Blog 83 (28/05/08)

Guest Gibbletsb

Powder Bombs......Hell Yeah. Give the conscript a chance to advance on deployed GI's if you have enough consripts to throw them. Like a smoke bomb

How easy is it to head shot deployed GI/GGIs? I just fear they might turn out to be underused when slightly experienced players can HS their deployed mode with ease.

Well the idea is that the GI / GGI will be able to move around a little bit and duck under their sandbags / walls to take cover from enemy fire, so it really depends on the skill of the person inside the sandbags / walls. Although spraying fire over the top of them will keep the person inside from being able to stand up and return fire without taking damage. The best way to take them out if they are ducking is probably to run right up to the sandbags / walls and shoot over them down at the person inside. This all needs testing and such.

Also we might make it so that bullets can pass through small gaps between sandbags, so a deployed GI is not totally immune to bullets while crouching, but the inaccuracy of enemy weapons at range means only a couple of shots are going to get through. Again, this is not set in stone.

What if Guardian GIs get head-shotted by tanks when they are deployed?

They take a shitload of damage is what happens. Try not to get HS by a tank, or anything else for that matter :p

To whoever said we're going like reborn:

Everything we've put in so far has had some basis in RA2, wether from concept art or from the game.

Techies = in RA2 FMV and you command them in one allied mission.

Rocketeer Grenade Launcher = Concept art.

Powder Bomb = OWA showed the pic for that :D

Ivan Knife = Concept art.

And as for the whole Rocketeer deal, it worries me, to see you guys considering concepts and maybes over what is really in the game. It reminds me of another similar standalone...

First

All of that mumbo-jumbo boils down to this- The Rocketeer had a bullet weapon in RA2 and not a grenade launcher of any sort.

I don't believe that he had a bullet weapon, judging from the name of the weapon in RA2, 20mm. If the rocketeer were to have a bullet weapon, he'd have a gun much like this (takes four men to fire), with a bullet much like this. The theory behind our compromise is that the Rocketeer didn't fire in a burst or full auto mode in RA2 and there was a pretty big muzzleflash when the weapon was fired, to suggest more of a shell or mini RPG type of weapon. It'd be pretty silly to call something that fires like that a "bullet" weapon, hence our logic. Names aside though, it looks and plays how it was in RA2 in releation to the ingame graphics and the concept art. We did our best to think logically on this one.

And if possible, you should make it impossible to allow mode changes for advanced infantry classes in IFVs. GIs and Technicians should be the only ones able to switch modes (don't depress me anymore by saying that the Techie will provide an IFV mode). I'd find it quite...inconvenient to have that elite SEAL IFV switch over to its insane, building slaughtering, Kirov-downing 4-missile pod after gunning down 3/4ths of my team.

There is a 10 second delay between changing turrets. In this peroid, the IFV is left unarmed and open to fire.

Yes to tesla arm punch. and I waver on the powder bombs.

If you want this to be a mod, make it different from APB. We want new and inventive things so that people who play it aren't like "OMG ITS A SPED UP APB CLONE WITH DIFFERENT STUFF!!" So don't make it like *Reborn which has new infantry and some cool spy and building stuff that will be coming out in the next patch, or like *APB's MUST STICK TO CANNON, NO DEVIATIONS ALLOWED PERIOD!!, do something different with the units them selves.

*this is not to start a shit fest.

It already is a mod. Also, I don't see how this could possibly be an APB clone. The economy and damage models are radically differant in their own ways, and there are a lot of features that you won't see in any other w3d mod. For example, basic infantry deploying for a tactical advantage and other such things. We are letting ourselves have some fun with the canon of the universe by including the various additions to the, already fun, Red Alert 2 game concept. What would you suggest we do differantly? It is all very well saying "do something differant with the units themselves" but ask yourself this question: Wasn't RA2 original enough for you?

No one asking questions? I guess I will!

How easy is it to head shot deployed GI/GGIs? I just fear they might turn out to be underused when slightly experienced players can HS their deployed mode with ease.

What if Guardian GIs get head-shotted by tanks when they are deployed?

Will the rocketeer grenades be anti vehicle or infantry? Is the damage somewhat similar to the APB grenadier?

Engineers capturing buildings? OMGWTFBBQ, explain!

1. It's fairly tricky to hit a deployed GI if he ducks currently. This is made even trickier with the fact that there are no sniper units in AR apart from the British Sniper which has a 1/5 chance of featuring in a game.

2. Then they will take a lot of damage

3. More anti infantry, but he'll also be able to deal light damage to buildings and vehicles.

4. You'll be able to capture tech structures like the oil derrick, secret lab, airport, outpost etc.

OWA

Will the cell-shading be available to those without shader capabilities? I didn't think of that ealier.

It's most probably going to be a shader effect I'm afraid. But have no fear! I'll make sure that it can be toggled on and off!

Guest Zarconium

Dang, Ive been waiting for this and finally! :)

I'd say no to the powder bombs, although its a great way of taking out those pesky deployed GIs :D

Does the Rocketeer change pose when switching from walking mode to flightmode and vice versa?

Will AR feature Boris, Giant Squid and Dolphin?

Dang, Ive been waiting for this and finally! :)

I'd say no to the powder bombs, although its a great way of taking out those pesky deployed GIs :D

Does the Rocketeer change pose when switching from walking mode to flightmode and vice versa?

Will AR feature Boris, Giant Squid and Dolphin?

1. Yeah, he should hopefully change pose. This is all to be developed.

2. Yes, Yes and Yes!

Guest BaneOfSorrows

This is the mod to end all mods. I can hardly handle how insanely epic this is gonna be!

buuuuuuut one question...you say engineers will be able to capture buildings, yes? is this only tech structures, or enemy structures as well? and if you can capture enemy structures, will there be some sort of tactical advantage to it?

...i guess that was technically 3 questions...

:D

Guest EVA-251

I don't believe that he had a bullet weapon, judging from the name of the weapon in RA2, 20mm. If the rocketeer were to have a bullet weapon, he'd have a gun much like this (takes four men to fire), with a bullet much like this. The theory behind our compromise is that the Rocketeer didn't fire in a burst or full auto mode in RA2 and there was a pretty big muzzleflash when the weapon was fired, to suggest more of a shell or mini RPG type of weapon. It'd be pretty silly to call something that fires like that a "bullet" weapon, hence our logic. Names aside though, it looks and plays how it was in RA2 in releation to the ingame graphics and the concept art. We did our best to think logically on this one.

Awhile I did use the weapon name as a justification, one should take Westwood's weapon naming conventions with a grain of salt.

-For example, the Siege Chopper, with a 160mm Cannon when even the horribly done unit section of the original RA2 site says it has a 155mm cannon. Or the GI mix up, with the Para Machine Pistol and M60 MG being mixed up in their naming.

-Take for example the Destroyer's 155mm cannon, which would be more appropriately named 1.55mm cannon, for the overall damage it did to targets. Or the Conscripts M1Carbine.

With the rocketeer...

And the thing is, it was a bullet weapon. There is no way to dispute it. Westwood had 7 decent, small explosion animations that could of been utilized for the Rocketeer's "Mini-RPG" or Grenade, and those are just the very bottom, smallest animations. PIFFPIFF is intended for MG type weaponry.

But I have sworn I've said some of this in the past- its your mod/standalone/game/whatever, and your choice to be true to RA2, or have Rocketeers raining explosives upon bomb lobbing Conscripts.

But I have sworn I've said some of this in the past- its your mod/standalone/game/whatever, and your choice to be true to RA2, or have Rocketeers raining explosives upon bomb lobbing Conscripts.

I'll get a video for the next blog or something that shows the rocketeer's firing mode, then you can judge for yourself.

Guest Allie29

I'm happy with it being a grenade. This will GREATLY prevent what is happening in Reborn, with jumpjets raining headshots upon everyone.

Also what OWA didn't mention was that, like RA2, the Rocketeers range is very limited, so if they want to damage a target they have to get fairly close to it, which gives the enemy a better chance of hitting it when fighting back.

This is the mod to end all mods. I can hardly handle how insanely epic this is gonna be!

buuuuuuut one question...you say engineers will be able to capture buildings, yes? is this only tech structures, or enemy structures as well? and if you can capture enemy structures, will there be some sort of tactical advantage to it?

...i guess that was technically 3 questions...

:)

Tech structures only. capturing enemy structures isn't that feasible, as you can't sell them or build more big structures (in the case of the conyard).

Ooops, I forgot! Why not renaming Tesla Trooper's weapon Tesla Gauntlet instead of "glove"?

That's the word I was looking for! Thankyou!

question - if the Soviets steal a battle fortress will there units work in it or will the allies weapons stay intact?

Sorry about that WallYWooD, I must have missed your post :D

Load it with soviet infantry and watch the motherland wreak havoc!

Guest Srowell3

brilliant work here guys. just one thought being a webmaster myself. Wont separating APB and AR slow down traffic for both sites? Most of the staff are working on both projects. A seperate front page for AR would work but having a second set of forums is not a good idea. Good luck with whatever choices you make but just keep traffic and community in mind!

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

brilliant work here guys. just one thought being a webmaster myself. Wont separating APB and AR slow down traffic for both sites? Most of the staff are working on both projects. A seperate front page for AR would work but having a second set of forums is not a good idea. Good luck with whatever choices you make but just keep traffic and community in mind!

so far I understood it will be same forums just a seperate homepage

so far I understood it will be same forums just a seperate homepage

Yeah, same forum, differant homepages.