, with a Light Tank and a Tesla Tank?

The answer is an IFV! (for comedy uses only, this will not appear ingame)

IFVCRAP.jpg

The IFV below is what we are using. Accept no imitations and no badly cobbled together mismatches. (Combo Mambo's, on the other hand, are win)

IFV.jpg

<h3>End</h3>

Thats it for this week. Apart from random announcements.

I finish college on friday! Yay! I'm off to a house party on friday and should be back on saturday. If my internet problems don't clear out I'm going to have to attack someone. I have also offered to co-host a podcast with canadian anime lover Lord_Kane, interviewing Kushan about the Tiberian dawn mod. Expect that soon :D

Ric has been working away on the Harrier, hopefully we can show you some shots next week :)

danpaul88 has been working loads on the core design and scripting of AR, without him you probably wouldn't be getting a mod this quickly. You are awesome my friend :)

Casting will start for the Bluehell Group's first major production. Watch out for that one.

And finally, Mammutpanzer is working on german localisation for the mod, so expect a german version of AR, release candidate 1!

Thats about it, see you next week.

The GI is interestin :D

However, in RA2, the deployed GI's primary advantage was, he could kill most infantry before it could start shooting him. But this is an fps, enemy shall get closer, and the GI must start moving! :)

Maybe a very littlebit wider moving area would be better but otherwise I love the idea :)

Nice Blog OWA. We get a standalone and a lot of work to test soon. :):)

About the IFV. Are we going to see all different versions soon ? IFV blog :p

Nice ownage danpaul. danpaul88 FTW! :D

About the GI:

I think it shouldn't move to much. In RA2 and YR the GI also couldn't move arround while being in the sandbag, but the problem is in RA 2 and YR the Recrut didn't headshot all the time. If the GI moves arround his machine gun he automatically move. So if you want to kill the enemie you just can aim on him, but than you don't move. Still I think it would be cool if he moves arround, when the machine gun moves arround, but normally he can't move arround. So while you are reloading you move arround your weapon and if you reloaded you aim on the enemie and rape him in a second. :) I like this idea most.

I hope we see the Harrier soon. Good luck with it Ric.

Congrants finishing college OWA. :)

Podcast! podcast! podcast. ^^

Good luck bluehell group.

Guest cmatt42

Depending on how much smaller you make the sandbags, I was thinking that instead of completely blocking fire, it could give a 25% boost in health and armor while deployed. Of course, no movement while deployed would counterbalance the effect.

Ah, I've another idea that I just waltzed right into my head. Perhaps when deployed, the infantry's armor type changes into a more hefty one to minimize damage.

Really, I'm just opposed to completely stopping ammo with the wall because there's only so much you could fire at. But with the wall getting shorter, I dunno.

Ah, I've another idea that I just waltzed right into my head. Perhaps when deployed, the infantry's armor type changes into a more hefty one to minimize damage.

This is what we are going with.

Update: The IFV we are using has been reposted to show the differance.

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

you could also make it so that if the GI duck he would be completely under the sandbag, thus the enemy had to come totally up close to shoot him, but then he couldn't fire his gun while ducked.

Anyway nice, IFV

Guest gtpandy

Depending on how much smaller you make the sandbags, I was thinking that instead of completely blocking fire, it could give a 25% boost in health and armor while deployed. Of course, no movement while deployed would counterbalance the effect.

Really, I'm just opposed to completely stopping ammo with the wall because there's only so much you could fire at. But with the wall getting shorter, I dunno.

From the look of the sandbags, when deployed you are uncrushable, so that is an extra bonus...

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

From the look of the sandbags, when deployed you are uncrushable, so that is an extra bonus...

As OWA said earlier the sandbags will be lowered, so I don't think so as he wasn't in RA2 either, only the GGI was when deployed

As OWA said earlier the sandbags will be lowered, so I don't think so as he wasn't in RA2 either, only the GGI was when deployed

I said they would be smaller. I should have said "smaller in circumferance."

Guest MartynM

Nice Deployed GI!

Also, super special awesome IFV.

Just a thought, wasnt the sandbags like at an angle like making a wider bottom layer?

Just a thought, wasnt the sandbags like at an angle like making a wider bottom layer?

I should point out that I made those sandbags in two minutes in 3ds max. Tube -> Create -> Convert to editable mesh -> Chamfer -> Texture -> UVW map -> Export. :D

Guest Herr General

I can't wait for the Harrier, I took a short course in pilot training so I really want to fly.

PS: I envy all you testers so much! :D

Is that all you're ever going to say?

Hmm, i agree. Looking at it now, posting "Lol." on these recent blogs is pretty pointless.

I thought about it again.

Original by cmatt42

I forgot that he can turn arround 360 while being in the sandbag and that the sandbag is a 360° defens. :):D

I also played a bit RA2 YR again. Now I think he shouldn't be able to move arround, but he should be able to turn arround 360° at his position. The sandbag should have a circumferance and be lower. You should be able to see the GI's body and head. Now if you give him a new armour so he is uncrushable, get a health and armour increase and enemy units don't cause much damage. His MG will have more ammo than (for exmaple) the Recrut has. It will fire faster, have a longer range and does more damage. I think that will counterbalance it. He shouldn't be able to duck. That Tanya, a SEAL, a sniper, a attack dog or a Chronolegionere still can own him would correspond to the RA2 YR balancing.

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

except in RA2 he could be crushed while seated, if you just make it so you are able to undeploy pretty quickly so you could move away from tanks, I think that is better, otherwise he would become decent at tanks while deployed which he wasn't in RA2 in YR that was the purpose of a deployed GGI, that couldn't be crushed and had rockets instead of machine guns. Oh yeah 5-10 of these guys deployed and even a few heavy armored vehicles, got problems

Guest Herr General

Wednesday is the best day of the week for me simply because of the AR blog. I look forward to it all week just to see the awesome pics and info.