Blog 126 (25/03/09)

Welcome to this week's blog. I've had a really busy week so far, but I took the time to get this to you on schedule this week :D

<h3>Flak Cannon</h3>

TheBeerinator has completed the Soviet Flak Cannon texture! This oversized party popper will certainly darken the skys with it's clouds of deadly flak. The Allies need to watch out for the deadly cluster shots which have an incredibly high chance of hitting anything that runs on jet fuel.

Expect to see the Flak Cannon clipping the Allies' wings ingame after we fix an issue with how the cannon is going to tilt.

Anyway, here is a render.

flak-2-1.jpg

<h3>Soviet Refinery</h3>

Ric has really pulled out all the stops when developing the Soviet Refinery. This structure is looking to be our most detailed yet! I'll stop typing and let the pictures speak for themselves.

Check these out.

sovietref28-1.jpgsovietref26-1.jpg

<h3>A New Idea: Repair Points</h3>

With the abscence of the master control terminal in AR, technicians and engineers lose their repair bonus from concentrating repairs on that point. We have now remedied this with a fresh idea, Repair Points (official name pending).

At the moment the basic idea is to have a few points around a building where repair units can get a bonus. These could be anything from broken pipes to terminals. The form has not been decided on yet. These new points will give the techy/engineer more options on where they want to repair. Stay near the entrance of the building just in case you are needed else where or go further into the building for safety whilst repairing. The choice shall be yours.

More information will be released on this new feature when we have have sat down and discussed it a bit more in depth, but you probably get the general idea of taking the MCT concept and flipping it on it's head.

<h3>????</h3>

Ok, so this is not directly mod related, but I wanted to show you guys what I've been up to.

I'm studying a module of comparative physiology at university at the moment. This is basically a module based on modelling, texturing and rigging animals. For my project on this module I decided to make a 3d cartoon worm, based heavily on earthworm jim and worms from the game of the same name.

I was pretty pleased with how this turned out, so here's a screenshot.

Jim.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been tied up with work so much that I have been working in the kitchen because there is no distractions from the internet. I've also bought a new cooler and ram for my pc, making it run a lot quieter.

cfehunter has been learning how to model again, as he hasn't done it in so long.

dtrngd has been doing awesome things with the allied power plant. It's looking great!

danpaul88 has been laughing over how we believed that the renegade ai was smart for a second.

TheBeerinator will be texturing the Tesla Coil soon :)

Ric has been busy updating and improving the Soviet Refinery. Good stuff!

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

The fun you can have when you cross Big Mouth Billy Bass with Howard Dean...

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>More Next Week</h3>

So we'll keep you posted on what's happening :)

Guest Allie29

Is that flak cannon model final? Don't get me wrong, the texture is good and so is the base. The barrel... just looks plain odd. Looks more like a circus cannon than a deadly flak cannon.

Guest theta123

Is that flak cannon model final? Don't get me wrong, the texture is good and so is the base. The barrel... just looks plain odd. Looks more like a circus cannon than a deadly flak cannon.

I second this motion.The flak cannon looks all good exept the Barrel.

That Flak cannon looks awesome, another great job by Beer.

I love the refinery internals, looks amazing!

I like the ide about repairing, does put a twist on repair units.

Lol nice worm!

Cool blog, keep it up.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Bah! I though TheBeerinator was gonna make the cannon out of cloth :D

I'm also wondering, do different repair points have different amounts of bonuses?

Great blog, and thanks for going out of your way to post this on time!

It has a slight error, so we are going to probably redo most of the top half.

Guest Glaed

The cannon's base is fine. The cannon (and how it attaches to the base)... I don't like it.

Edited by Glaed

Guest A_Mustang

cannon just looks off....

my advice is to taper the end off and make the barrel thicker-looking.

repair points are a good idea.

Nice blog BTW

Guest HYBRID BEING

The flak cannon differs from one in RA2, but a small redisign is not bad) The barrel is just the size, howether the way it's attached to the base looks wierd. And no tapering, please. Flak Cannon is supposed to be HUGE (thats why i hate the one from RA3).

About Repair Points: since damaged building will gain cracks, then why not make this cracks to be a Repair Points?)

The worm is epic. "Groovy!", lol.

Edited by HYBRID BEING

Guest Gurgle

Nice blog, looking forward to a textured Tesla Coil :>

The Flak Cannon looks odd tbh, but I can't pinpoint where.

out.

The bottom half of:

sovietref28-1.jpg

Reminds me of that level in Killzone where you had to get up from the bottom to the top; and there were baddies on the top. It was insanely difficult (yet awesome) because there were soldiers above and surrounding you who could take cover at will and easily kill you while trying to go up the ramp - hope the Refinery turns out different D:

Left worm eye is crazy; right worm eye is evil.

Guest Stormweaver

Will these 'repair' points be animated in any way? Say, the building looks fine but then a pipe bursts and that pipe/general area becomes an active repair point?

Might look cool. Maybe the bursting pipe could hurt people too :p

The cannon's base is fine. The cannon (and how it attaches to the base)... I don't like it.

cannon just looks off....

my advice is to taper the end off and make the barrel thicker-looking.

The flak cannon differs from one in RA2, but a small redisign is not bad) The barrel is just the size, howether the way it's attached to the base looks wierd. And no tapering, please. Flak Cannon is supposed to be HUGE (thats why i hate the one from RA3).

It has a slight error, so we are going to probably redo most of the top half.

Guest UberEggz

Flak cannon looks good, but the barrel is odd.

Maybe make a seocnd base and place it on that and make a mechanical screw driver pushing the shrapnel thru the barrel? And make the top flatter :p

Guest Jon Fox

The flak cannon ought to be a bit thinner. It looks like a Mortar from hell at as it is. It seems to me like it should look more like a FlaK 88 or something, and less like Mini-Gustav.

Guest Kakashi

Am i the only one that likes the lolcannon look of the flak? Maybe I played too much TF2 lately, but I think this flak might actually fit into RA2s "semi-comicstyle"... but of course that's for you guys to decide.