[Game Over] RA:APB-themed Mafia Game VII (B0tes Edition!)

VERTi60

1 minute ago, JackoDerp said:

I honestly think thats a terrible idea.

Nothing says "come kill us Allies" like putting a giant target on ourselves.

Well, by default, I'd suggest doing *neither* of these things, but I think this way would be preferable to shooting first and asking questions later.

That said, I feel with what Verti has said, Allies probably have more of a traditional NK that doesn't need location.

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

Well, by default, I'd suggest doing *neither* of these things, but I think this way would be preferable to shooting first and asking questions later.

That said, I feel with what Verti has said, Allies probably have more of a traditional NK that doesn't need location.

He already said it functioned in a similar manner to the day lynch, so it’s actaully possible that killing a specified player will remove the NK from the game.

1 minute ago, Shade939 said:

He already said it functioned in a similar manner to the day lynch, so it’s actaully possible that killing a specified player will remove the NK from the game.

Have you ever seen Office Space?  I feel like you're the guy who invents the "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

Have you ever seen Office Space?  I feel like you're the guy who invents the "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

It makes sense considering the day lynch is tied to the airfield, and Scum should still have units with the Shoot action if they lost the NK similar to us with losing the day lynch.

2 minutes ago, Shade939 said:

It makes sense considering the day lynch is tied to the airfield, and Scum should still have units with the Shoot action if they lost the NK similar to us with losing the day lynch.

Maybe you're more like the Wormhole Aliens from DS9 with their nonlinear time, but the point stands you could do with posting more than a sentence at once :p

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Maybe you're more like the Wormhole Aliens from DS9 with their nonlinear time, but the point stands you could do with posting more than a sentence at once :p

I might also be hoping that’s how it works, because it’s not much of a battleship game with the instant kills at play. :v

Just now, Jeod said:

I dunno Orange, you're pretty quick to dismiss the possibility that Allies have a NK mechanic similar to our Airfield.

Upon rereading I'm more open to the idea, but it's not like I can't *not* dig at Shade.  You know how it goes.

Just now, Jeod said:

I understand. I, too, enjoy digging at Shade. :v

I do have a plan in mind. Who's heard of the "checkerboard method"? It plays into the spy plane's mechanic quite well.

We have different unit sizes, so odds are we’d find the airfield first out of everything in game.

I'm still not sold on firing to find targets though, because, as indicated on the D0 post, if we hit something, it doesn't tell us WHAT we hit.  So literally all we're doing is making people easier to kill.

Which might be a good thing for mid-late game, so I won’t complain if we have something like a max of four people shoot today.

Just now, Shade939 said:

You also have to keep in mind that if the airfield is eliminated, then the only way to eliminate Scum would be the classic battleship method. So we shouldn’t completely ignore that possibility at least.

But, as was stated just a few posts ago, by scouting around we're all the more likely to expose the airfield first :p

There is no progress for either side without scouting. You're asking the spy plane to do nothing at night with the logic you're following.

Allies have a targeted nightkill, it doesn't matter whether they know our coordinates or not. Finding coordinates helps us in the end--for scum, coordinates only assist their dayshots, and if they open fire on anyone without just cause, they've volunteered to be lynched. There is only one thing the Allies can gain from coordinate hunting, and that's the position of the Airfield.

The reason coordinates help us is because of the majority role, the Attack Sub. At the moment, all Attack Subs are surfaced, not submerged. However, I expect most Attack Subs to submerge in the first night phase. Read the rules for the Attack Sub and you'll see that if one surfaces and its coordinate was hit in a previous day, it will be detected--also known as confirmed role.

This is how we narrow down our suspects, because though it seems like a cop, the Spy Plane does not reveal alignment.

But, as was stated just a few posts ago, by scouting around we're all the more likely to expose the airfield first :p

So some caution and moderation is advised in terms of who’s shooting and who’s not. Try to get the best of both possible outcomes if we can.

1 minute ago, Jeod said:

There is no progress for either side without scouting. You're asking the spy plane to do nothing at night with the logic you're following.

Allies have a targeted nightkill, it doesn't matter whether they know our coordinates or not. Finding coordinates helps us in the end--for scum, coordinates only assist their dayshots, and if they open fire on anyone without just cause, they've volunteered to be lynched. There is only one thing the Allies can gain from coordinate hunting, and that's the position of the Airfield.

The reason coordinates help us is because of the majority role, the Attack Sub. At the moment, all Attack Subs are surfaced, not submerged. However, I expect most Attack Subs to submerge in the first night phase. Read the rules for the Attack Sub and you'll see that if one surfaces and its coordinate was hit in a previous day, it will be detected--also known as confirmed role.

This is how we narrow down our suspects, because though it seems like a cop, the Spy Plane does not reveal alignment.

You overlook the other targeted kill, the lynch though :p

We could use the submerge then surface method, true, but while submerged the subs can't fire, drastically reducing how fast the grid gets scouted.  To that end as well, if we take the number of players, factor in lynches and night kills, we pretty much always reach the end game anyway before the grid gets anywhere close to being narrowed down.

2 minutes ago, Jeod said:

It’s limited effectiveness since a player couldn’t shoot the coordinates they’re in while they’re submerged, so someone has to get lucky or reveal their role and ask to be shot.

1 minute ago, Shade939 said:

It’s limited effectiveness since a player couldn’t shoot the coordinates they’re in while they’re submerged, so someone has to get lucky or reveal their role and ask to be shot.

Ani-edgeworth-young-finger.gif

You've hit the nail on the head. Precisely, the Attack Subs wishing to be confirmed role through this method must ask to be shot. An astute player would have already noticed my softclaim. Care to put two and two together? 

1 hour ago, VERTi60 said:

Naval Combat Rules:

• At the beginning of each day, all hits that happened during the Night will be highlighted on Naval Map. Air unit(s) will reveal all detected units as well as ground/water tiles that were revealed by scout action. Units that appear on explored tiles will be detected as well (for example if the Attack Submarine surfaces).
  • All players that have ##SHOOT action can shoot each day, but only once.
  • If you attempt to ##SHOOT at yourself, there is a 50% chance of killing yourself with one shot.
  • Each ##SHOOT action will highlight the quadrant the shot came from.
  • Each #SHOOT action requires target coordinates and they will reveal a tile on the Naval Map - either Water or Ground (No Hit) or Hit (this will not reveal ground or water, so you can't use the combat action to prove if you are naval anti ground or just naval).
  • Ground tiles won't display ridge details until surrounding water is discovered/reveal so that you can't guess the topology of islands on the map instantly.
  • Only destroyed units will reveal player ID, alignment and role/unit type. Hit units will not reveal any of this.

Just FYI, ^ Keep an eye on this during Day posts ^, I might update it as the game develops.

27 minutes ago, Jeod said:

Ani-edgeworth-young-finger.gif

You've hit the nail on the head. Precisely, the Attack Subs wishing to be confirmed role through this method must ask to be shot. An astute player would have already noticed my softclaim. Care to put two and two together? 

Are you claiming to be a vanilla attack sub...