Blog 130 (29/04/09)

I am free once again do write to you, the fans, this blarg! I was really tied up with my univeristy work this past week, but now that I've handed it in, I have a free run to do whatever the hell I want til september. This means more AR stuff! :)

Anyway, forward to the blarg!

<h3>Allied Power Plant Video</h3>

dtrngd has just about completed modelling the allied power plant interior, so last week he did a video in coordination with Teamwolf/[FW]Wolf to show it off ingame. dtrngd explains a lot of it in the video's commentary so there's not really much else I can say other than watch the video! :)

<h3>Medium Sized Office</h3>

Guy with a wrench has started modelling interiors to the civilian buildings that he made a while ago. The building has a single floor with areas to fire from on each side. We'll speak more on the garrison logic as and when we get it working, since at the moment we are just finalising our theory on how this should work etc.

Here are some images:

office1-1.jpgoffice2-1.jpg

office3-1.jpgoffice4-1.jpg

office5-1.jpgoffice6-1.jpg

office7-1.jpgoffice8-1.jpg

(It's mostly done, notable things to do are the office chair and other such items).

<h3>Updated MIX Patcher</h3>

The man who makes the impossible possible, danpaul88, has made a significant upgrade to his w3d MIX patcher. This program allows for optimised patches to be made to our core archive files (Always.dat and map files). As danpaul88 explains:

Future patch installers for AR will use an updated copy of the MIX patcher which accepts multiple sets of files to patch via the command line. This means that instead of cascading lots of windows for each MIX file that's getting updated it can use the same window for all of them. Functionality is otherwise unchanged.

As a lot of the testers already know from experience, the MIX patcher is a really effective way of keeping things under control in terms of game versions. Hopefully in AR, with this system, you'll never have the wrong version through mispatching and the like. Pretty epic stuff.

<h3>Podcast Transcript</h3>

For those of you who dislike my sexy british voice; my taco comrade Deadpikle has provided you guys with an alternative. A transcript of the whole event.

Deadpikle_Transcript.pdf

Kudos to Deadpikle for this awesome conribution and sorry for forgetting to put it up the first time :D

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm back working at full capacity as soon as I get home next week. My projects were a great success in terms of what I handed in. So I'll gather them up together and hopefully show you guys in a bonus blog over the weekend or something. Seeing as I totally missed last week's blog due to my workload.

cfehunter was going to write the blog according to a post he made in the staff forums, but I guess he became a little busy at the last minute.

dtrngd has been working really hard on the Allied Power Plant, but he has exams coming up soon, like a lot of others, thus he will be cutting off for a short while.

danpaul88 has been working on the MIX patcher as well as a few other nice things.

Most of the rest of the team need organising, so now that I'm back at the helm of this ship, the ball should start rolling again.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

That's what we like to call BIG DAMAGE :)

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Hope That Satisfied Your Appetites</h3>

There will be more next week..... Promise! :)

Awesome, watching the video now.

Office looks really detailed it's great.

Edit- If the minor weak point turns the power off, can be fixed and there is 3 of them (do all need to be killed or just 1?)

Why not just go for the main weak point?

I'm thinking if you kill all 3 of the minor weak points the allies have to repair all 3 to get power back?

Edited by ChAoS

Guest EVA-251

Amazing work.

The Power Plant looks beyond incredible.

As for the Office Building...I don't know. I would rather have my fellow pimpscripts shooting at the GIs trying to get past the building rather than trying to get a drink from the water dispenser, going "oooh" and "ahhh" at the shiny elevator door or playing on a computer. :D

Guest player1

For the office building is it going to work like you enter in the front door, you take an elevator to that floor in the building and then the front door is sealed?

What we've settled on for now is that the minor weakpoints will die really quickly and cause some bad effect until they're repaired.

No/Low power, Harriers unable to reload, Terror Drones go offline, half/no credits, ect.

And the major weakpoint will knock the building out for good but take about five times longer to die.

Multiple minor weak points give us more options, you'll have to wait and see :p

Guest Pyrodaimon

The power plant is totally awesome. The tunnel outside of the minor weakpoints felt like the inside of a starship or similar. I actually feared a Facehugger would leap to me out of nowhere.

BTW, are you going to redesign the Tesla Reactor too so it has a similar weakpoint system?

Guest Liten

Power Plant looks nice :)

(Did someone log on Xfire during the making of the Video? :D )

Also, OWA, you misspronunced my name in the Podcast :)

Guest BaneOfSorrows

The power plant looks frakking amazing, but why on earth would I want to waste my time killing three minor weak points when I can walk one measley story below and kill one major weak point to take it out for good? I personally think the minor weakpoints should be on the outside of the structure.

Office looks pretty sweet.

Minor weakpoints will allow you to damage the other side quickly and employ hit and run tactics to weaken them before a full scale attack.

The minor weakpoints will die very very very quickly, the major weakpoint wont be viable to destroy on your own unless you're an elite or you're a boris/tanya or an elite boris/tanya o_0

Minor weakpoints will allow you to damage the other side quickly and employ hit and run tactics to weaken them before a full scale attack.

The minor weakpoints will die very very very quickly, the major weakpoint wont be viable to destroy on your own unless you're an elite or you're a boris/tanya or an elite boris/tanya o_0

Exactly, without teammates you won't kill a structure's major weakpoint alone by sticking charges of C4/Dynamites on it. Because you need more than the amount of charges of C4/Dynamites one infantry can carry at once!

You won't see "OMG ONE SEAL IS INSIDE THE TESLA REACTOR WE ARE FUCKED!" Instead.. you will see more teamwork. Because one Navy SEAL can disable the T. Reactor and stay there, killing any techies while the rest of the Allied team rides past the powerless coils... or take teammates with you to the major weakpoint and take it out together <- teamwork needed again. The more teamwork a team has, the more chance to win they will have. No more one lucky Tanya fucking the whole game, you WILL need teamwork :D

And yes Liten, someone logged on xfire while I was in the minor wp room.

Awesome, watching the video now.

Office looks really detailed it's great.

Edit- If the minor weak point turns the power off, can be fixed and there is 3 of them (do all need to be killed or just 1?)

Why not just go for the main weak point?

I'm thinking if you kill all 3 of the minor weak points the allies have to repair all 3 to get power back?

All 3 minor weakpoints need destroying and repairing to take the power offline and put it back on respectively. We may think of something else that happens instead since it's not really that imaginative.

The point of going for the minor weakpoints is that they are a lot weaker than the major ones.

I love that office, really nicely detailed!

W00t no more two windowed patching!!

And i hope you pass the year, or have you already found out?

I haven't found out yet. Fingers crossed!

Um, what about the podcast transcript? D: it's done...

I've just added it to the blog. Sorry about that, I forgot D:

For the office building is it going to work like you enter in the front door, you take an elevator to that floor in the building and then the front door is sealed?

Something like that. We were thinking teleporters to save the trouble of actually using the lift.

The power plant is totally awesome. The tunnel outside of the minor weakpoints felt like the inside of a starship or similar. I actually feared a Facehugger would leap to me out of nowhere.

BTW, are you going to redesign the Tesla Reactor too so it has a similar weakpoint system?

Yeah, we'll be doign that.

Power Plant looks nice :)

(Did someone log on Xfire during the making of the Video? :D )

Also, OWA, you misspronunced my name in the Podcast :)

Not sure.

How do you pronounce your name then?

Guest Liten

How do you pronounce your name then?

We Swedes prounces the "I" different, so it´s not really a Big Deal :) (It should be a long I, i think :), like in "In" :D )

Guest seriousj7

We Swedes prounces the "I" different, so it´s not really a Big Deal :) (It should be a long I, i think :), like in "In" :D )

Inkea? Or Iiiiiikea? :p

Guest AdrwIvrsn

So is your name pronounced seereous yot seiben, seriousj7?

I like how the power plant looks, and the torus hallway looks awesome. Even if it is pointless, I will still expect to see people running in circles around it. However, those people might be doing that because they are lost. Are you going to put exit arrows just in case that happens?

Guest BigOz

God, I cannot wait for it to get textured, If it's anything like Barracks.. it's a paradise! The Barracks were amazingly textured.

Guest BaneOfSorrows

Exactly, without teammates you won't kill a structure's major weakpoint alone by sticking charges of C4/Dynamites on it. Because you need more than the amount of charges of C4/Dynamites one infantry can carry at once!

You won't see "OMG ONE SEAL IS INSIDE THE TESLA REACTOR WE ARE FUCKED!" Instead.. you will see more teamwork. Because one Navy SEAL can disable the T. Reactor and stay there, killing any techies while the rest of the Allied team rides past the powerless coils... or take teammates with you to the major weakpoint and take it out together <- teamwork needed again. The more teamwork a team has, the more chance to win they will have. No more one lucky Tanya fucking the whole game, you WILL need teamwork :D

Problem is, one Navy SEAL could destroy a structure completely by himself in RA2. I suppose for the sake of gameplay this will not be possible?

If so, I really hope that at least a lone Tanya can single-handedly destroy a structure...

Guest BaneOfSorrows

That makes sense. As long as Tanya and Boris can do it I'll be happy.

Will those units be able to take out multiple buildings by themselves, or just one?

It's subject to change later when we bring them into the game, but seeing as how we're adamant that there will only be a single tanya and boris ingame at anytime you can count on them being able to cause alot of havoc in an enemy base.

For now i'm going to say yes, but they wont instantly destroy a building, the main balancing point is that they'll be vulnerable while destroying a building, boris for example will have to keep the laser pointer on the building meaning he cant use his AK and what we're going to do for tanya remains to be seen, i'm kind of against disarming bombs, particularly with a blow torch >.<

Guest NX01class

Question though. In the pod cast, you said spies will be able to enter and IFV and look like enemy vehs. Will dogs still be the only thing that can see them or will something else be allowed to see spy tanks?

Guest Black-Cloak

I think that garrisonable buildings should work like this,when a conscript goes inside a building,the building will then only allow other conscripts inside the building(same with GI),while inside,the conscripts will be invulnerable (the building however will not) (cant clear garrisons with splash damage or desolator deploying).

At approximatly 35% health the building will eject the conscripts inside. On a map with a garrisonable building near each ore field,it would be important to be the first one in that building. Buildings like the sears tower (a HUGE tower in RedAlert2 that gave you a GPS esque ability to see the entire map) would be benificial to the first team to garrison it (a view that allows you to see the opponents and your base).

Edited by Black-Cloak

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Personally don't like the spy-tank idea. :/

The other consideration was making a radar jammer (that's obviously buffed to give it some use). Perhaps both ideas should be tested to see how it works out.