Tiberian Sun DIAL UP with smartphone(?)

Hi guys,

as you already saw (and hopefully know), we were able long years ago, to play with our friend via dial-up which was a lot cheaper IF you had something like a flatrate or else.

The thing is, my gf don't own an access point in any way, she only have the smartphone but their cell-towers are too far away to have a stable connection OR the town is messed up somehow but forget it.

The point is that calling with her works perfectly so I guess that if I use to play via dial-up, it shouldn't make any problems.

However, I don't really know how it could realize that, maybe someone from you is a better nerd than me and can help me with this problem.

I know it very obsolete but I have my reasons why I wanna do this in that way.

So you want to use the phone's internet connection to play a game, correct? Are you talking about our game TSR or the original Tiberian Sun? I would imagine that the original TS game would probably be playable over dial-up (though this isn't really dial-up here), but you would probably have a great deal of lag trying to play any FPS game over that type of connection. The reason is that while you might be able to get good bandwidth, the latency would be fairly high. (bandwidth is the size of your pipe, latency is how long it takes stuff to travel through it)

Not sure what you mean by dial up, sounds like your trying to use the phone as a hotspot/tethering?

I would tether if possible, it should be more stable

I don't know how TS is but when I play yuri's revenge over a lan connection about 50% of my games have at least one player booted, haven't played online as much though so I cant say about that I assume the networking in the games is quite similar.

If the cell towers are too far away for a stable connection, tethering won't do much good.

For dialup to work, you'd probably need a dialup modem and the works.

For your GF to access the world, and more importantly, you, she should probably work towards the means to gain an access point.

Her only access point is GPRS... and even my nokia (speaking of old nokia which were used by Laden in their cave if you know, what I mean or how should they upload their videos?) failed to have something more then EDGE...

Perfect place for kids who should learn, that there is another world except facebook...

So if'm right, we need original 56k modems with SIM-Card support (or just a internet stick?) for doing the dial up..

Nobody tried once to dial up with... forgot, everyone have minimum PPPoE so they never needed to dial up with someone ^^

The last time I played C&C games over dialup, I was a teenager, probably half my current age. I remember needing to fiddle with it a lot to get it working. And this was back when dialup was the thing. Nowadays I'd have no idea what to expect, or if it'd even work, considering the patches that the games have gone through to add support for the more progressive internet forms.

The last time I played C&C games over dialup, I was a teenager, probably half my current age. I remember needing to fiddle with it a lot to get it working. And this was back when dialup was the thing. Nowadays I'd have no idea what to expect, or if it'd even work, considering the patches that the games have gone through to add support for the more progressive internet forms.

Time when we yelled the whole home down because he/she should stop/finish their phone call ^^