Blog 106 06/11/08

Welcome to this week's blog. Sorry it's late but my sleeping pattern has been royally screwed this past week.

Anyway, here's what we have this week.

<h3>Soviet Barracks</h3>

dtrngd has completed the basic room layout for the Soviet Barracks. It is a little bigger than the allied barracks, so he has made an extra route within the building to connect more rooms and allow for more ways to get to a certain area.

The Soviet Barracks sees the return of the kitchen, but this time in a cafeteria/soviet bread line theme to account for the harsher conditions that the soviets endure.

I could give you pictures but they would be too confusing, so I have a video prepared. It will be going up on youtube later along with some older videos. But here's the direct link for now.

<h3>Allied Barracks</h3>

TheBeerinator has started on optimising and texturing the Allied Barracks. He managed to shave nearly 10,000 polygons off of the model through deleting hidden faces and vertices that aren't shown. This means that it looks nearly the same inside and it's less stress on your computer. Good eh? There are still a few things he took out that he needs to put back though.

Anyway, he will start texturing fairly soon and I bet you guys are anxious to see how it turns out. I know I am. Screenshots coming soon!

<h3>Red Alert 3 UK Launch</h3>

I got onto the train to london and sat down, eager to get there. I texted [FW]Wolf about various things like where we were meeting and stuff. My train pulled into Euston so I got off and instantly became lost.

I grabbed my google map that I had printed out previously and tried to find a landmark, which I did. I then headed off down Gower Street, making a beeline for Trafalgar Square. There were a lot of people selling the big issue.

I got a call from Wolf, he was in the area next to me, so I arranged to meet up at the National Gallery, overlooking the square. I met up with him and his mate and we travelled down to the EA Battledome, talking about C&C and his w3d mod, Battle For Dune. We got to the entrance and some guy asked us if we were with EA. I was so tempted to say yes, but didn't. Although we did hand him a BHP flyer. This is what the battledome looked like.

DSC01876-1.jpg

We then went into the dome itself. We were asked outside if we were press, so we held up our leaflets proudly and convinced them we were. The battledome was epic. They had a lot of Dell XPS computers with the game running as well as Xbox 360s. Wolf and I handed out dozens of flyers which was cool. We found some guys with Nod T-shirts and said "Peace Through Power Brothers" proudly. We felt accepted as C&C fans. I usually get funny looks when I recite the "In the name of Kane" speech at university, but that's another story.

We then found Greg Black and had a chat to him about the game and such. We congratulated him on such a successful beta and talked to him about our projects. He was suprised that we were still modding Renegade after all this time. All I can say is what's to be suprised about? Amrite Renegaders? We gave him some flyers and got a picture with him!

DSC01877-1.jpg

We made our way to the front and Battlecast Primetime started! It was so awesome actually watching it live. It was one of the best things that I have done in a while. Me and Wolf kept yelling "Foundries!" at Raj Joshi when the crowd was cued to cheer. Here are some of the images from the big screen.

DSC01888-1.jpgDSC01891-1.jpg

DSC01900-1.jpgDSC01905-1.jpg

DSC01907-1.jpg

I found this one funny.

DSC01889-1.jpg

Gemma Atkinson was then called up onto the stage and was interviewed. She is rather hawt.

DSC01897-1.jpg

We then moved to the back of the room to try and get on camera. The producer, Neel, came round and started asking people if they wanted to commentate on the match, so I volounteered. I went round to where Raj was and was standing by these guys who didn't even know the game at all. It was laughable. The focus was put on us and I held up one of the flyers with Wolf waving one behind me. I was then asked to commentate on what was happening in the match going on between Shaun "Apollo" Clark and some russian dude, so I thought up something on the spot based on what I had done in the RA3 beta. It was really epic being on the show and I still can't believe I was there.

lookwhoitis.png

I got a quick photo with Raj after before he ran back up to the stage.

DSC01908-1.jpg

The match was cut due to a technical glitch, but the show still rocked. It was awesome being there live. We then caught up with Raj and David after the show and got some pictures. They couldn't believe how cold it was over here since they are used to California. Dave and Raj are both really nice down-to-earth guys and it was great to see them out of their on-camera personas. Wolf even got the front page of the script signed by Dave and a flyer signed by Raj with the word "Foundries" on it. Here are the pictures.

DSC01909-1.jpgDSC01911-1.jpg

After the event, we walked back to Euston station all excited about the event that had just unfolded. It was amazing. We grabbed a drink at the bar (not cheap) and chatted away about the event, more C&C and the state of w3d modding in this day and age. We got a picture just before I went to catch my train.

DSC01912-1.jpg

All in all, an epic night out!

Check out the full video here. I appear at around the 1.04 mark.

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm off back home tommorrow. Hopefully my new motherboard will be there!

I haven't seen cfehunter in ages, so I don't know what's going on with him.

dtrngd and TheBeerinator have been battling it out over the barracks optimisation and stuff.

Chevy787 is busy with school.

Guywithawrench is modelling weapons.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

<h3>Cha-Ching</h3>

Kari Wuhrer was a much better Tanya :D

Guest Kurorahk

Awesomeness with the barracks. I remember going on to watch the live BCPT and then someone in IRC says your on and I look and there is the flier.

-Kurorahk-

Guest Stormweaver

Wow, I love the underground epicness of the barracks - to think, if the soviets hadn't put the huge statue on top, no-one would know it's there :p

Nice to see work moving along so fast though - I can't wait to ditch APB for this mod.

And LOL at the 'technical failure'. Nice save, but lol. If it hadn't happened, I probably would have seen it coming...

Guest Chronojam

Very nice OWA. Did saying you were press get you any bonuses? They could've been just counting to make a press release later saying the amount of coverage they got.

Guest Stormweaver

Both projects will offer unique features that make them worth playing.

Meh, was just my way of saying I'm getting sick of APB. I'm sure gamma will be awesome ^_^ but right now, all i can compare it to is this steadly phailing beta :p

I am interested in how AR will play out though. Really can't wait to try it...

...though running through those mazes of barracks to C4 the major weakpoints should be a challenge :p

Very nice OWA. Did saying you were press get you any bonuses? They could've been just counting to make a press release later saying the amount of coverage they got.

It didn't, however my name was on a list of some kind which turned out to be pointless in the end.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

The barracks look great, and it will be even greater and less confusing once the props come in.

Will the Soviet cafeteria also feature a menu? If so, then I think that there is only one type of bread, but the menu entries disguise it with names such as: Bread w/ surprise green and white powder, mashed bread, juicy bread, bread with chunky brown rat poop seasonings, etc.

And I wish I was at the UK launch, but I am 4682.75 miles (7535.95 km) away sadly. I can't imagine how fun it was for you!

Guest A_Mustang

AR is general is looking awesome, :) i can't wait to blow thur the soviet barracks with a seal team, C4 the heart, and barely get out in time to survive the epic destruction of the barracks. :D

I have a question though, if the buildings are going to collapse at death like the soon-to-be APB ones, how will the seal/Tanya escape in time to survive? Is the C4 going to have a timer or have to be manually detonated?

Got the vid but due to this comp failing atm, i shall watch later.

i srsly can't wait to see what beer does with the barracks!

Launch night was too awesome for words, and to meet Greg Black and to chat with David and Raj at the end was just unreal.

Another epic blog guys, keep it up!

The barracks look great, and it will be even greater and less confusing once the props come in.

Will the Soviet cafeteria also feature a menu? If so, then I think that there is only one type of bread, but the menu entries disguise it with names such as: Bread w/ surprise green and white powder, mashed bread, juicy bread, bread with chunky brown rat poop seasonings, etc.

Romanov's Suprise, really you don't want to know :D

I have a question though, if the buildings are going to collapse at death like the soon-to-be APB ones, how will the seal/Tanya escape in time to survive? Is the C4 going to have a timer or have to be manually detonated?

We have not planned for collapsible buildings, mainly because we don't have many animators and it'd take too much time. We can make the exterior topple and crumble easily, but I think that's about it.

:D Good blog(or blarg), did you played any RA3 matches for the allies, or did you BETRAYED THE ALLIES AND joined the soviet forces for world domination???

You didn't mentioned what actually happened after the battledome visit :v , but I'm sure you guys had enough fun as it is.

Seeming that there are many floors in soviet barracks, will it have some general hall/elevator/additional stairs? It looks like a maze to me with wierd passage ways. But after textured it might look more clear. Also the statue could include some ladder inside it and make the top parts as a good sniping/observing point. Just throwing some ideas.

Heh, I hope you know that I love you OWA.

So much so that I watch that whole battlecast prime thing for an hour just to see you at the end. :)

Awww :D <3

:) Good blog(or blarg), did you played any RA3 matches for the allies, or did you BETRAYED THE ALLIES AND joined the soviet forces for world domination???

I've completed all the campaigns.

Nice blawg, Ackerman for president! And yes, Kari was a much better Tanya =(.

I agree.

Kari was hawt but deadly :)

You didn't mentioned what actually happened after the battledome visit :v , but I'm sure you guys had enough fun as it is.

Seeming that there are many floors in soviet barracks, will it have some general hall/elevator/additional stairs? It looks like a maze to me with wierd passage ways. But after textured it might look more clear. Also the statue could include some ladder inside it and make the top parts as a good sniping/observing point. Just throwing some ideas.

After the event, we walked back to Euston station all excited about the event that had just unfolded. It was amazing. We grabbed a drink at the bar (not cheap) and chatted away about the event, more C&C and the state of w3d modding in this day and age. We got a picture just before I went to catch my train.

All in all, an epic night out!

I did have a think about making the comrade statue into a sniping point, but then came across two fundamental flaws.

1. Soviets don't have snipers.

2. The only way to the top is through the crotch, as the legs aren't thick enough.

We decided not to o with elevators in the soviet barracks because none of the rooms are particularly below any of the others (apart from the major weakpoint room). I guess we could make a lift that goes to the connection corridor though.

:D I meant this: Did you play any RA3 Matches at the UK Launch Event????

Oh right. No I didn't play RA3 at all because I was busy meeting people and handing out flyers :p

Guest ivan55599

if also Soviet barr is so big, finding nuke will be big problem, or trying find where is C4 in MCT

Edited by ivan55599