Blog 86 (18/06/08)

Welcome to this week's blog. After this week, you can expect a little more dedication from me, as I will have finished college for good! But enough of this! Let's blog!

<h3>Mod Overview #2: Vehicles</h3>

Here we go, I've discussed the infantry units in depth, so here we go! The vehicle overview.

Now, vehicles will be constructed in the war factory and will drive out of the big doors, just like in RA2, but also intersting is the way that aircraft are build in the war factory. they will fly out of the top of the factory as the top doors open out. The Nighthawk transport (and later the Kirov Airship and Siege Chopper) will use this to make a grand entrance to the game world.

Now let me tell you a few things about vehicles!

<h4>Allied Vehicles</h4>

Chrono Miner

Cost: 1400

Primary Weapon: N/A

Description: The Chrono Miner uses the time-warp technology, brought through by the development of the chronosphere, to bring back ore as quickly and efficiently as possible. However, the equipment used to warp the Chrono Miner back to the refinery is quite bulky, therefore the unit can only hold half the ore that the soviet War Miner can. Chrono Miners cannot be promoted.

Operation: To warp the Chrono Miner back to the refinery at anytime, click either of the mouse buttons.

Grizzly Battle Tank

Cost: 700

Primary Weapon: 105mm Cannon

Description: Capable at both offense and defense the Grizzly is the standard, all-purpose Allied tank. It has fairly decent armour and is very fast on it's treads, allowing it to be a great vehicle to use for hit-and-run tactics.

IFV (Infantry Fighting Vehicle)

Cost: 600

Primary Weapon: Transforming Turret

Description: The IFV is the most versatile vehicle on the battlefield (except for the Battle Fortress), it is also one of the fastest. The IFV has the neat ability to change it's turret based on which infantry class is put inside of it, allowing for a unit that has the potential to adapt to any situation on the battlefield.

Operation: You buy an IFV and enter it with, for example, a GI. The turret stays as the default, rocket turret until you push "Q" initiating the transformation sequence. In this period, your IFV is still mobile, but it cannot return fire. The transformation sequence takes around 10 seconds to complete. Then you have your unique infantry turret, more about this below. To defualt back to the rocket turret, you push "Q" again and your IFV goes through the transformation sequence once again (around 10 seconds). We hope that this system will make the IFV as versatile as possible without making the unit too absurdly adaptable in the heat of battle.

IFV Combos

IFV + Technician = Nothing

IFV + Engineer = Repair IFV (Tanks and possibly buildings)

IFV + GI = Machine Gun IFV

IFV + Guardian GI = Stronger Rocket IFV

IFV + Rocketeer = Rocketeer Gun IFV

IFV + SEAL = Machine Gun IFV (super effective vs infantry)

IFV + Conscript = Machine Gun IFV

IFV + Flak Trooper = Flak Cannon IFV

IFV + Tesla Trooper = Tesla IFV (reminicient of RA1's Tesla Tank)

IFV + Crazy Ivan = Demo IFV

Nighthawk Transport

Cost: 1000

Primary Weapon: M197 Gatling Gun

Description: The Nighthawk is a massive, twin-rotor helicopter that is used for transporting infantry around the battlefield quickly. This puts the Allies at an advantage when moving between islands and such. Since the Nighthawk is so big, it is highly vulnerable to enemy AA fire. The Nighthawk can carry 5 infantry and a single driver (not final yet, the number needs to be tested). The minigun is effective against infantry and lightly armoured targets, pity that the Soviets aren't that fond of light armour eh :)

Harrier

Cost: 1200

Primary Weapon: Maverick Missiles

Description: This swift VTOL attack jet is effective at hit-and-run attacks against enemy installations, striking with four maverick missiles. when this unit is bought, it rises up from the depths of the air force command headquarters, making a grand entrance.

Operation: The Harrier isn't designed to land anywhere but the ACFHQ. How we will limit this is still unknown, what we do know is that the Harrier will only be able to deploy it's landing gear when over the ACFHQ's landing pad, where it also refills it's missile payload. We may also let it land onto the Allied Service Depot for repairs.

<h4>Soviet Vehicles</h4>

War Miner

Cost: 1400

Primary Weapon: Turreted Machine Gun, 120mm Cannon

Description: Unlike he Chrono Miner, the war miner has a turreted machine gun which can be used to mow down infantry. Once a War Miner has been fully promoted, it gains a weapon that is similar to that of the Rhino Tank.

Rhino Heavy Tank

Cost: 900

Primary Weapon: 120mm Cannon

Description: The Rhino Tank is the Soviet's main battle tank. It is fairly slow, but pretty durable, with good firepower. It is the Soviet tank of choice when opting for a nicely balanced tank with which to attack and defend against enemy armour.

Flak Track

Cost: 500

Primary Weapon: Flak Cannon

Description: The Flak Track is a fast APC-type unit that is effective against enemy infantry and aircraft. The primary firing mode shoots out a big ball of flak, in an arc, that is used to take on ground units, which has a fair amount of splash damage. The secondary firing mode is a fast, clustered, straight flak shot that is effective at taking down aircraft and rocketeers. Think of the unit as a powerful flak trooper on tracks. A group of Flak Tracks is the Allied Air Force's worst nightmare. The Flak Track can carry 5 infantry and a single driver (not final yet, the number needs to be tested).

V3 Rocket Launcher

Cost: 800

Primary Weapon: V3 Rocket

Description: The V3 Rocket Launcher can launch V3 missiles at a long range. These rockets are slow, but devastating against enemy structures. The V3 is fairly slow, so make sure to support it when raiding the enemy base. The V3 fire's it's rocket in an arc. watch out though, since the rocket can be shot down by enemy AA fire.

Operation: To fix the aiming problem that Renegade has, we have come up with a solution. To aim the rocket on the vertical axis, you need to use keys (probaly + and -) to set the V3 launching rack to the desired height. This will allow your camera to become free to look around and check your trajectory, making aiming easier.

Terror Drone

Cost: 500

Primary Weapon: Drone Jump

Description: The Terror Drone is a cybernetic, spider-like, Soviet unit that scurries across the battlefield at great speeds. To attack, it launches itself at enemy tanks, jumping inside of them and internally dismantling them. Terror Drones cannot function without a Radar Tower. Allies can purge their vehicles of Terror Drones by repairing their vehicles on the Service Depot or with Repair IFVs.

Operation: The Terror Drone is bought using a terminal in the Soviet Radar Tower. The operator stands at the terminal and controls the terror drone via remote control. The operator can be killed whilst controlling the Terror Drone. If this happens, the Terror Drone will go offline until control is resumed. If the base goes into low power, the Terror Drone is unaffected due to it's onboard batteries and the backup generator for the terminals (and Spy Plane controls) at the Radar Tower.

<h3>Sounds just like people getting shot!</h3>

danpaul88 has just whipped up some new scripts that allow us to make twiddlers for individual unit sounds, such as dying, being shot and more! Check out these videos he recorded of each's faction's current sounds!

Allied.pngSoviet.png

Hey! Listen!: Click the Soviet icon for the Soviet faction video and the Allied icon for the Allied faction video. (Thanks for the icons k1llz0ne ^_^)

Note: grunt_grunt.wav (the uuunnngh sound) will be taken out. It'll be so much better without it.

<h3>As Night Falls...</h3>

dtrngd has been playing around in level edit and has found a lovely lighting setting that emulates RA2 quite nicely. As most of you probably remember, at night, the lighting on RA2 went rather blue. So, instead of the bland Renegade Night setting, we have this nice, cold, eerie blue night, which will feature in all most of (if not all of) AR's night based maps. Comparisons with Renegade are shown below!

Renenight_1.jpg

Renegade Night

ARnight_1.jpg

Apocalypse Rising Night

<h3>Walled In</h3>

I've recently been adapting the model for the Soviet Walls, that I recieved from TheKGBspy. Besides a few scaling issues, this is the final model for the Soviet Walls that you will see ingame. renders in normal clay and cel shading (which I have an announcement to make about in a future blog)!

SovietWall-1.pngSovietcelwall-1.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

My last exam is on Friday! Yay! To celebrate, we are all going into town to see Pendulum! (Don't know how they managed to get them to play, but hey 'sall good).

cfehunter has been working on his coursework and has nearly finished for the academic year!

dtrngd has spent his time slaying Chevy787 and then being slayed back. Oh yeah, he has also been mapping too!

Chevy787 has gone to the beach for 3 days (to escape from dtrngd and his sword :) ), so he'll be back soon. Pray that he does not get captured by pirates. I heard they like to stalk beaches.

TheBeerinator graduated a while back, but I forgot to mention it. Congratulations man! :D

Tankmaster has been building our release installer. It's plain awesome and I think you guys will love it.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Since I love the Metal Gear Solid games, it is time to put your controller on the floor. No tricks, this is true power.

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>The End</h3>

Time to return to the spirits of the forest.

I bid you farewell for now.

i really like the IFV ideas ...and i love the repairing buildings idea with the engi.+ IFV i hope you guys keep that... the allied video doesnt work :D ....and thats just a lol consript skin ...right?

BTW awesome blog ....i got my fix :)

Guest EVA-251

Nice blog, but I have a few issues with it

1- SEAL model- I thought you were going to change the ugly helmet. SEALs didn't seem to wear helmets in RA2.

2- A Conscript killing a SEAL resulted in being promoted to Elite in YR; I could of sworn seeing danpaul drop 2 SEALs with his Conscript

3- God damnit I forgot #3. Like the walls btw, dont care for the cel-shading

EDIT- May I bump the RA2:AR Open Debate thread. I have some questions.

Edited by EVA-251

Guest Leonis

Engineer + IFV repair buildings? That will be interesting, I guess we will find out how it affects gameplay when we do play.

And about Harriers repairing on SD? I thought the AF Command offers that for the VTOLs?

Dude, I hope I'll be able to play this mod when I come back in 2010.

Edited by Leonis

2- A Conscript killing a SEAL resulted in being promoted to Elite in YR; I could of sworn seeing danpaul drop 2 SEALs with his Conscript

AR promotion requirements are not the same as RA2. Porting stuff like that straight from an RTS does not balance well in an FPS. Also the amount of veterancy points you get for killing them depends on how much health they had to begin with...

Nice blog, but I have a few issues with it

1- SEAL model- I thought you were going to change the ugly helmet. SEALs didn't seem to wear helmets in RA2.

3- God damnit I forgot #3. Like the walls btw, dont care for the cel-shading

EDIT- May I bump the RA2:AR Open Debate thread. I have some questions.

1- We had a hat version, but then the guy who did it went AWOL and we never saw the hat texture come our way.

2- See below.

3- Thanks.

About the debate thread, sure you may bump it. cfehunter is going to re-vamp the FAQ soon though.

AR promotion requirements are not the same as RA2. Porting stuff like that straight from an RTS does not balance well in an FPS. Also the amount of veterancy points you get for killing them depends on how much health they had to begin with...

So in other words, it's a better system for the FPS perspective than the original would have been.

Guest GummiBear

nice blog but yeah in RA2 the harrier couldn't land on the SD, but repaired (though very slow) on the ACHQ, or is it gonna be free slow reps on the ACHQ then and then fast rep on SD but cost money?, also can a IFV+engi then rep a harrier that have landed on either the ACHQ or SD maybe both maybe only one of them?

Talking about the Chrono Miner only being able to carry half the load of a war miner, will there be maps with the Ore Purifier that will allow equal loads? Or will it work like APB's silos ?

We'll have to discuss it first, since that hasn'nt been talk about at all.

nice blog but yeah in RA2 the harrier couldn't land on the SD, but repaired (though very slow) on the ACHQ, or is it gonna be free slow reps on the ACHQ then and then fast rep on SD but cost money?, also can a IFV+engi then rep a harrier that have landed on either the ACHQ or SD maybe both maybe only one of them?

Yeah, you'll be able to repair Harriers using a Repair IFV. The Service Depot idea is still rather rough, so we don't know whether we'll use it or not.

Guest MuadDib15

I <3 the fact that you can fix the aiming mode on the V3. Thats one of the things that I didn't like about the V2 in APB. Videos are cool. The maps still remind me of APB though.

out of three you get a 2. -1 being for the map.

Guest EVA-251

Ok, going to point out you could land the Harrier on the Service Depot.

You used force move. ALT-Left Click, I believe. You sometimes had to issue the order again when it was flying over the Service Depot. You could do this to also reassign Harriers when you had multiple airpads.

TeslaBomberLanded.png

Guest GummiBear

but I would clearly label that as a bug or glitch or whatever... as you said you had to use alt+leftclick while the planes in RA1 you could just leftclick so clearly it wasn't intended to be that way in RA1 even though you could do it

Guest Allie29

I wouldn't mind harriers landing for repairs (to make it interesting, I would also like the AFC to give slight, free repairs about equal to that of a mammoth.) Though I wouldn't cite that screenshot, EVA, as "proof" because that's obviously a modded game/map and anything could be changed. I don't know because I never tried to force a harrier to repair on a service depot, but I'm just saying, that screenshot tells me nothing.

Guest GummiBear

I wouldn't mind harriers landing for repairs (to make it interesting, I would also like the AFC to give slight, free repairs about equal to that of a mammoth.) Though I wouldn't cite that screenshot, EVA, as "proof" because that's obviously a modded game/map and anything could be changed. I don't know because I never tried to force a harrier to repair on a service depot, but I'm just saying, that screenshot tells me nothing.

well... I thought the same, but it is true enough I went ingame as soon as I saw this and tried it and it does actually work

Guest Zarconium

Got a couple Q's here

1. Is the Nighthawk going to be invisisble to radar?

2. Will the ACFHQ have a small auto-repair(about 2-5 HP) feature like in RA2?