Blog 68 (13/02/08)

Welcome to this week's blog! It was my birthday yesterday so I'm now 18 and legal in america! Time flies eh?

Anyway, on with the blog!

<h3>Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock...</h3>

This week, we have been mostly building explosives! The first one we have for you is Crazy Ivan's larger, timed dynamite pack. This will be ideal for taking out buildings, bridges and fortified postitions. These will be limited in supply.

BigIvanBomb-1.png

Secondly, Ivan will carry a much smaller triple stick of dynamite which he will be able to stick onto infantry and tanks for maximum carnage. Ivan will carry an infinite amount of these explosives to make him unique to play as well as give a good reason for his name.

SmallIvanBomb-1.png

We are still debating whether or not to supply Ivan with a knife for some sneaky quick kills. He does carry a knife in the single concept shot concerning him.

<h3>Building Soviet Economy!</h3>

That's right, I have done a number on the warminer and increased the awesomeness of the model so that it is a lot more detailed and has that certain soviet flair to it. The changed includes a completly remodelled front section, tracks and wheels. With edits being made to the turret and back section. This heavyweight of the soviet economy is back and ready to rumble with the best of them. As usual, the War Miner is the source of your basic economy as a soviet player. It is armed with a heavy machine gun to deal with early game infantry rushes easily. This miner can also gain veterancy like any other weaponed unit. When it hits elite status, the miner will gain access to a cannon, to replace it's machine gun, that will deal significant damage to vehicles. Allied tanks beware!

warminerfinal-1.png

<h3>A little C4 knockin' atcha door!</h3>

Aramour/Poggel has modelled the SEAL's C4 charge and detonator for us. A certain number of C4 charges will be required to level a building, so the SEAL will be equipped with the sufficient amount of charges for one building destruction.

The C4 will be a hybrid of remote and timed C4. You will place the C4 charge and to start the timer you will have to arm it with the detonator.

Here's some pretty pics.

C4_WIP_7.pngC4_WIP_9.png

Tanya will use a similar type of C4, but we'll reveal the details to that in a later blog.

<h3>Launcher</h3>

Katz/Jayrun has been working on developing a launcher for AR that is similar to that of APB's. This has been made using the graphics from the RA2 archive files as well as Kat's delphi coding skills. Hat's off to that man! This was previewed to us today, so now you can get a glimpse of what you'll be loading up AR to when it is released :D

post-3136-1202924871.jpg

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm 18 now! I got lots of money from my family and friends as well as a book on foreign mistranslations, a Duff t-shirt and from Shannon, the bioware game, 'The Witcher' Party at my house tommorrow, wooo!

Pete's bringing his whale steaks round for a second barbeque! Roll up roll up! He also sold half the whale on eBay and bought himself a new quad core. Shiny!

danpaul88 coded a dat file patcher that can more effectively patch the bigger files used by the current w3d FPS engine.

dtrngd has been learning to texturise. Check it out.

LeAlex has resigned from his post of texture artist. Good luck wherever you go!

TheBeerinator is under judgement as a potential staff member. Our verdict will be announced soon!

Happy valentines day for tommorrow, make sure to wish your forum buddies the best via this thread!

<h3>OWA's Community Love Shack</h3>

love%20shack%20copy.jpg

Mathk1ll came to me to say that Scud Storm and Star Wars mod are in need of people to work on them, since their development team is miniscule. If you think you have what it takes to fix these old relics up, go and make an application over at http://scudstorm.team-nx.com/forums/index.php

Red Alert 3 looks awesome. People have been going "OMG BHP have a new project now". My answer is this. None of us are stupid enough to start a new project at this stage whilst we still have two projects in the making. Who knows what may happen after both projects are relatively complete.

<h3>Blast from the Past</h3>

This week, let's take a look at Scud Storm.

Scud Storm is a mod that takes the dubious C&C Generals universe and puts them into an FPS packege. The curent build is an alpha version that was released last year by Laeubi. The mod has since been taken over by Neo Games and is in semi-active development.

My idea of Scud Storm has always been that it looks like crap and plays like crap, but what it does featurewise is incredibly clever. For example, you can build more Ai supply units, capture oil derricks, use EMP weapons, target superweapons without a beacon, change your vehicle depending which General character you put inside it, upgrade your vehicles, build defences with the dozers and be warned when something is blocking the purchase zone: Something that APB currently lacks.

So to round it up, Scud Storm is like a big and ugly but remakably clever person. It's a pity it was never beautified somewhat.

Grab it here.

<h3>Bombs Away!</h3>

KABOOM!

Dynamite stick look so damn nice!

New warminer looks so much better

SEAL C4 is epic!

Love the launcher!!!

Happy Birthday for yesterday OWA, hope you had a great day mate :D

Another epic blog!!! Kepp up the work guys!

Guest Deadpikle

I see you went for the pointy arm on the clock OWA! It looks berry nice :D

^5 to beer!

And....launcher looks great as well. AR is shaping up!

Yay blog

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

Love those dynamite, although I don't think ivan should get a knife, afterall he is not assassin, "just" a demolition expert, and without it will require more teamwork to use him, as he can't defend himself that well, once he is spotted. Also will the enemy be able to see the dynamites that stick on to there units?

LOL remote timed C4??? but looks nice

Love that launcher

Also good luck beer with getting in, I hope you make it.

Shame there is too long to get to your house for tomorrow OWA :D

the idea is that the timer wont activate until you hit the button and that there wont be an announcement until the timer is active.

Therefore you'll be able to plan distractions and generaly keep the soviets running in circles trying to find the C4 before it goes off.

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

the idea is that the timer wont activate until you hit the button and that there wont be an announcement until the timer is active.

Therefore you'll be able to plan distractions and generaly keep the soviets running in circles trying to find the C4 before it goes off.

nice, lol so in theory you could demolish all there buildings in one go, and they wont know before you set them all to count, then it is to decide what you want to save, as you properly wont be able to save it all MUHAHAHAA

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

I am still going to use the big dymanity on infantry. Just spam the buildings with small cute dynamite.

well I am sure they though about that, maybe the small dynamite do no or VERY VERY little damage to buildings? Or something, so you had to put a million of them there, and by that time you can be sure that you would have been noticed

Guest Xenon560

Nice blog again AR Team! :D

I recon that Tanya should have enough charges of C4 to blow up 2 buildings or maybe 1 building and like 80% - 90% damage to a second one.

Why will the crazy ivan be able to destroy more buildings without refilling than the navy seal when they both could destroy unlimited amounts but you are making the navy seal only be able to destroy 1 building?

Guest Allie29

Why will the crazy ivan be able to destroy more buildings without refilling than the navy seal when they both could destroy unlimited amounts but you are making the navy seal only be able to destroy 1 building?

The SEAL has the ability to own any infantry coming at them. Crazy Ivan, you'd have to hope the enemy comes close and you can dodge them for however long the explosives take.

Guest that1guy

Can't wait to slap C4 and Dynamite on people. (the timed/remote C4 being my favorite to put on people) :)

.....of course that would somehow wind up with me getting blown up with my own explosives somehow. :D

Will the dynamite/C4 harm friendly units?

If not, then I gots an idea for Ivan:

Simply stick dynamite on friendly units and have them run after the enemy! (reminds me of the terrorist)

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

Can't wait to slap C4 and Dynamite on people. (the timed/remote C4 being my favorite to put on people) :)

.....of course that would somehow wind up with me getting blown up with my own explosives somehow. :D

Will the dynamite/C4 harm friendly units?

If not, then I gots an idea for Ivan:

Simply stick dynamite on friendly units and have them run after the enemy! (reminds me of the terrorist)

Remind me of Renegade, with remote or proxy on APC's or SBH's

Edited by =NX=VinGummi2

Guest Deadpikle

Remind me of Renegade, with remote or proxy on APC's or SBH's

The flaming APC/sbh/etc? That was good times...heh.

Also, that is a good point. Tiny dynamite for tiny infantry, big dynamite for big stuff. :X