Ask an expert

Hey All,

So i've briefly discussed this in the tutorial announcement topic. I think it would be great to have a centralised thread that we can all ask W3D/Modelling/Texturing related questions. We have some real talent in this community and i personally want to extract as much valuable knowledge from them as i can without littering the forums too much.

If the admins are cool with this, it would be good to have this made sticky.

I'll get the ball rolling:

Q1. Specular mapping - Can W3D handle it? I've seen somewhere that it can, and i've seen somewhere that it can't. If someone could answer this it would be very helpful?

Q2. Normal/Bump Mapping - Can W3D handle it? Is it just a case of loading a normal map into the materials editor as shown in my screenshot:

post-10200-0-50349900-1426869357_thumb.jpg

I will have more questions as time goes on :)

Thanks in advance

To both of your questions:

Not in 4.x or below. 5.x will support it, but that is not public yet. Details will not be revealed for this reason.

Normal mapping is supported in 3.4.4.

How is it implemented? As per my screenshot?

To both of your questions:

Not in 4.x or below. 5.x will support it, but that is not public yet. Details will not be revealed for this reason.

Normal mapping is supported in 3.4.4.

How is it implemented? As per my screenshot?

Nah, you had to run a separate tool to set them up. If I recall correctly you took the name of a texture and then you associated the name of the normal map you wanted it to render with. But hardly anyone uses 3.4.4 anymore so it really doesn't matter much that it had it.